2015 Crew SC Roster Thread: In-season

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by 110toyourleft, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmhgn

jmhgn New Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Medina, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be wrong but if the final is New York - Portland, doesn't Portland get the spot? Even if NY wins?

2. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No, the according to MLS:

3. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the MLS Cup loser no longer gets a spot. Just the winner.
    The 4 spots are:
    -MLS Cup winner
    -Supporters Shield winner
    -US Open Cup winner
    -winner of other conference (either east or west) besides Supporters Shield winner

(It really would be simpler if they just called the 2 spots "eastern conference regular season winner" and "western conference regular season winner".)

4. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigi signed a non-compete clause that would only last a year, Seattle was also fined by MLS for 100 grand and I think that was used to give Chad a signing bonus to stay instead of going to Germany.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Sigi, I thought he didn't have anything to do with the protected/unprotected list. Or was that just what people said?

6. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What offseason moves should the crew make ?

My thoughts :

sign Afful and McInery to contracts of at least 3 years.

Cut or sell : Barson & Speas for sure and maybe even Steindorsson

Do something similar with Pogatez he makes too much money to be your 4th CB. I like him he is better than Wahl.

Aquire players :
    Starting CB to pair with Sauro
    A young RB with potential
    Also need a quality CAM unless Swanson is ready to contribute. If we are in CCL like I think we will be after we win the cup ,Higauin needs someone who can play when we have more than one gm a week.

We need another CDM unless George is ready to Step up. When Trapp was out we sucked and Saeid is not a true CDM or anywhere near Trapps talent level.

Also give Kamara and Finlay raises while Parkhurst needs his reduced like his role.

7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'll see the departure of Barson, Speas, Pogatetz and Steindorsson, maybe Jimmy. I'm not sure how much depth 3G will want to keep. I would also sign MacInerney to a longer deal - but I hope it's as part of a 2-striker system or something. Hate seeing him on the bench and I know he won't want to stymie there either. Get Afful for a few more years as well.

I would also be looking for a CB. Saied could work as a CAM - he's often said he's more comfortable attacking as a CM than defending. He did a good job in the DC game before his injury - but that's very limited time in the role.

3G seems to think George can do it. Maybe he can - he just hasn't had the reps to prove it.

I would also like to see if he could find some domestic talent via trade. We're pretty heavy on Internationals at the moment.

8. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pogo is gone, and unless jack mac takes a paycut, 350k is way too much for a backup that hardly ever plays.

Parkhurst and sauro are good together, and wahl is a good THIRD CHOICE CB. Campbell is there and we have afful, francis, klute, and jimenez to fill two spots out wide. Seems sorted to me.

As far as a pipa backup goes, either find a backup, or preferably let saeid be the back, and sign another cm that can be more physical and defensive.

We don't need starters imo, just depth in a few key places. And dear god please take the draft seriously this year. We got both finlay and meram in the draft, talent is out there.

Draghignazzo and Tobias C repped this.
  9. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw on Twitter that the Crew was having tryouts today and tomorrow, I also saw the Leed Utd backup goalie left to go back to Cleveland and I think he is a u-23 player.

10. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant see that much movement happening this offseason.

Pogatetz is a gone and i think weve known that since we signed Sauro. He would be awesome depth but hes still a solid starting quality CB and he knows it. Wahl is perfectly acceptable to backup Sauro and Parkhurst or even to slot in at LB in a pinch, at an affordable salary. I wonder if we would trade Pogatetz to another MLS team?

Steindorsson hasnt contributed much this season and unless theres something Berhalter still likes about him, i could see him let go. Too much salary to be behind Finlay/Meram and Cedrick. I think itll be down to either Steindorsson vs. Speas staying or going but Speas is much more affordable, doesnt take an international spot, and is a local guy.

I dont see a reason to offload Barson or Jimenez, at least until their wage increases to where its unjustifiable. Theyre both versatile and serviceable versatile players on the cheap is a valuable asset.

I think itll just boil down to whats available in the draft, and thats if Berhalter even makes serious use of it.

As far as upgrading any starting positions, i dont see the necessity unless someone decides to leave us or we have the opportunity to sell for a big transfer fee or something. I could see maybe dealing Tchani or Meram to someone as i think theyre starting quality players that other MLS teams might value, then bringing in a bigger name player but really i dont know if theres even any point. Were already a well balanced, MLS Cup contender and even a world class DP signing wouldnt boost attendance much (granted it might get us on TV more) and they might be a complete flop.

I cant see Berhalter tampering with the roster too much though.

TrueCrew repped this.
  11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This really is a very attractive roster right now. We knew, in '08 that a lot of core guys were getting close to the ends of their careers: Guille, Padula, Hejduk. Moreno was wonderful, but hardly a golden boot territory kind of striker. Carrol had been around a long time, too. I'm sure there were others. I recall that twinge of sadness when the final whistle blew in the final in '08 that both Evans and Sigi were likely gone. Expansion draft, and all that. Use don't see this team changing too much in the coming season. And that's a good thing.

