2016 End of Season Awards

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

If she isn't interested in a win they need to refund the ticket money.

Lol

The Rivetters would love for it to be left up to the fans.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's buy a ticket and get two beer nights so no one is giving their tickets back

3. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    MVP: Press-The most dangerous player/passer in the NWSL
    Golden Boot: Ohai-figured it out
    Best Goalkeeper: Wys-Solid
    Best Defender: Huster-The reason Washington has had the season they are having!
    Rookie of the Year: Rodriquez-Consistency
    Coach of the Year:parsons-even though they have an AllStar lineup I'm not sure how they pay all those players and stay under the salary cap!

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Parsons, I think you also have to take into account the assembly of the roster. He should get some credit for that, although the GM does too.

Plus, during the international window dates, the Thorns went 2-2-1. In these five games, the Thorns were missing 5 starting players for one game, 6 starters for three games, and 7 starters for one game. Coming out of these games 2-2-1 was critical to where the Thorns are now in the standings and reflects a fantastic coaching job by Parsons.

5. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Going into the final game I'm still uncertain about who should win some awards:

MVP -- Jess McDonald. (Heath would probably win had she played in more games)
    Defender of the year -- Emily Menges or alternatively Lou Barnes
    Rookie: none of them really deserve it....I'll choose one later.
    Goalkeeper: Barnhardt, most saves in the league and kept KC in many games.

6. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Looked at 2016 season stats... Boston keepers take 1 & 2 in GA. Ouch.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

MVP Im down to McDonald and Nadim so id Nadim has an influential match today probably her.
    Rookie Galton
    Coach Holly
    Defender Short
    GK Naeher

8. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Plus she's the only GK in NWSL who played every minute this season

9. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I'm making one change based on the last games

10. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think I'll go with Erica Skroski for rookie of the year. She played nearly every minute -- and Daly and Galton, the other two prime candidates for ROTY, didn't.

As the old saying goes, half of being successful is just showing up.

11. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    For what it's worth, in the eternal and fruitless search for statistics that matter: In 2016:

Portland, by far, committed the most fouls (222); Washington the fewest (139)
    Orlando suffered the most fouls (187); Chicago the fewest (133).
    Most fouls committed and suffered: (1) Portland (401); (2) Boston (350); Fewest: (1) Seattle (290); (2) Chicago (294).

Players committing most fouls were (1) Nadim (32); Groom (31); (3) Schillgard and Lohman (27).
    Players suffering most fouls were : (1) Spenser (33); (2) Heath (30); and (3) Long (27)
    Total fouls committed and suffered: (1) Heath (55); (2) Nadim (53); (3) Groom (49); (4) Huerta and Long (46)

I guess one concludes that Portland is the most aggressive team -- and Heath the most aggressive player, especially since she played fewer minutes than most other players on this list.

Spenser "winning" the foul suffered category tells me that defenders are worried about her breakaway speed.

I think Grooms high ranking in fouls committed is a a hangover from her rookie season when she acquired a reputation as an over-aggressive player. I thought she was more controlled this year.

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    MVP: McDonald
    Best Goalkeeper: Naeher
    Best Defender: Menges
    Rookie of the Year: Not sure if any rookie stood out like previous seasons.
    Coach of the Year: Gabarra. It was a toss up between Gabarra and Riley but I give the edge to Gabarra as WNY did have a favorable schedule (long home stand and playing Boston 4X).

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    No big match for Nadim so Im going with McDonald so here's my final list and who I think will win despite all logic

............................Me.................Them
    Golden Boot....Williams
    MVP.................McDonald.......Heath
    Coach...............Holly...............Gabarra
    Rookie..............Galton.............Sonnett
    Defender...........Short...............????
    Goalkeeper........Naeher...........Naeher

14. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I'm kind of surprised so many are saying Gabarra for coach. I know people were down on him at the beginning of the year but that was him and not the team. Meanwhile the team hasn't looked so great at the end of the season with his micromanaging choices.

