2015 Season- Player Moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Apr 10, 2015.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the start of a brand new season, a new thread to post/discuss/complain about player moves.

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Not really. Kobe Bryant once asked for a trade away from the Lakers. They didn't trade him. He didn't sulk or refuse to play. Instead, he ended up winning two more championships with the team and his one and only league MVP.

The problem here is how quickly the relationship developed and became a marriage. I don't think in Sept or Oct, Leroux had any inkling that she would be married come the start of the 2015 NWSL season.

I agree. But I think she thought even if it came up snake eyes, that would just mean she stays in Seattle.

I agree, I think if she was wise she would have waited. But that doesn't mean that what Harvey did was the appropriate response, either.

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Fair enough we may never see eye to eye on Harvey's side of things.

holden repped this.
  4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Let me offer this, tho it made more sense in the closed thread. Ur spouse asks u if it's all right if he/she sleeps with ur best friend...BUT...if it's not OK ur spouse is still happy with u. Some people might take affront that the question came up. :)

5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Spouses (at least theoretically) have a different power dynamic than manager/player.

6. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this may have been discussed previously but I don't remember the answer.

Sky Blue announced an opening roster of 21 and now also signed DeCesare for a total of 22. It is more than the 20 max. because four of their Int'ls are away, and eventually the Americans, until after the WC?
    Plus Lytle is listed as out on the injury report from a right leg surgery (last year's injury was her left leg).

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Dont know about Lytle but I imagine they got the same exemption for Ocampo that the Spirit got for Perez and Romero.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    587561518004310017 is not a valid tweet id

So it seems Herforder just noticed McDonald was missing...maybe they saw her on Youtube :)

9. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dash just announced last Friday that she was added to their roster, so maybe Herforder could not say anything publicly until she officially joined another team.

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two games into the season and I'm thinking about the Thorns trade of Brooks to WNY for Zerboni and Williamson and I'm saying, "What, what, what was WNY thinking?" I know WNY has gone on to trade Brooks in an NWSL blockbuster trade, but Brooks for both Zerboni and Williamson? So far, "Wow" for Portland and "Say what?" for WNY.

11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Brooks is 24. Zerboni is 28. I think WNY figured there was a lot of potential upside in Brooks, whereas Zerboni has reached the peak of her potential. I think the change of scenery was good for Zerboni, and she probably wouldn't have played as well staying in WNY. And Williamson didn't have a good season at all, so I think she was thrown in just to offload the salary and because Portland wanted her, I wouldn't have been surprised if she had been waived otherwise. I also don't think WNY was expecting to trade Brooks away and I think her loss made their MF much weaker than it would've been, and it shows. Having Leroux at the top and Dahlkemper as DM does not replace her. Lines talked about Leroux being a franchise player, but I think he was really planning on Brooks anchoring that MF for years to come.

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CoachJon repped this.
  13. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Strange signing. They need a DM more than another forward.

14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say a midfielder in general rather than specifically a DM, but other than that, I don't disagree.

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well, I was thinking specifically of someone to replace Brooks.

16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...neither Zerboni nor Williamson wanted to be in WNY for 2015- both were 'lame duck' players- what did WNY really give up?

17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Becky Edwards and Toni Pressley must have been getting tired of all the Bruins running around and asked for another Seminole. Too bad we couldn't get Dagny.

holden repped this.
  18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked this part of the press release: Friday, May 8 when the reigning NWSL Champion FC Kansas City comes to Rochester. The game, which kicks of at 7:00 p.m. ET, will be “3, 2, 1 Night” with $3 general admission tickets, $2 pregame drafts and $1 Sahlen’s hot dogs. ticket prices for the flash are generally too high for the rochester market

19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Seattle rookie out for the season.

I hope whoever they pick first overall next year has top notch health insurance.

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they gave up a starting center back and a starting holding midfielder on a team that is undefeated so far. I understand they wanted out of WNY, which may be a very bad sign about the WNY franchise -- especially when you add other players WNY traded for reasons we don't fully know except that at least one of them opted out too for the current season.

I have expected WNY to be a successful franchise, but now I'm wondering.

22. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well here's the question, why would players want to live and play in Buffalo/Rochester? It doesn't exactly have that je ne sais quois of a Portland or Seattle. Or the historicalness and vibrancy of a Boston or Washington or Chicago. Or even the nice grass pitch of a Piscataway or KC. So what does it have going for it? The ability to receive CBC over the air... (though you can get that on cable in Seattle, or at least could when I lived there)

cpthomas repped this.
  23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont think it's the area or a least not the main reason. Most of the players ur talking about had been there for a while. Zerboni for example was there from 2011-14. Did she suddenly notice there wasnt much to do in WNY? I personally think it was a lot of factors centered on how the team was run. I also wonder if Wambach had announced her semi retirement at the end of last season if a lot of this wouldnt have happened.

24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Abby's behavior last season was a factor in some players deciding to want to ply their trade elsewhere. I'm not saying it was the only reason, but her choosing to rehab in Portland instead of in Buffalo could have rubbed some people the wrong way.

25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States