2016 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Dec 6, 2015.

1. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Has anyone else noticed that USC's main goal scorers are all transfers (Morgan Andrews/Notre Dame, Alex Anthony/Maryland). And their one goal yesterday to send them to the NCAA tourney elite-8 was scored by their 4th leading scorer, Leah Pruitt/San Diego State. Only one of their top four scorers is not a transfer. And their 1st team All-PAC-12 GK (Sammy Jo Prudhomme) is a transfer from Oregon State. Makes it kind of hard for the critics of CU's transfers to be too self-righteous about things.

2. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And all transfers under mcalpine. He has completely changed the culture of the program. This year was his first recruiting class as well and it sets him and the program to be a powerhouse for years to come
    For what it's worth Alex Anthony graduated from Maryland in 3 years and enrolled in USC s grad program. She redshirted one year so she still has another year of eligibility. Pretty impressive from the Colorado native

3. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    #678 BuffsPios, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Yes, at least on paper, Mcalpine's recruiting seems to be almost on par with Stanford's and UCLA's. But as we know, that level of recruiting doesn't always transfer (pardon the pun) to getting far into the NCAA tourney (obviously USC has done the best in the conference in that regard this year.) IMO, if CU can steadily stay in the top half of the PAC-12 conference standings year-in and year-out, that's success. Hard to beat finishing in a tie for 2nd during a team re-building year. Granted, the Buffs are losing their two Senior starting forwards for 2017, but I think we'll be all right. I have a gut feeling that we'll see a talented surprise or two additional 2017 recruits and/or impact transfer(s) or international(s) added between now and August, including some additional up-top talent. We already have one of the top forwards in the west coming in with the 2017 class...and...she's from Colorado! And another intriguing 2017 talented forward prospect from Cali. And we have terrific returning starting-level offensive talent in Stephanie Zuniga and Camilla Shymka, and probably someone else I'm not thinking of. I doubt they'd put her up there after such a strong showing in the backline, but Erin Greening has proven she has a nose for the goal when playing forward, and she is such a tough, strong and aggressive presence anywhere she plays. It just seems that when the whistle blows at game time in the PAC-12, there's a lot more parity in the league than the recruiting rankings would predict, including BTW...coaching-talent parity.

4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  5. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I had an inkling about the Cassie Phillips/Maryland transfer from some detective work...I also have another couple of inklings...very exciting ones in fact. We'll see. Boy, did Maryland have a kick-in-the-gut season. Really tough. Ms. Phillips will add some experienced talent and depth to our midfield contingent. On the topic of the Trojans, the one game I wish we could play again, other than a couple of the early season non-league games, is the USC game. Our legs and brains looked dead-tired from the first whistle. It was more than USC playing well. We seemed worn-out, and perhaps it was partly due to having had such a string of pressure performances on the road where we put our all into them and were successful, plus being at home after a road trip and having to attend to and catch-up with school and other real-life needs. But on the average day, I think we are much closer to USC than that game indicated.

6. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Sounds like good news...i sure hope that your other exciting news has something to do with a couple of experienced forwards that will transfer in. We need some playmakers up top. Although we have a few freshman forwards coming in, we need more experience as that needs to be the most creative part of the field and most freshman don't have the confidence to get it done right away like Kornieck and Aaknes did. Although I think that one from Colorado Storm might be able to get it done. Those first few pre-season games have much to do with our RPI and standings that we need some experience up there right off the bat. No more losing to the likes of Mich St, Mizzou and Kansas anymore..:)

7. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    #682 BuffsPios, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Katalyst - One of the inklings I have fits the need you describe very well. An offensive presence coming in to her own and on the way to being a dominant one I think. Strong and fast too. I'll say no more until I know it's really happening. The Buff player possibilities from my amateur detective work have not always come to fruition...but I have a pretty good feeling about this one. And to reiterate, I have absolutely zero inside information...just a fan with too much time on his hands. For example, I had no idea that Emily Bruder and Megan Massey were transferring in this year until the formal announcement on the CU website was made, and someone I thought might be coming didn't. I think we're going to have a very good team next year no matter what. But I agree it would help to have more experience up top. I think we're at least partly there with the current roster. It's the experience, mind-set, and confidence that our already talented forwards need. If they don't rise to the occasion early enough next season, and we don't add someone with those qualities, then I would definitely put Erin Greening up top and put someone else in her place on the backline. Erin is a kick-butt presence up top...she's a goal scorer...totally has that mentality and physicality.

Katalyst repped this.
  8. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am now even more confident about some fantastic players arriving in Boulder in August, but they may not be formally known until then. Thanksgiving indeed...(I hope.)

9. Oredigger

Oredigger Guest

Are you in touch with or a part of his "rule circumventing" recruiting network? Or do you even know about that? It's well known in the college soccer world, and not positively viewed.

10. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Oredigger...If you're referring to me, no...I am not aware of the network you mentioned above. My info and hypotheses are based purely on social media detective work that's in the open and available to anyone who looks for it. With the Rapids and Buffs now done for the year, my focus is on the DU Men who have advanced to the NCAA Elite 8 and play Clemson at their place this weekend. I suppose I will root for USC in the Women's tourney, and based on what's left in the bracket, IMHO they should be considered the favorite to win the title. But...it's soccer.

11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Since I am ignorant of any such thing, I'd love to learn what you may know about such a network that is "well known in the college soccer world." Thanks in advance for sharing.

12. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I know this is a Buffs forum, but can't help but report that the DU Men beat Clemson 1-0 tonight and are into the Men's Championship Semis December 9th against North Carolina. A header at '89.

You probably already know that it's the USC Women in the College Cup Final Sunday vs. West Virginia. USC 1-0 vs. Georgetown tonight.

13. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Correction - In the Final Four semis the DU Men will face the winner of the Wake Forest-Virginia Tech game being played this afternoon (Saturday 12/3). If it's Wake Forest, it will be DU's new coach vs. DU's former coach.

14. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Men's NCAA...DU lost 1-0 in OT to Wake Forest in the Semis. Wake Forest lost to Stanford in the Final. Stanford wins two years in a row.

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  18. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Christmas just came early...looks like we just got a fantastic transfer from UGA. Colorado native and previous national team experience. I heard she was lightening fast..:) very exciting. maybe Im late to the party on this news, but I just found out yesterday.

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Rebecca (Becca) Rasmussen - There's a bit of discussion about her in the 2017 Colorado Buffaloes thread. She's one of three newcomers that are entering the program during the spring semester.

20. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Oredigger - Saw on TDS that the young lady you know transferred. Best of luck to her and the family. A little closer to home. I'll check-in with what's happening with her new team in 2017. Hope she has a great experience.