2015 Open Cup Thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by oneeyedfool, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have drawn the winner of the Jersey Express and NYRB II. I am rooting for the Jersey Express because I don't think true II/B teams should be allowed in the US Open Cup. I believe it would be better to see more PDL/NPSL from distinct areas in there... clubs like the New Orleans Jesters, Rhode Island Reds, FC Buffalo, San Francisco Stompers, Cincinnati Saints, Lehigh Valley United and Baltimore Bohemians bring more to the table and it offers those clubs the opportunity to grow and perhaps attract investors. But enough on that, let's focus on the Cosmos.

I think if we match up against Jersey as I hope, we can let our depth players have a great run out. I could see a lineup like this:

Holt

Mulligan - Gorskie - Caceras - Diosa

Moffat - Szetela

Guenzatti ———————— Chirishian

Flores

Mads

Bench: Broome, Wright, Raul, Senna, Restrepo, Mendes, Ayoze

If the game goes well, then Wright gets a nice run out for a half hour. If it doesn't then Raul, Senna and one of the others comes in to try to rescue us.

If we are playing NYRB II, we probably need to mix in a few more starters:

Maurer

Gorskie - Mendes - Caceras - Ayoze

Moffat - Szetela

Restrepo ———————— Guenzatti

Flores

Lucky

Bench: Holt, Wright, Raul, Senna, Fernandes, Freeman, Roversio

Same idea there, if we are winning at 60 minutes by 2 or more goals, then Wright gets a 30 minute run out. If we need rescuing, Raul and Senna come in.

Should be fun either way. We can't take this match for granted. I am hoping that we not only win it, but then are drawn against NYC FC in Yankee Stadium. I would love to go into their house and beat them.

Sam U El repped this.
  2. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC if we advance. We can not take Jersey Express for granted. The chance to trounce NYCFC is priceless. That will be the most important match of the year.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  3. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I like the first lineup you got for tomorrow's game, all those guys could use a run. Some might think it's a bit cocky to got out there with all subs (except for Szetela).The Cosmos went and signed a bunch of players this off season to gain depth. These guys are tested and experienced, we even have the luxury of having the Capitan of a national team starting tomorrow(possibly), guys like Guenzatti, Caceres, Moffat, Flores and Mads could start for any NASL team. On the other side of the coin I would love to see Hadji get a run tomorrow and show what he's got. If the game is anything like last year's against the BK Italians the atmosphere will be awesome.

4. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, after tomorrow assuming we win, our ideal path thorough the Open Cup would take through first through NYCFC, then NYRB to prove we are the best team on the field in the NY metro area. Following that revenge on Philly for last year. Finally I would like us to beat the Galaxy in the final... Cosmos over Galaxy.

5. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmos vs Galaxy such a clash could destroy the fabric of space time!;)

Would be nice to see a Sounders v Cosmos though

First things first right...hope we beat Jersey Express.

6. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. Looks like you got your wish Nano, Haji Wright comes in at 79' and draws a PK at 81'

nanoGVSP repped this.
  7. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was nice to see Haji out there and he looked good. The boys did what needed doing tonight and now we get our match against NYCFC. Let's prove we are the best team in New York.

8. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible night for NASL teams. Carolina, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Fort Lauderdale all fall to USL teams. Embarrassing for the league. Minnesota drawing and San Antonio behind as I write this. Awful.

FidelCashflow repped this.
  9. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes sir! Nice to see him come on, he was aggressive from the get go. Unrelenting, after the penalty he almost scored on a long run. He got one ball in the middle of the field more or less, took on two guys and the third defender took the ball in a last ditch effort, if not for that Haji would have scored.
    The game was pretty much dominated by the Cosmos. I was surprised to see Senna out there even thought Maurer would get a rest. The crowd was small but loud. I think last year there was a bigger crowd, probably because we played a local team in BK Italians. Fun game though and it was nice to see Guenzati and Mads score.
    I wonder how NYCFC will approach the game against the Cosmos, Will they act like the RB last year and say it doesn't matter or will they be up front about wanting to win the game? Eigther way we know what the Cosmos are going to do! it should be fun. I wouldn't miss that game for anything.

10. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think our A team can take NYCFC's A team

11. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minnesota out, Atlanta survives (I was rooting for Chatanooga), and Indy about to lose as they give up 2 goals in extra time. :eek:

12. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I love this competition, you never can tell......

13. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously the one night a year I bring myself to root for these teams out of league unity...

14. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please go far in the U.S. Open Cup and get some respect back to the NASL after the disaster that was the rest of the league in the U.S. Open Cup.

oneeyedfool repped this.
  15. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    To do that we will have to beat NYCFC first. Big game on the 17th.

16. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Big game today boys!!! I'll be going with a big group of people, and have talked to few others about going to the game. There's more intrest than usual from people that aren't die hards. Even so I'm not too sure what type of crowd we'll get, it's a week day and we don't usually do well in those. Then again We'll probably have a good amount of visiting fans.
    Eigther way it'll be a good game, if anything I've learned to trust that Gio will get the guys ready to go for the win, not half assing it like other coaches. One concern I have is Roversio and Senna yet again not 100% before a Open Cup game. If thosed two are out we got an uphill battle, I didn't like the defense one bit against Jacksonville. Hope Geo finds a better way to plug the holes. Let's Go COSMOS!!!!!

brentgoulet and Sam U El repped this.
  17. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cardiac Cosmos with a goal to tie!!!!!!!! Into extra time!!!

18. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been a really fun game to watch.

19. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All Glory to the Cardiac Cosmos!! What a game!!!!! Holy S**T

20. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that was a Derby!

brentgoulet repped this.
  21. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the most entertaining matches I've seen really

brentgoulet, nanoGVSP and Sam U El repped this.
  22. eal22

eal22 Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Fantastic win for the Cosmos!

23. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got home. One of the best sporting events I've ever been to, electric atmosphere in a packed stadium. Big time drama in a derby where pride was on the line. There's an edge to Cosmos vs NYCFC that's about them trying to co-opt our legacy and our rightful place in New York metro area soccer. If you are a Cosmos fan who wanted the team in MLS, there's a sense these guys stole our place. There's a need to prove we are better and that we are the real NY team and not some plastic brand extension like NYC FC and Red Bull.

This was the type of match where you bite your nails and nervously watching the clock, waiting for that miracle to come before time runs out. The type of match where you start hugging your seat neighbors when Lucky scores that goal or Maurer comes up with that PK save.

Unbelievable gutsy performance. Kudos to NYC FC and their fans for a great game and atmosphere. Bring on Red Bulls.

24. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best summary ever!

brentgoulet repped this.
  25. Sam U El