2016-17 Coppa Italia

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by Salvatore Giuseppe, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Palermo's first Coppa opponent will be decided Sunday in a match between Bari (Seriei B) and Cosenza (Lega Pro).

Palermo will play the winner at home on August 13th.

I would bet all my money that, if Palermo loses, Ballardini gets fired.

2. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, hey- the domestic cup. Is this something that's been broadcast here in the States in the past or will I be struggling to find a stream? The Google doesn't tell me much and I don't recall ever seeing these games on BeIN, et al.

3. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I'm not sure, last year GOLTV had the rights for the semifinal and final, I would be surprised if an TV outlet in the states has picked up these early rounds. I'm not even sure if Palermo's first cup game has always been televised at all in the past. Seems like I remember at least one year recently where it wasn't.

harrylee773 repped this.
  4. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gol TV? Wow- totally thought they were gone forever. Oh well, if Palermo advance to a stage where the games are televised to any extent, looks like streaming it is...

5. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    If I find anything about what channel is showing it (either in the states or elsewhere) I'll try to post it.

In the meantime, Bari won (as expected) 1-0 today, meaning they will be Palermo's opponent next week.

harrylee773 repped this.
  6. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I'm not sure if the game was moved, or I just got it wrong originally, but this game is tomorrow, not Saturday, kick off at 9pm local time, 3 pm EDT. It was eventually picked up by RAI 3 for broadcast in Italy, but unsurprisingly, I haven't seen anything about a US broadcaster.

I expect the official list of call ups will be put out soon, but Trajkovski, Hiljemark and Embalo were all sent for injury evaluations today, if they miss, an already thin attacking core becomes even thinner. Meanwhile Balogh, who has been injured most of the preseason, is ready to go, according to Ballardini in his press conference today.

7. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Only 21 of an allowed 28 called up for this match, Ballardini has said repeatedly that Bari have an advantage because they are ahead of Palermo in terms of preparation. He is also stressing that the Palermo squad is not complete yet, and still needs a few additions.

The fact that only 3 midfielders have been called up, one of them a youth player, demonstrates that to full effect. Trajkovski, Hiljemark and Embalo do in fact all miss out. Also missing. Also absent are Rispoli (suspended), Jajalo (injured), Quaison (returning from the Olympics), Lo Faso (58 minutes with the Italy u19s yesterday), and Struna (unsure, but sounds like probably his move to Carpi is almost complete).

PORTIERI: Fulignati, Marson, Posavec.
    DIFENSORI: Aleesami, Andelkovic, Cionek, Goldaniga, Gonzalez, Giuliano, Lazaar, Morganella, Pezzella, Rajkovic, Vitiello.
    CENTROCAMPISTI: Chochev, Gazzi, Toscano.
    ATTACCANTI: Balogh, Bentivegna, Nestorovski, Sallai.

I expect the lineup to be

Posavec
    Rajkovic-Goldaniga-Vitiello
    Morganella-Chochev-Gazzi-Lazaar
    Balogh-Nestorovski-Sallai

Only question mark for me is if Aleesami starts over Lazaar. Bentivegna also played 45 minutes yesterday (or possibly the day before) with the Italy U-20s, so I doubt he'll see much time unless Palermo are desperate.

I'm still putting decent odds on Ballardini getting fired if they lose this match.

8. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Official lineup:

PALERMO:
    1 Posavec; 6 Goldaniga, 2 Vitiello (cap.), 5 Rajkovic; 89 Morganella, 18 Chochev, 14 Gazzi, 19 Aleesami; 27 Bentivegna, 30 Nestorovski, 22 Balogh.

Subs: 55 Marson, 68 Fulignati, Andelkovic 4, 7 Lazaar, 12 Gonzalez, 15 Cionek, 57 Toscano, 70 Giuliano, 97 Pezzella, 98 Lo Faso.

So it is Aleesami over Lazaar, and Sallai is a last minute scratch with a muscle strain. That means Bentivegna, who played 45 minutes of soccer yesterday gets the start and Lo Faso, an 18 year old who also played 58 minutes of soccer yesterday, is almost certainly going to get minutes today.

The Palermo bench consists of 2 GKs, 1 striker and 7 defenders. Lets hope we don't need a goal in this game.

9. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    62 minutes in, still 0-0. Struna comes on for Morganella....Sounds like a fairly dull outing so far

10. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Lazaar comes on for Bentivegna in the 73 still needing a goal.

This team needs signings fast.

11. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Ex-Rosanero Mattia Cassani is sent off in stoppage time for a second yellow, and the game is headed to extra time, still 0-0.

12. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Lo Faso enters for Balogh in the 101st minute. still 0-0. Still boring

13. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Chochev with scores with the last kick of the game! Palermo advance 1-0.

Sounds like it was a pretty uninspiring game, but in Cup matches, all that matters is the win.

harrylee773 repped this.
  14. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    PORTIERI: Fulignati, Posavec.

DIFENSORI: Aleesami, Andelkovic, Goldaniga, Morganella, Pezzella, Rispoli, Vitiello.

CENTROCAMPISTI: Bouy, Chochev, Gazzi, Hiljemark, Jajalo, Quaison.

ATTACCANTI: Balogh, Diamanti, Lo Faso, Nestorovski, Sallai.

Tomorrow is the game against Spezia. After this weeks confirmation that de Zerbi is staying, I still feel like a loss in this game could reesult in his firing. Gonzalez misses, Henrique out after surgery on his hand. Rajkovic still out from his surgery.