2015 UCLA

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by eefallen, Feb 6, 2015.

1. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Hypothetical: If Mia Hamm were a high school senior in 2016, would she go to college or pro???

2. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    #127 D1bound, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Tell that to the technical players such as, Tobin Heath, Morgan Brian, Rose Lavelle and Christine Press. The 1st player to go pro was Lindsey Horan and currently she is NOT a mainstay on the WNT.

BTW, a technical players touch and skill are developed at the youth level not in college. IMO, college soccer is more about improving physical strength, conditioning, and tactical awareness.

3. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Who knows? The relevant hypothetical is which path would make her a better soccer player at age 21: spending age 18-21 in the pos or spending them in college?

4. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #129 8MiLLeNiuM, Jan 19, 2016
    There is no way she makes the Rio roster. She is too young and inexperienced yet. Also, too few roster spots. Jill will pick players who have experience playing multiple positions. She's has not proven herself amongst the pros yet. Yes, she's talented and bringing her into camp will help her development and exposure to the National team down the road, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

5. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Of course she would make the roster. Who do you think is behind this madness? She probably doesn't deserve to go, but that doesn't mean she won't, or she shouldn't make the roster. If they think she's the future, they will bring her to give her that experience.
    There's no doubt she's a special player, but is she that much better than some other top players out there? That I'm not sure.
    I would think she will struggle to adjust to the pro level early on, and I sure hope that won't damage her career because of this move

D1bound repped this.
  6. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    #131 D1bound, Jan 19, 2016
    Bingo, I agree she will make the Olympic roster deserving or not. Here's why, she needs the US WNT Olympic bonus estimated at 180K (the Gold medal carrot) to make it worth her while forgoing her UCLA scholarship. Noway could she afford waiting 3 years for the Womens World Cup or 2020 Olympic bonus. She would be better off playing at UCLA and earning her degree.

7. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen her play against tough opponents in the U-20 World Cup in 2014 and she didn't look that great.
    Of course, you could say that has to do with the players around her, but it looked like she lacked experience.
    There are certain aspects of her game, which I feel she needs to develop in order to contribute to the team.
    That's why I doubt she'll make Rio, no matter who's behind the scenes throwing money around.
    That is, not if this USWNT team expects to compete for gold.
    So many players went to college and "paid their dues" so to speak, put in their time.
    My thought is that Jill Ellis will lose the team's respect if she adds Pugh to the roster.
    Unless... Pugh has some magical/special moments in the matches against Germany, France, and England, which I highly doubt.
    I don't think getting goals against Mexico will get her many bonus points.
    I don't say this with disrespect for the player, because I'm a fan and believe she has a bright future on the USWNT.

8. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    #133 D1bound, Jan 19, 2016
    With Wambach retiring, don't be surprised seeing Pugh as her replacement on the WNT Olympic roster.

Pugh won't see much time with a healthy Morgan, Press, Leroux and Dunn (who has paid her dues) as the goto forward options with ARod out due to pregnancy. Unless, they are crushing a team of course.

9. CX22

CX22 Member

Nov 21, 2015
    D1bound you have no idea what type of marketing contracts have been put in front of her. You can't judge her decision without that knowledge. I would suspect Nike has made it more than worth her while to bypass playing college soccer.

10. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    she's not making the olympic team.

she's an outstanding u20 player who, hopefully with smart people advising her family, is making a bet on going pro early. i hope she succeeds. but there are a slew of players better than her who won't make the team.

and neither will she.

i don't care what nike says or how stupid we think ellis and ussoccer are.

11. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    #136 D1bound, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    I do know it's not Michelle Wie Nike money as an 18 yr old, because the LPGA tour trumps NWSL in branding and corporate sponsorships.

Don't forget NOT much money is generated from professional womens soccer, besides the WWC and Olympics. When flipping through sports channels, do you see any of the NWSL games on ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WB, or ESPN? Only 6 NWSL games were televised on Fox Sports 1 in 2015. What does this mean, they do NOT have a billion dollar television rights deals.

12. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    #137 D1bound, Jan 20, 2016
    Never know when politics is entered into the equation, but I do agree there are several worthy players who should be named to the Womens Olympic roster before Pugh.

13. CX22

CX22 Member

Nov 21, 2015
    She is an attractive athletic young athletic female. Nike can use her beyond the NWSL for marketing purposes. She may have other contracts as well. Don't judge what you don't know.

14. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I respect all opinions on this. Is she better than other fringe players fighting for a roster spot...no, Does US Soccer see her as the future face of the sport? Absolutely. She has been tabbed for this since she was 13, Alex Morgan was a nobody 3 years into her college career and finally broke through. Pugh broke through at 14. I for one think this decision goes beyond Pugh and her family. If US Soccer is going to use a contract position (which is rumored to be a done deal) they will take her to Rio. People seem to forget that there were many college age and younger girls at the world cup this past summer. She is young by US Standards but not necessarily on a global scale

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One aspect of the discussion about Ms. Pugh has been an emphasis by some on her missing out on getting four years of college at UCLA paid for and on the possibility that if she does have to go to college, she will have to pay for it herself. A response to that may be, "So what?" I know nothing about her family, but maybe they can afford and are happy to pay for college.

One of the serious problems with youth sports in this country is that a whole lot of parents see sports as their child's meal ticket to college. The kids start getting the message that they better play hard and well or they won't get a college scholarship. So, they're not playing the game of soccer because it's a game, but rather because it's a meal ticket. I can see the legitimacy of this for some, who otherwise might not be able to go to college, but especially for a middle and upper class sport like soccer tends to be in this country, I think it's a serious problem.

Unless Ms. Pugh is in the group of those who otherwise might not be able to go to college, I don't think the foregoing of a college athletic scholarship is a significant consideration.

16. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    #141 D1bound, Jan 20, 2016
    You live in a fantasy land, if you think she has other endorsement contracts lined-up at 17/18.

Pugh having multiple sponsor lined up is as silly as Trump spouting off he will make Apple build their Iphone in the US.

17. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    You live in a fantasy land, if you think she has other endorsement contracts lined-up at 17/18!

Pugh having multiple sponsor lined up is as silly as Trump spouting off he will make Apple build their Iphone in the US.

18. CX22

CX22 Member

Nov 21, 2015
    No I don't live in a fantasy land. She may well have huge endorsements for multiple companies. Maybe you should be a little less wound up over a young girls future when you know so little about what offers may lay before her (financial or otherwise). Your angst over her decision is a little much don't you think?

19. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Youre kinda starting to sound like a disgruntled soccer dad of another UCLA player that was counting on Pugh to turn the program around. It doesn't matter if she has anything lined up. Contracting with US Soccer will immediately give her a 6 figure salary. And US Soccer will get their money's worth parading her around as the next coming of Mia Hamm. As they parade, the endorsements will come

20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this topic has been more fun than watching snow melt in January!

1. For those in S.CA, "snow" is what liquid things do in winter, when it gets cold.
    2. For those in the NE, substitute February :eek:

21. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #146 European football fan, Jan 20, 2016
    I do not understand why everybody is so concern about her money. She actually loves to play soccer. I do not know her personally, but my daughter has been playing with her in the YNTs since U14. This girl overcame a fractured femur a couple of years ago. She worked very hard and she deserves to do whatever she wants. Is she going to be a big star? Who knows. However, at this point she decided to play soccer. Why everybody is so sure that she did only for money. It is not too bad to do what you like at age 17. Probably most of the people who critisize her never had the chance to do just that.
    Good luck Mallory.

Soccerhunter repped this.
  22. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    #147 D1bound, Jan 20, 2016
    WRONG, my DD is NOT committed to UCLA.

I love the assumption US Soccer is giving Pugh a 6 figure annual salary. She will get her 2016 Olympic team 6 figure bonus though, because she will make the team like it or NOT. BTW, Alex Morgan's WNT salary is barely above 6 figures.

See page 39 for Alex Morgan's US Soccer payroll breakdown.

http://www.ussoccer.com/~/media/mig...ederalform990publicdisclosure013014.pdf?la=en

A few posters on here are delusional thinking there is major money to be had playing professional womens soccer. I understand skipping college to cash in on the multi-millions being offered as a 1st round draft pick in NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL or potential purse prize in the millions on the womens LPGA or WTA tour. Come man, this womens soccer.

23. CX22

CX22 Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Not everyone's life revolves around money or the dream to live in a home with a white picket fence. Maybe her parents are loaded. Maybe she doesn't care about money. Your dream life isn't necessarily hers so stop putting her in your ideal box. Let her live her life on her terms.

24. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Or maybe her parents are NOT loaded and she only got a 70% offer at UCLA and they still can't afford the 30% out of state tuition fee. Thus going pro, nah I highly doubt it, since she is on an ECNL team.

Ah does it hurt your feelings that I am posting an opinion about Pugh and her family making a mistake skipping on a UCLA degree to play professionally? Get over it!

25. CX22

CX22 Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Oh so angry. I think you are the one who needs to get over it. I have no opinion on her decision. I know no facts to judge her. Lighten up.