2016-17 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    bballshawn, ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Bonetti, MARCH_, ielag and 2 others repped this.
  3. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    #253 CANPRO, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Don't know where to put this, so I'll try in here. Former Vancouver Whitecaps USSDA standout Sam Adekugbe has been in the starting lineup lately for #2nd place Championship club Brighton & Hove Albion in league play. He hasn't really gotten a sniff with the Whitecaps (just like other former USSDA legends like Marco Bustos) but seems to have found his feet while on loan after some injury problems.

xbhaskarx, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Pl@ymaker and luftmensch repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I find this story kinda interesting. Kid wanted to play high school soccer, so played for FCD "Premier" teams (which is one level below the academy). He got a scholarship to Tulsa, and is supposedly pretty good.

“I think in the next few years we're going to have a player that may come back and be a professional at FC Dallas that maybe didn't go through our Academy, but did play within our club,” Dymond said. “I don't see him right now being ready, by any means, but over the next four years he has the athletic ability to be able to be successful in MLS.”

Brotheryoungbuck and TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    EEEEfus................

TxEx, Anderson11 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I like the fact that they're having these U12/U13 futsal competitions down in Texas.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're happening all over the country, wherever there's a DA league in those age groups.

http://www.ussoccerda.com/20170120-five-things-to-know-development-academy-winter-futsal-showcase

9. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @3four3's Tweet:

This is good. Granted, we have to tune out Kleiban's hyper-enthusiasm, but this seems to fit with the new regime's philosophy. Sepulveda is a '01 who attended the recent U16 camp.

Tactical Hipster and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm pretty sure he captains the U-16's. Don't know much other than he's a CB, and hasn't looked good in the highlights I've watched.

12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I haven't watched him enough to form a solid opinion, but it's clear that the Gals have upped their commitment in providing good opportunities for their DA players. Between 10-12 U16 players (along with U14 E. Alvarez) have been consistently playing up with the U18s, and several players have had time with Los Dos. This is how it should be with MLS DAs.

13. Way2late

Way2late New Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Pomykal, Ferriera and Cannon played in the DA game against Solar today. FCD won 1-0.

TCS35 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #266 Clint Eastwood, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Hopefully this is the last game Cannon plays with the U18s. I get it. They don't have any more pre-season games, and want to give Reggie playing time, etc. He's a first team player now that's already played at the NCAA level.

Solar is really coming on strong now, and is really a nice option for kids that don't want to go "whole hog" into the development academy. Had an alumnus selected in the first round of the MLS draft. Regan Dunk at #13 to RSL. And, of course, the have one of the top "class of 2019" prospects in Blaine Ferri (if not THE top prospect).

Dallas Texans also had a first round pick in Brandon Aubrey, who went to TFC at #21.

By the way, Walker Hume (FCD's 2nd round pick that they recently signed to a contract) played for much-maligned Classics Elite. Good. We need more players being developed in San Antonio. And we need some new blood in defense for when we secede.

TCS35 repped this.
  15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @SamMcDowell11's Tweet:

Things won't happen overnight. However, this is another example of the continuing maturation of the DA, esp. by many of the MLS teams.

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  16. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
  17. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the story about how the Revs are establishing a national network of affiliates to compensate for a relative lack of talent in New England in order to stay competitive among the rising ambition of their fellow MLS clubs:

[​IMG]

bballshawn, Mahtzo1, dougtee and 2 others repped this.
  19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At first I was all irritated about this.

But then I realized that I needed to appreciate this as something that is such a pure, distilled version of the Revs. It's art.

ielag and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    RSL leaving Casa Grande after this season. Would guess they move to the Frontier Division.

"The Arizona-based academy program–including Vasquez’ staff–will relocate to Utah late Summer 2017, with an anticipated December 2017 move for RSL and Monarchs from Rio Tinto Stadium to the Herriman campus.

Additionally, the campus would house a 5,000-seat stadium for Real Monarchs’ regular-season games, a future NWSL women’s team, and local college/high school use, amongst other programming. The Herriman campus will also be the site of a 300-student “STEM” charter school (Science/Technology/Engineering/Math; although we joke about the “S” standing for Soccer) for local boys and girls, including the club’s academy players. Dormitory-style housing is planned for the academy teams, which will grow to three next year when the U-14 class is added."

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...17/03/03/real-salt-lake-mls-ambition-rankings

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd imagine it will be a lot easier, from a logistical standpoint, to give U18 academy kids a cup of coffee (or more) with the USL squad.

23. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    It would be smart for another MLS Team to latch onto the Casa Grande Academy.

It has been good to Real Salt Lake. It doesn't work as well with clubs that have USL Teams although you could run parallel program. A team like Minn United who are just starting out or some of the less ambitious academy clubs like Houston, etc. could get some more legs out of it. Not like Glad was from Utah and RSL sent him down to AZ. He relocated to go to RSL-AZ. Others could do the same. In a lot of respects it is better than relocating to Kansas City and staying with a host family like Gianluco Busio and juggling attending the local HS as well.