2016-17 UEFA Champions League Quarter-final 2nd Leg: AS Monaco vs. Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Apr 18, 2017.

1. bumbleBeeVB

bumbleBeeVB Member+

Aug 6, 2014
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shitty piszcek passes account for 2 goals this tie. Why does passlack not play? Why if we must play durm doesn't he play? Jesus

2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well... Our season's pretty much over. That sucks. :(

3. lamcam

lamcam Member

May 19, 2004
    California
    Next season is going to be the same. I have a feeling.

4. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Tuchel thinks Passlack isn't ready, then Dortmund needs to find a new rb for next season, as well as an elite cb. Piszcek is not good enough at this level anymore.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  5. lamcam

lamcam Member

May 19, 2004
    California
    A bunch of shitty players.

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A lot of players on this team aren't pulling their weight, from this lineup Piszczek, Ginter, and Durm in particular. Everyone needs to be examined carefully and deadweight needs to be sold off.

7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    More trust needs to be placed in young players like Passlack and Merino and less in mediocrity like Piszczek and Durm.

inten repped this.
  8. lamcam

lamcam Member

May 19, 2004
    California
    BVB now looks like an average Bundesliga club. Not the same one as the one under Klopp that I loved!

9. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Will this happen?

10. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    build up play was too sloppy. Durm was a poor selection, but taking off Sahin who was contributing quite a bit to build up for Schmelzer makes zero sense

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I expect it to a certain degree. You can't overhaul the whole team, but larger roles need to be given to the youth and less to those who have put in nothing but average to below average performances.

12. thisisthelife

thisisthelife Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    So much players need to go. Tuchel and Watzke need to be held accountable for this mediocre season. Bizarre team selection, no consistency whatsoever, absurd purchases and no real replacement for our departures. Perfect mixture for all that has happened this season. Hope Monaco win the CL, would be a welcome surprise.

Dave46, eaglespark and Obsidian repped this.
  13. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Apr 22, 2012
    near Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Scary how shit your defense is. Schmelzer, Piszczek and Ginter are brutally mediocre and you guys have to invest in some quality (Toprak...god gawd). I am not sure if this will happen to some degree and as I´m afraid you will rather invest in some more medium quality staff. Shame really. No disrespect to Monaco, great performance and great team with some huge momentum going on around them, but BVB should be able to beat them at least once (under normal circumstances of course).

14. lamcam

lamcam Member

May 19, 2004
    California
    This coach is not good enough, IMO!

15. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Welp. Monaco has been the better team, fair play to them and hope they do well in the later rounds. Hope the summer will result in a more balanced squad for next season, because there are too many pedestrians in our squad currently.

Dave46 repped this.
  16. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Watzke once mentioned that a bigger overhaul would have happened had Klopp stayed. I think something close to that could happen. Ginter will most likely leave, he can see the writing on the wall. But there are others who are either past it or who don't contribute in a meaningful way consistently and who are holding us back.

17. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    u r very positive about our next season there

18. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Disappointing and I have to say I was guilty of overestimating certain players. Weigl when it gets to the really big games lets his nerves take over.

Really this loss is down to two main reasons.
    1. Tuchel's stupid tactics.
    2. Too many bad players in the starting lineup.

Ginter, Durm, Piszczek, Sahin and Schmelzer are all just not good enough and should never be starting.

Sahin can't run and it was a mistake to play him. Everyone knows that Monaco come out hard and then tire. Sahin should have been brought on later.

Demebel should have played on the right wing and had to run at the team.

Kagawa had a good game, but he showed his limitations. He simply can't play with his back to goal, his touch just not good enough.

I don't see Auba staying.

If Tuchel had not played stupid tactics all season, had given youngsters a chance, had not played average players then maybe things will be different.

The only match that matters now is the Bayern cup game.

Reus should be rested, because he was dead from aboiut 60 minutes, but this is the team that should play every game, when fit from now to the end.

---------Burki-----------
    Passlack---Sokratis---Bartra/Bender---Raphael
    -------------Weigl--------Merino
    Dembele-----------Kagawa----------Reus
    -----------------Auba-----------------

Pulisic can come in for Reus this weekend.

Ginter, Schurrle, Park and Sahin should all be sold.

I am inclined to let Tuchel go. He is a manager that wants to show the world how clever he is, despite his great training. Dembele should have been told to hug the touch line and run at the full back. Sahin should not have gone off and Raphael should have stayed on the left.

19. lamcam

lamcam Member

May 19, 2004
    California
    Monaco is a good team, but they will get kill next round!

20. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Overall - tough loss to take given the quality we had. Nonetheless, the guys looked mentally exhausted, which given the recent 10 days is 100% understandable.

With that said, Watzke and Tuchel need to take a hard look in the mirror. Tuchel once again tried to get cute in his formation, and it cost them dearly. Tuchel is a great coach, but like Pep he has a tendency to overthink/over complicate things in my opinion (especially in big games). Watzke on the other hand has no such excuses..... he built this team incorrectly with no plan in the midfield.

Full credit to Monaco, they are a devastating team going forward.

Moving into the summer I agree with @MatthausSammer that we desperately need to rid ourselves of dead-weight players.
    - Somehow Schurrle always seems to be in shape for the National team, yet hardly ever gets off the stands for his club. Sorely, sorely disappointed in his contribution both on and off the pitch.
    - Many may not like Toprak, but let's all agree he is a significant improvement on Ginter.
    - Rode, well the less said there the better.

Berchtesgaden and eaglespark repped this.
  21. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    Ginter, Durm, LP, Rode, Castro should leave. Another season for Gotze, Schmelzer and Schurrle. Need an 8, RB,, good CB. Socratis was fine. And if Auba leaves, we need a good forward.

22. lamcam

lamcam Member

May 19, 2004
    California
    I am sure that we will see the same faces next season!

23. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Apr 22, 2012
    near Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ditto. Don´t think that the "overhaul" will really be that big. Dortmund had an huge overhaul last season so I think their main goal will be to calm things up and form an unite out of this young team. I guess we will see Ginter, Park and Rode leave (maybe Sahin as well). Other than that, there won´t be that much changes I assume.

lamcam repped this.
  24. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Schurrle is never fit. We could have used him in the first or second leg, but he is worse than Reus when it comes to injuries.

The league should be about next season now.

Dahoud is a good 8.
    We need to find out now if Passlack is good enough at right back, if not then sign one.
    Toprak is such a poor signing.

25. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I want to add that imho the bombing and the delay before the match should not be discounted.

We lost a good defender and were clearly off in game one. Then we get the delay today and concede early. These events were not minor and had a huge impact on the two legs.

This is not meant to take anything away from Monaco. Not their fault.

Finally I agree a thorough review of the needs to be done after the season. That said we have a good core of players.

Heja BVB

Liquid1010 repped this.