2016-17 Offseason Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Has he lived in the US previously? If he just started when he came over last year, it's hard to believe he could have qualified already.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which makes no sense because the Crew site is part of the MLS site.

4. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    A real Captain Jack-Sparrow-captain-jack-sparrow-7793341-500-313.jpg

TRUJDUB repped this.
  5. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2131 mmradio13, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Please, tell us more about all the professional locker rooms you've been a part of. Who was your favorite captain? What specifically about playing with Wil did you find least inspiring? What have you heard from the current Crew SC team that makes you know you're right and that Gregg and the players are wrong?

josiahp and crew2112 repped this.
  7. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Superior love and knowledge of Italian footie. Duh.

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I once was invited into the Sixers locker room after receiving tickets from the team chaplain and received Hersey Hawkins shoes after the final game of the season. How many have you been in?

Among others, John Terry is up there in soccer. I didn't love him as a player, but I respected Dunga as a captain. Baseball doesn't have captains, but Jimmy Rollins was a great leader for the Phillies. My absolute favorite is Captain from Captain and Tennille. Without Captain's leadership we probably would never have had Muskrat Love reach the heights it did.

His rather meek personality. The fact that his growth as a player was stagnant last season at best, and virtually everyone with eyes to see would say he regressed. The fact that as the team blew up early in the season last year that he, like Pipa and so many others, did nothing to speak up or hold the team together and left the most productive teammate of 2015 dangling in the wind. The fact that he captained one of the most disappointing US U-23 teams to embarrassing failure and failed to qualify for the Olympics.

I've heard a lot about culture. I believe when the inaugural culture power rankings come out that Wil's close ties to Columbus will land us at the top of the MLS Culture Power Rankings. I look forward to website pieces about Wil's support of local art, chefs, food trucks, and brewers. I think these are all wonderful things. I also have seen Gregg make wrong decisions, spew bullshit, and try to paint the turd that was last season all the way through September. He was wrong in all those cases. He could be wrong now as well. It happens.

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Calcio, @Draghignazzo. Calcio.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  10. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I almost went there, but figured fewer would get it; not sure why I cared.

11. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    With a leadership council it's easier to drop your captain

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's actually a good point considering the wealth of holding/defensive midfielders we now have and Trapp's form last year. You would hope that Berhalter has the balls to drop him if his form remains as uninspired as last year.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2138 Kryptonite, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

In some cases, it's great to have strong competition between spots. See Friedel/Keller for proof. It keeps both guys fighting for the job and there's nothing wrong with that.

We had a similar situation years ago with Mark Dougherty and another guy. They were both listed as jersey #1/#33 in the program (back when they actually had magazine-sized paper programs), with a notation saying the starter would wear #1 and the backup would be #33.

Could this be similar, sans quality? Time will tell.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  14. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Was the other keeper Tom Presthus?

15. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the dim recesses of my memory, doesn't Naess have an American parent?

16. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

17. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Leadership Council should take it in turns to be a sort of executive captain for the week, but all decisions of the executive captain should be ratified at a special half time or a full time meeting, by a simple majority in the case of purely tactical affairs, but by a two thirds majority in the case of overall strategy.

svc641, odave, CrewV Man and 6 others repped this.
  18. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing screams inspiring leadership quite like racism and ********ing a teammate's girlfriend.

19. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Harkes.....Captain for Life. Enough said.

puttputtfc repped this.
  20. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

21. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Praise for our Eternal and Supreme Captain, Wil Trapp, from prominent member of the Crew Curiate, Justin Meram:

22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Dude has 4 league titles, 5 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, a Europa League, a Champions League, and was loved by his teammates (off all colors), and some of his teammates wives. Seems that he did a pretty good job all things considered.

23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I appreciate Merman's enthusiasm. I'm not sure if Trapp should be starting based on last year but someone has to wear the armband in our 4-0 pummeling of Chicago tomorrow.

josiahp and hangthadj repped this.
  24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a problem with Trapp thing. Wil Trapp needs to raise his game this year. Perhaps mine is a rose-colored interpretation, but I see this as being a situation where he's being challenged to step up. This feel like a make or break year for Trapp. If he returns to and builds upon the form he showed before last season, he'll become a player that starts getting called into USMNT camps and therefore deserving of being our captain. If he plays like he did last year, well, it's not like he's being named a Supreme Court Justice. Another member of the leadership team can be asked to step up.

That leadership council sounds a bit new-age-y to me, but my guess is it's just an attempt to get more guys, who should be seen as leaders, invested in the club's performance beyond just how well they're doing individually. Plus, you always need someone to take the armband when the captain isn't there, and this identifies the group of players who obviously will fill that role.

Mostly, though, I don't give a shit. This team needs leadership, and I don't necessarily associate that with the guy who happens to be the captain. It's not one person's job.

Robbiegoal and Tobias C repped this.
  25. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, didn't you hear, you're supposed to care about the captain because the only way a team can be successful is if the captain is a 100% perfect mold of what each fan wants them to be based on their professional soccer experience and knowledge of the current team's locker room culture.