2015 Crew SC Roster Thread: In-season

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by 110toyourleft, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets not forget that Gio only got the golden boot because the League overruled a goal by TFC's Osorio and post-match, awarded it to Gio.

By my count, that gives the boot to Kei outright.

2. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which in no way changes the fact that Giovinco deservedly won the MVP award.

cam5fc and Draghignazzo repped this.
  3. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. Just the Boot should have gone to Kei.

4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the past, the boot was given to the points leader (2 pts for a goal, 1 for an assist). While MLS has gotten rid of that as the criterion, the assists as the TB is a remnant of it.

BTW, if the goal was legit to Gio, then he does deserve it. However, I wonder how many hockey assists Kamara has in respect to Gio this year.

5. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also agree with this. When I look at the replay, it was close... does the ball trajectory change? Maybe, maybe not. I think its tough to definitely say it was Gio's or Osorio's, so I didn't see a reason to change it.

6. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do PKs count? :D

8. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tobias C repped this.
  10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the hell would we need that bum when he have the league's top goalscorer? Kamara made $536,000 this year. Falcao's salary with Monaco and Man United was for $430,000..... a week (about $22 million a year). He took a pay cut to play for Chelsea this year, a measly $215,000 a week ($11 million).

Kamara has 22 goals in 2015, Falcao has... 3.

Yeah, I think I know who I'll take. This isn't even an idea worth fantasizing about.

11. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I get it...was just mentioning news related to someone on our team that I found a bit fascinating.

the_rickler repped this.
  12. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? If you think Falcao thinks he's gonna get paid anywhere close to that rate here you're nuts. All players realize the pay scale here.
    Keep in mind after the year Kei has had there's a chance he won't be here next year so we will need a replacement.

13. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbo Crewfan, DAFCrew, A Guy and 2 others repped this.
  14. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I don't think Kei is going back overseas. He's explored that already, he's 31, and he's already taken his name out of international consideration.

I think he's settling in the U.S. for good.

TrueCrew repped this.
  15. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Also probably worth mentioning that he had a new baby girl this season with his American spouse. I believe he signed with the Crew after she was expecting.

16. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No where in the article does it say specifically that Higuaín was selling him on The Crew. Maybe he was, but we don't know. He was likely selling him on the league in general and living in America during a period where the game and profession they love is enjoying an enormous upswing. If they could line up together I'm sure they'd love to, but I expect Pipa was more saying, "there's opportunity to find a place and perhaps reinvent your career" here.

17. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I'm curious - assuming the Crew win tomorrow, where does this put Higuain in the all-times for the Crew?

He has played the same number of games as Schelotto (102) has 3 more goals than Schelotto (35 to 32) but fewer assists (32 to 41).

He doesn't have the League MVP that Schelotto does, but he's got League Newcomer of the Year and has been a critical part of the Crew's success thus far.

I don't think he'll be equal to Schelotto (you only have one first and Schelotto has it) but I think he deserves Iconic status.

18. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    He wouldn't be in my top five for club "icons" but he would be top 10.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  19. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right in saying GBS is clearly #1, but who has had a bigger impact this year: Higuain or Kamara? The real question is, if GBS was on last years or this years team playing like 2008, how much better would we be? GBS was so multidimensional that I think we would have been much better.

I think Higuain will be top 10, but I have a feeling that down the road, even if we win, this will be more about the team than Higuain. I think Higuain has a slightly better overall supporting cast than GBS did which kind of lowers his ranking if you will.

Draghignazzo and CybrSlydr repped this.
  20. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could argue this is actually pipas worst season with us. I think he was clearly better his first full season with us. Like aaron d said, this is more about the team imo.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  21. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    From a full career perspective, especially if we win tonight, he will have a rightful place as one of our all time icons.

He had a very tough act to follow in GBS, he won't set any team records, and he's never going to light the stat sheet on fire.

He's also stuck with this team through a pretty tumultuous era, worn the armband, lost the armband, contributed some beautiful highlights, and made a pretty big impact on the field.

I think an under appreciated aspect of his contributions are what he has done to help the other younger Spanish speaking players in settling in with the team. Back when he was more active on Twitter (and when Arietta was around) it was very common to see all of the players getting together, grilling out, spending time with each other's families, etc.

As a player, I've never been extremely high on him, but it's almost impossible not to like the guy for what he's given to the club and city.

22. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    673871425548218368 is not a valid tweet id

MLS lists of free agents and re-entry draft candidates coming around 5 pm ET today. Expect clubs to announce trades throughout day