2016/17 Champions. What are your highlights?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, May 13, 2017.

1. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The title is of course top of the list but what else have you really enjoyed this season?

Some of the highlights for me include:
    Antonio
    Luiz coming back and playing at a high level
    The new formation
    Pedro
    First half of the season Costa
    Antonio
    A return to confidence and resilience
    Instant legend Kante
    Knocking the spuds out of the Cup and putting them in their place in the league
    Antonio
    Some hazard magic
    Later season Fab especially his pinpoint passing
    Improved full back play
    Antonio
    That consecutive win streak
    Battering Jose 4-0
    Antonio

Did I mention Antonio?

scirea6, Wrath, Dtrip77 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You left out Antonio.

But this season was great. Kante was amazing, but the fact that Conte made Moses look good shouldn't be overlooked.

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Conte's passion....as an athlete, I would love nothing more than to play for a man who leaves everything on the pitch. He got passion, intensity, class, intelligence, and charisma.

scirea6 and Wrath repped this.
  4. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Getting one over Spurs is ALWAYS a highlight of my season (the ONLY highlight of last season!) :)

5. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antonio did more then i ever thought he could within a single season. He identified our weaknesses and adjusted the team that best fits their strenghts. A true manager/coach.

...and he did all that without belittling anyone along the way.

Congratulations to the team, players and staff! Well deserved!

6. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

LMAO

Blueallthru and Dtrip77 repped this.
  7. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tons of great moments this season and hopefully a few more to come with JT's final games at the Bridge, and hopefully winning the Double to wrap it all up.

The one thing that I am most satisfied with is how Antonio Conte has been able to transform our squad into a team. What I mean by that is that everyone has their part to play and even though some people have played less then others, they still supported the team 100%. That was great to see. Everyone won the title together and it was great to see all the celebrations and how close all the players really are. To me, this is huge.

I also love how Antonio has helped the Chelsea image in a sense that previously with Jose we were always public enemy #1, now with Conte, our image as a club is much better and more positive.

I truely hope Conte is backed in the summer and given the time and opportunity to try to build something that last 5+ years at the club. If I had the choice of any manager in the world to do it, he would be my first choice.

8. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Reading all of these posts I now regret missing out mentioning Antonio in my opening post. Forgive me Don Antonio.

Blueallthru repped this.
  9. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    1)Dave. What an absolute f&cking bargin he has turned out to be. Doesn't matter where you play him, he is the best defender in the league and it aint even close.

2) Antonio. Proves you can be a boss and a gentleman at the same time.

3. Kante. He does what he does with a childish joy expressly evident on his face.

10. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  11. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It is Sunday and we are still CHAMPIONS!

A few points I can think of with half my brain cells dead over the weekend:

• Antonio's conte's charisma and class over the entire season. I love Jose as people probably know here but Conte is such a breath of fresh air. He oozes class and doesn't bring any of Jose's baggage. Even in "bad moments", he takes it on himself, works hard and tries to switch quickly. I really hope we back him all the way and let the man build his squad.
    • United's total demolition at SB. Absolutely loved it.
    • N'Golo f***ing Kante. Guy's is a beast, equivalent to two and isn't fair that we play with 12 players each game.
    • Pedro. Back to his Barca best. I was screaming like a madman after Everton's stunner. The guy is relentless.
    • Costa and Hazard. Had their off games but were crucial in our title run. Came up with the goods when needed. Please Costa stay.
    • Cesc Fabregas - the guy is magic on the ball. To quote Cesc - "Football is f***ng unbelievable" and thank you Cesc for making it that way.
    • Luiz, Cahill and Azpi - Our most consistent performers. Nobody calls them out as it is just expected that they put in WC performances each game, which they did. Cahill scores a lot for a CB and came up with really crucial goals.
    • Tibo - Really good. The fingertip save against Sunderland (I think?) was crucial to keep our title chase on track.
    • Matic - Had his off days but stepped up towards the end.
    • Moses and Alonso - Really skeptical about both towards the start of the season but they proved me wrong with their terrific engines. Thanks guys.
    • Michy, Willian, Ake, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek and others - Everyone played their role and no one looked out of place when called upon.
    Season is not over. One more final to go!

12. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Still buzzing. The fact that it was Michy who sealed it is wiiiiiiild to me haha.

Most impressive thing for me was the team unity put on display this season. Everyone seemed to have each other's back and an unflinching belief in one another. When the Costa BS threatened to derail our good form, everyone acted like it was a nothing story, won that game and celebrated each goal as a team. That spoke worlds to me. Credit to the players but huuuuge credit to Antonio Conte. This has been the polar opposite of Jose's regime. No drama, limited BS, just focused on football, as it should be. I'm already excited for next season as I can't wait to shut up anyone who thinks we aren't going to do just fine in Europe.

Blueallthru repped this.
  13. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Around this time last year we sat in 9th place on 48 points and just lost 3-2 to Sunderland.

This year, we're 22 points ahead of United on 87 points with 2 games and an FA Cup final to go.

Conte has managed the whole squad with such professionalism.

And Liverpool fans are mad at Torres for congratulating us on Twitter. Love it.

Blueallthru repped this.
  14. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    These DVDs are going to sell....[​IMG]

Blueallthru, yasik19 and Brock Hannsen repped this.
  15. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tottenham really do have a number of quality players that might soon find themselves elsewhere. I mean, no trophies ever for this group for the amount of games they put in and all the promise.

16. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's almost sad that they won't be able to keep that group together. I mean we'll see but that's what its looking like...

17. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Their summer will be really interesting as they move away from a familiar ground and need to either keep or attract talent for their new ground. Including their manager, who the players seem to love.

As many pundits have pointed out, this team does not do well on larger fields. Wembley is a large field.

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    This might sounds like a stupid question, but what does "large" mean? Aren't all pitches same size? I realize the stadiums are different (with tracks and other things beyond the actual field), but is that it? Does it affect players b/c they're afraid on a small pitch they'll run into an ad board?

19. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Picked from Quora.

The official dimensions that a football field can have are:
    Length - From 90 meters to 120 meters.
    Width- From 60 meters to 90 meters.
    The commonly followed dimensions of a football pitch in the English Premier league is around 105m*67m.
    This does not mean that it is the only one that can be followed.
    Camp Nou has a dimension of 105*68. So it is not much bigger than that of the Premier league clubs and is within the acceptable limit.

Any club can follow any size but it is generally better to regularize and is why the average sizes of pitches are almost the same.

yasik19 repped this.
  20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Footy is more like baseball than the NFL when it comes to pitches in that there is no one required template. There are upper and lower limits but the pitch itself can vary quite a bit.

There are fewer discrepancies at the international level.

yasik19 repped this.
  21. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The pitch size at London Stadium, where Spurs failed to pressure us, is 105x68m.

White hart Lane was 100x67m

So, I feel that's significant. Faster players can cover more ground on a shorter pitch.

The pitch at the new stadium will be 105x68m

22. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Stamford Bridge by the way, is 103x67.

23. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Very interesting. I did read up a bit after I asked and the difference could be up to 30 meters. That's an insane difference.

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JT with a start and Goal in his last game at the Bridge

25. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007