2016 Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by elkaholic, Aug 25, 2016.

1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. I think Antinella might still be behind Irwin in the depth chart.

I'm sad to see him go also.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad to see Jeff go, I liked him. But, for his career, this is (potentially) a great move. Hopefully he gets a first team gig somewhere.

RSL just free'd up another 95K of cap space. Of course, we also just added to our list of "needs" but this is one you can address pretty easily. In the upcoming draft, find a good GK and take 'em.

3. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are forgetting who RSL's front office consists of. Since when have they shown anything is pretty easy for them? ;)

TheBiff and Kratisto repped this.
  4. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have zero confidence in him. I watched him a lot in the Monarch games. That backheel through the 5-hole when he got to moonlight with RSL against that Mexican team was pretty much par for the course for him.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was against Inter, but point stands
    He isn't great and the (now former) Monarch player I knew said he wasn't first team material. This is why I think we should draft a top rated GK with our 13th pick. Nicky is good for another year, at the least

6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I really don't understand why RSL protected Schuler over Attinella. Weird.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because, Schuler, along with Maund and Glad, make up an exceptional backline. Exceptional.

rslfanboy repped this.
  8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could go into the season comfortable with our CBs or comfortable with our GKs, and apparently decided we could replace a backup GK more easily than getting another starter-quality CB. Whether we actually have that I am unsure, but the FO thinks we do. Hence, protect Schuler, lose Atinella.

9. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would anyone take Schuler, or make a deal with an expansion team (Kreis) to trade for Schuler?

I think the latter scenario is more likely than the former. Jeff was a good value pick in the spirit of Moneyball.

10. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Exceptional in their injury prone-ness?

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schuler was more likely to get picked up with his upside and salary - $62K. RSL gambled on leaving Jeff exposed and lost. I think assuming that RSL protected Schuler as a starter is wrong. I hope thats the case, at least. Schuler is great depth to have but this team needs a DP level CB next to Glad to be successful.

Further, Nicky had an "off" year last year, and still was by no means terrible. He has years left in him. Finding a decent enough backup through the draft or USL is so much easier with a GK than a CB.

I dislike a lot of what Waibel does, but this makes sense

The Franchise, rslfanboy, acima and 3 others repped this.
  12. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having trouble excepting the idea that a player so often injured would be picked by a expansion club.

goobx1 repped this.
  13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm El-ahrairah and I approve this message.

GK, unlike other players, can and do play into their 40's, so Nicky still has some more years left in him (unless he decides to pull a Garlick and retire in February). Given that reasoning, I would think that maybe Antinella asked to be left un-protected so that he could become the number 1 GK at another club.

14. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Keepers are rated by shot stopping, organization, taking crosses, foot skills and physical attributes...
    I rate Attinella at below average at most everything except shot-stopping. There is a reason he is a career backup, and it isn't because he was behind Nick.
    (and if anyone cares - Nick is below average on crosses, average on physical attributes because his quickness makes up for lack of height, and above average on the other three. IMHO of course.)

15. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because replacing a quality GK is genuinely a lot easier than replacing a quality center back.

16. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Maybe they thoug
    I didn't know RSL had a quality center back.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schuler is a quality BACKUP center back. It's hard to find a player with that experience and known upside for the cost. The injury woes are what they are. When I saw the salary numbers, I bought into Schuler coming back. So long as he isn't constantly a starter and/or stealing minutes from Glad.

Glad, btw, is your quality CB

rslfanboy and BalanceUT repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Jeff is a decent enough GK and good enough to be getting first team minutes in MLS. He isn't top 5 or even 10 material, though, as some people (on twitter, especially) like to believe. I agree with a lot of your assessment but don't think he'll ultimately be a career backup. I mean, shit, look at some of the GK's in this league. He'll be middle of the pack or bottom of the middle, I think.

He's definitely better than Saunders and Irwin, IMO. Probably most comparable is Tim Melia.

The Franchise repped this.
  19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad to see the FO and probably most of us have zero faith in Lalo Fernandez.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, a sarcastic comment aimed at those who thought are defense was a strength this year.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @TheCrossbar was tweeting that he was at least somewhat confident in him. One of the few positive notes I've seen on it

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile, over on RSL SoapBox, there's a fan post titled "Wrong Gone" that posits we should have exposed Rimando instead. The poll accompanying the post suggests many people agree with the sentiment, 69-53 right now.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also thinks Glad and Maund were an exceptional CB pairing.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guaran-********ing-tee that had RSL left Rimando exposed and one of the two teams taken him, you'd see an article crying about RSL losing him.

Answer this question for me: name three goalkeepers in this league you don't want to have to play against. Ask anyone that question. Nick Rimando will make the list 99% of the time. You keep Nick. We don't need our moron of a GM having to ******** up another search.

Further, this has been stated, Attinella is good but not great. He'll do fine at Minnesota, but thinking he would step into the RSL #1 spot and we wouldn't see any sort of drop is laughable. Nicky's distribution, alone, is worth keeping him.

one last thing: Nicky isn't the guy you switch to protect Attinella. That's Schuler or Luke

Lizzie Bee and The Franchise repped this.
  25. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the polls allows multiple votes......