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could one conclude that most teams think the only way to compete with the Thorns is to foul them?

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If that was the case, Portland would be leading in fouls suffered, not fouls committed.

17. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Thorns are pretty close to the most fouls suffered with 179, compared to Orlando's most at 187, plus the Thorns have two of the three most fouled players.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #43 SiberianThunderT, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    If you want to bring in individual player stats, Portland also the the biggest foul committer in the league as well as numbers 5-7 (two players at 25 FC and one at 23 FC while no other players aside from those Smallcheif listed have more than 21 FC); conversely, POR has no players at 22-26 FS compared to six players from other teams in that range. Not to mention that Portland's team FC of 222 is nearly 30 above the next team while Portland's FS is within 10 on both sides of the nearest other teams - POR's an outlier in FC but within the pack of FS. If teams felt like they needed to foul to stop POR from being so good, those would be flipped - you don't commit more fouls if you're reacting to rough play, you commit more fouls if you're making the rough play. What we're seeing here is that POR are more like thugs and are dragging their opponents down with them in the fouls department because that's the kind of game POR forces other teams to play.

I mean, just look at games where POR is at home and blowing out their opponent - 4-1 vs DC, 5-1 vs BOS, 3-0 vs HOU. POR led by at least four FC in all of them, which makes absolutely no sense for a team at home and winning handily if you want to assume it's the other teams trying to foul their way to slowing POR down. One could argue that POR's physicality is part of the reason they've done so well this year. Now, the one home game I can see where they were out-fouled was also the only home loss, so there's some credence there. However, it's just one game, which looks to me like it's the exception that proves the rule (they still fouled more in the following away losses to HOU and SEA).

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    CoachJon repped this.
  20. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
  21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I voted for
    Heath MVP
    Gilliland Def
    Daly Rookie
    Gabarra Coach
    Naeher GK

which means when I picked without the NWSLs help 4 of my 5 winners didnt even make their ballot

Best IX was

Naeher
    Gilliland
    Short
    Menges
    Monica
    DiBernardo
    Edmonds
    Heath
    Ohai
    Williams
    McDonald

22. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    They more or less picked the right options, regarding end-of-season awards. A couple quibbles: they picked the wrong CRS outside back! Casey Short had a much more consistent season than Gilliland. To be honest I think Gilliland regressed a bit this year. I keep hoping her technical skills improve to match her work rate and pace, but so far no. Finally, the committee probably felt compelled to only pick one WNY forward, and went for Williams over McDonald. How McDonald doesn't make the MVP list on her merits is perplexing.

kernel_thai repped this.
  23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My picks:

Rookie- Daly
    Defender- Menges
    Keeper- Naeher (it was extremely close between her and Betos)
    Coach- Riley
    MVP- Williams

Best XI:

Barnhart
    Short
    Gilliland
    Menges
    Dahlkemper
    DiBernardo
    Edmonds
    Ohai
    Groom
    McDonald
    Williams

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the first-round voters really whiffed on a lot of these... Anyway, my picks:

Rookie: 1-Rodriguez, 2-Daly, 3-Sonnet
    Keeper: 1-Naeher, 2-Harris, 3-Betos [No Barney and neither Spirit 'keeper when both Harris and Betos are questionable]
    Defender: 1-Barnes, 2-Gilliland, 3-Menges, 4-Johnson, 5-Brunn [Neither USWNTer option impressed me this season, and no Short is a crime]
    MVP: 1-Ohai, 2-Press, 3-Williams, 4-Heath, 5-Long [No McDonald and no Nadim... I don't know what people are thinking]

Best XI
    ---------------Labbe---------------
    -Gilliland-Short-Barnes-Oyster-
    ------Nadim------Rodriguez------
    -Press-Ohai-McDonald-Williams-

kernel_thai repped this.
  25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jess McDonald not being an MVP finalist is seriously wrong. I dare say Lynn Williams would agree.

And either Tobin Heath was MVP on the Thorns or Long was, but not both. Mark Parsons would vote for Effin Tobin Heath.