2016 ACC Soccer thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Ben.D

Ben.D New Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I don't think players can transfer to another team in the same conference. That I was told but I never looked it up.

2. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    She has a concussion and can't fly. No chance she is transferring.

3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I don't think that there is a NCAA rule about not transferreing within a conference, but the conference itself usually has a culture or the proverbial "gentleperson's agreement" not to roil the waters by poaching league players.

4. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happened with Seiler going from Georgia to Florida in the SEC.

5. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    You can transfer from one ACC school to another, but you have to sit out a full academic year before competing, and it counts as one of your years of competition eligibility.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/ACCEligibilityRules.pdf

6. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As per previous post she is injured and cant travel

7. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
  8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fans should hold up 8s at 08' :)

9. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks for tracking this ACC policy down. It's good to see it in writing.

Yes, I know such transfers are not illegal by conference rules, but they are (in the ACC at least) very rare in comparison to transferring out to schools in other conferences. Perhaps the one year sit-out is the huge deterrent to such transfers, but I think that there also must be a strong culture or verbal agreement within the conference that keeps it from happening. (And I assume that that culture or informal agreement is in effect so as to not engender personal animosity between fellow coaches or athletic department personnel who from time to time must sit on conference committees and work together. It woluld be like fouling your nest professionally and it might be hard to integrate a new player onto the team too.)

For example, I can not recall any of the perhaps 40 (+-) players who have transferred out from the UNC soccer team in the past 37 years ending up at a fellow ACC school. And I am only aware of a single player transferring "in" being from a fellow ACC school. (I can't recall her name at the moment, but she came from NCSU in the 1980s.) I am undoubtedly inadequately informed, but I am not aware of athletes in all ACC schools and sports who have transferred within the conference. Are you?

10. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I think you're right. I think most ACC coaches think going down that transfer route would be more trouble than the player in question would be worth. They would most likely end up in an AD's office, explaining themselves.