2016 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Dec 6, 2015.

1. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2016-11-3_15-36-35.png

A playoff RPI, ya think ??

2. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rankings:

1. West Virginia (Go Mountaineers !!)
    3. Stanford
    5. USC
    18. UCLA
    21. California
    22. Colorado
    23. Utah
    24. Kansas (we played them)
    Receiving votes:
    36. Missouri (we played them)

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's looking like they're quite secure to be playing in the post-season. Pretty amazing.

4. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Go Buffs! Kick some bUTt today!

5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 1, Utah 1

Fortunate. Utah had the run of play after halftime. Details later, life is interfering again.

Picked tenth in the conference, finished third. Good season.

AND, we host a playoff game next Saturday, opponent to be determined.

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Not sure the announcer was saying for sure CU will host next weekend. I heard it as they have a shot at doing so and we'll know Sunday.

As for today's match, I felt both teams had the opportunities to win. In regulation with the Buffs up 1-0 Stephanie Zuniga got behind the defense by about half a step and was able to get a clean shot off, it when high. In the first OT Utah had a free kick that totally beat the wall and JJ. It found the bar. My take was the teams were pretty even in terms of play.

7. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I maybe was hallucinating, I thought Coach Sanchez announced to the multitude as the team came over to the sideline that we were hosting a game on Saturday. Those voices get irritating sometimes.

I got up at 3AM after nowhere near enough sleep to go to work at 4, it is now after 9PM and I am babbling incoherently and complete sentences are a struggle, so details on the game will have to wait. Shots were 30-13 Buffs, on goal 8-7. We missed a few.

Kahlia played !! SO good to see her back. Mom and Dad traveled from Papua New Guinea to see her on Senior Day.

It's not over as I write this, but in the second half, UCLA 1, USC 0.

8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    From cubuffs.com :

UP NEXT: CU will find out its opponent for the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Monday. The NCAA Selection Show will be streamed live on NCAA.com at 2:30 p.m.

9. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Looks like the Women of Troy ate something...

USC 0 - 1 UCLA

10. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Women's Soccer Committee will do the seeds -- four #1s, four #2s, etc. One thing that is not open to the public is whether they actually will place all 16 seeds in the bracket, just some of them, or none of them. My best guess has been that they will place the four #1s, at a minimum, and maybe more of the seeds, but not all of them. Once the seeds are placed, I believe (but don't know for sure) that the NCAA's computer program steps in and places the remaining teams so as to minimize travel costs, taking into account that teams from the same conference cannot face each other in the first two rounds. After the computer has done that, I believe the Committee takes a look at the tentative bracket and can move teams around some to assure that the different portions of the bracket are not grossly disproportionately weighted. Once the pairings are set, seeded teams get to host and, where there is not a seeded team, the team with the better ARPI gets to host assuming it has bid to host and has a field that meets NCAA standards (Colorado does) -- there is nothing about this in the rules, but it is what the Committee always has done.

11. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which ties the Buffs with USC for second in the conference, behind Stanford. Utah and UCLA tie for fourth, Cal comes in sixth. UCLA only had two shots on goal, but one found that upper corner of the goal where even a tall and talented goalkeeper couldn't get it.

Apparently Coach Sanchez was telling the multitude that he had put in a bid for us to host a playoff game next Saturday, not that we already were. Besides being feeble-minded, I don't hear well.

12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Final Conference Standings:

upload_2016-11-5_10-53-45.png

13. arcadiandj

arcadiandj Member

May 3, 2016
    Am I off base in thinking BYU's coach is VERY nervous?;)

I imagine there are many prayer chains in Utah dedicated to BYU not facing the Lady Buffs in the tournament.

14. jerricah

jerricah New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Not to rain on anyone's parade, but BYU has handily outplayed the Buffs in all of their meetings -- even when CU won. I'm sure they'd actually love a revenge match -- especially since they're playing at an incredibly level. Objectively better than the Buffs. BYU is also due a 3/4 seed. The CU girls do not want to head to Provo if they care about keeping their season alive.

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Agreed with the above. CU has improved tremendously since last season, but BYU does look to be one of the top programs in the country right now. Playing them in Provo would be a massive challenge for the Buffs.

16. arcadiandj

arcadiandj Member

May 3, 2016
    CU can totally beat them, and given they have knocked them out of the tournament twice, I would love to see it happen AGAIN!

17. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It's certainly no certainty that CU will play BYU. If the bracket is partially based on saving money by having teams not traveling far, one would think that it would make the most sense for BYU to play Utah in Round 1. That might garner a heck of a crowd as well. The bracketology this year could be very interesting. But if we do end up playing BYU in Round 2, for example, I hope it's a day game. A night game in Provo is a big home advantage for them...but that being said, we are overdue for a win there, day or night...and "it's soccer."

18. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If CU won the National Championship, Top Drawer Soccer would probably rank us 5th or 6th. Today's new TDS rankings have UCLA, Utah and Cal ranked above us (we are 27th.) My guess is we'll still be top 25 in the other more legitimate and less biased forums. It's also a joke that TDS has Penn State ranked as low as 25th, let alone some other wacky team placements. Looking forward to seeing who we'll be playing in the tourney this weekend. Go Buffs!

19. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Adjusted RPI has:

UCLA 11
    Utah 21
    Penn State 27
    Colorado 29
    California 32

Massey, whose system I believe does the best job, has:

UCLA 9
    Utah 15
    Colorado 17
    California 18
    Penn State 22

When you're looking at rating systems, it's important to remember that the systems really can't make exact distinctions among teams. Looking at these, what I really get is that Utah, Penn State, Colorado, and Cal all performed about the same over the course of the entire season, with Utah perhaps having performed slightly better. UCLA performed the best.

20. Sidenetting1964

Sidenetting1964 New Member

Dec 26, 2015
    RPI is a joke. The fact that CU has 11 of the same common opponents, league games, that UCLA and Utah has and is ranked lower than those teams is beyond me. CU finished better against those common opponents which should be a huge factor. I understand strength of non league games is an issue but league games should matter more than they apparently do.

21. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League games matter the same as any other games, for the RPI.

22. Oredigger

Oredigger Guest

Oklahoma State it is.

23. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Boulder it is, noon on Saturday. It will not snow.

24. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Complete BS that Danny Sanchez didn't get PAC-12 Coach of the Year. If not him, then the Utah coach should have. The Stanford coach got it....yawn. Danica and Taylor 1st Team Pac-12, JJ and Taylor PAC-12 Freshman Team, Taylor...Pac-12 Freshman of the Year...got that one right.

25. arcadiandj

arcadiandj Member

May 3, 2016
    I agree, they should have given that award to Danny! And really WONDERFUL to see the other ladies get such accolades!