2015 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by jmm09, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it true in Leagues around the world that the teams with long histories of excellence get the best attendance?

2. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    That's always been my impression. I think the problem is that when you bring it down to return on investment, not every club's ambition is sustainable. The question is: What would convince BK that building an iconic stadium in Boston, developing a top level club infrastructure, and bringing in a new JJ-level player every year brings us to the point that Revolution oozes class and profits? To the point where Revolution is one of the 3 MLS clubs that people in Tel Aviv, Sydney and Bremen have heard of, and kids in Manchester wear Rev shirts?

BrianLBI repped this.
  3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats exactly what he's done with the Patriots. In the early days of MLS the economic said---not now. I think thats changed and as soccer grows in popularity in the US there will be big bucks to be harvested for a very well run top level franchise. I know that NFL and MLS are different but I truly believe the realities I'm talking about are not lost on Bob Kraft. He knows theres big money to be made and how to do it. Why this is paying out as it is is unclear butI firmly believe that it's not because Bob Kraft doesn't understand the big picture. My guess is he's holding back because of Macro Economic reason. ie, he may be keeping his powder dry because he's worried about the a major US economic collapse. I know all this is pure speculation but it's hard for me to believe that Bob Kraft that built the Patriot franchise into what it's become is a dumb ass is how to build a top level MS franchise

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    They almost never say anything about it.
    Significant players probably wouldn't be travelling here to trial - for the most part.
    Again, I don't know this to be the case, but I think it could be. And it wouldn't be so hard to believe that since he's the one who would have to work with the player, he'd want to get to know them a little bit and see them play before giving a thumbs up (but, I think the reality is he has almost no time to do that).
    I think you're probably right about that.
    It could be that Shalrie hasn't decided that he's retired yet.
    Sure, except that secretaries don't do any of the things I mentioned.
    Don't take it as fact - I said above I was just speculating.

That was just my theory. What is your theory on why they haven't been able to close the deal on anyone to fill their needs? They've been able to bring international guys in pretty much every year.

5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with you Doc, but I think we are talking about the wrong Kraft in context of the revs. Bob's first love is, and always will be, the NFL. He's passionate. He cares. He loves American football. Jonathan is a soccer fan and oversees the revs. Junior isn't as good as dad when it comes to managing a franchise to great heights, even if the finance background is there. Something is missing.

ToMhIlL repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joseph hasn't retired yet? Who is he playing for?

You'd think he'd be a natural for the Cosmos, given his NY connections and that he's a "name" that is currently a shadow of the player he once was....

To summarize the last several posts, it seems that we all agree that Burns has utterly failed at the most important things he was tasked to do, namely bring in adequate players who could fill the needs you mentioned above. Yes, he may have had a couple of successes, like finding Woodberry, Kobayashi, bringing back Agudelo (even if it didn't take a lot of initiative, like picking up a $10 bill on the sidewalk). We can rearrange the deck chairs all we want, but the boat is still sinking.

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the bolded part is more of a problem than an asset. With Daddy-O and the Patriots, Bob is a fan, but will want to do whatever possible to make them win, as long as it is reasonable financially. Some Pats fans will argue that they are too bottom-line focused, but they do spend money, but maybe not crazy money. With Sonny and the Revs, it's the other way around. Everything has to work, numbers-wise, and if it means the team wins, that's a nice secondary bonus! And the burden of proof is always on the side of the numbers. Even though there is a reasonable chance that the numbers could work, it's not going to happen unless you can prove that they will.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points on the finacial side but there's also a people side x factor. Dad is a shmoozer and knows how to make allies with powerful people (except a SSS but I digress..). He gives Putin a SB ring to secure a lucrative deal. He's friends with Steve Wynn and countless other powerful people. He will go to toe to toe with anyone in support of his (patriots) organization. He wants to win and hates public embarrasment - losing = failure.

Junior is more of a quant. He hired Bilello, also a quant. And Burns who has the personality of a decimal point - so honorary quant. A by the book kind of guy, leading a by the book organization. Jonathan Kraft is many things but innovative isn't one IMO.

BrianLBI repped this.
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. It never ceases to amaze me just how little understanding of "soft power" there is at Rev Central. Always has been, since day one.

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soft power (good term for it) or being political in the right ways, is apparent with other GMs. Even Peter Wilt has more soft power panache than JK et al. Thet need to hire someone who does that naturally, not making public appearances seem forced like Burns.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 days until the MLS transfer window closes on Aug 6. We know at least one player is coming in but is this a signing for next year or this year? Will the Revs actually sign and impact player?
    [​IMG]

a517dogg repped this.
  12. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Revs case, this would be Eric Carle's "Very Quiet Cricket".... does not make a sound.

13. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he need to be? He's not ever going to be fired and someday, it will all be his. This isnt a silver spoon, its a gold one

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States