Point being, for being one game from the MLS Cup Final, were a team with a lot of young and in their prime talent. And Berhalter seems to have a damned good eye for identifying talent. Far, far better than Sigi in his hit rate, though my guess is that the league has loosened its purse strings somewhat regarding what teams can spend to bring in players, as opposed to 2008.

It's that last point that makes me feel more confident in the club's ability to continue to be able to compete. Gregg has revamped the entire roster - nearly - in two seasons, but without generating the vast list of cast offs that Sigi did. Take Parkhurst, for example. How many more years can he hold down a starting CB role in MLS? I don't know, but I am reasonably sure that Berhalter will be able to find a replacement for him when the time comes.

Beyond the above, we've had two seasons with Gregg charge with precious few injuries to report. Which makes me wonder what sort of regimen he has these players on.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1587 Bill Archer, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    Charlie Horton is the real deal. He turned down a scholarship from UNC to sign with Peterborough out of high school (very expensive private school in Cleveland area). Also spent a semester at IMG and with the U 20s.

Leeds United swung a deal for him a yeAR ago. He was their #2 (at 20 years old) but only saw reserves action.

Reportedly they loved him but something happened with his family. He says he won't talk about it - the rumor is that his mom is very sick but he's asked for privacy and so privacy he shall get from us - and Leeds agreed to let him go.

He says that he wants to sign with MLS. If so, and if he came back to be near his family, then CBUS would seem to be the only choice. Work when he can, be home when he needs to be. It's the right thing to do.

Unfortunately the league will find a rule which says he belongs to Toronto. Like always.

I dont know enough about the rules for the draft to know if they can just toss him into that pot. Fortunately for him his family is crazy rich and if he wants he can tell them to go ******** themselves.

13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1588 Bill Archer, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article/1j5k3shixgs7a1oyrv9xed5akj

Goalkeeper Charlie Horton has cut short his Leeds United contract to return home to America due to a private family matter.

Charlie, a summer signing from Cardiff City, had featured twice for our Under-21s this season and was the substitute ‘keeper for our last seven Championship games.

The 21-year-old, who is capped for the USA at U23s level, has the full backing of the club in his decision and leaves with the best wishes of everybody connected to Leeds United.

The club is disappointed to lose such a promising young goalkeeper, but both owner Massimo Cellino and head coach Steve Evans were ultimately understanding and supportive of Charlie’s decision considering the circumstances.

Charlie said: “I’ve had to leave because of a private family[​IMG] matter back home.

“For me there is only one thing which comes before this football club – my family. That is the sole reason I’m going home.

“I ask people to respect my privacy while I handle it, as it is not a short-term matter.

“I’m extremely grateful for the compassion and understanding I have received from Massimo Cellino and Steve Evans. They have been absolutely top drawer about it.

“I’m very grateful that they understood and I wish them nothing but the very best going forward.

“I would like to thank all the fans for the amazing support and welcome they have shown me here.

“I’m disappointed that it’s over so soon, but Leeds will always hold a special place in my heart. I’ll always follow each game from across the pond. I wish them all the best.”

Minnman repped this.
  14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going for the KHT here but wanted to add that Horton has a really terrific statement up on Twitter which, unfortunately I have no idea how to copy and paste.

He comments that he needs to return home to fulfill his "responsibilities as the only man in my family". (His parents are divorced; he has a younger sister)

Worth the read. Classy kid.

https://twitter.com/Charlie_Horton1

TRUJDUB repped this.
  15. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FYI, if you click on the date in the top right of a tweet, it will take you to the individual tweet's permanent link. You can paste that link into BigSoccer and it will embed the tweet. Unfortunately, tweet embeds don't work in Tapatalk, so I usually post the link to the twitter feed (like you did) in addition to the embed. Here's the tweet:

668758003793977344 is not a valid tweet id

Bill Archer repped this.
  16. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is pure class, absolutely the right thing to do. My prayers are with him.

18. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eboe, Robbo Crewfan, FootyRef and 3 others repped this.
  19. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I post it while you were hiding from the cold in your car? :D

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with virtually all of this. Pogatetz is surely gone, so some CB depth might be needed. Campbell didn't get much run. After Pogatetz, Steindorsson seems the most likely to leave because of his salary and the fact that he looks like the #3 LM. 3G may like him better inside, but Saeid looks more than capable there, and he's still #3 (if not #4 behind Speas).

The Horvath situation is interesting. Lampson, who has slipped to #3, could be on the way out, though I think he is a very serviceable MLS player. It would also be an potential upgrade to our weakest starting spot: Clark. Tchani/Meram would be next, but both are very productive. Tchani is on the verge of international calls, and could have another bump.

At the bottom of the roster, I don't see off-loading guys like Barson, Jimenez, Schoenfeld, or Wahl, or Klute. Valuable, competent MLS role players for relatively cheap. Unless they are unhappy, we should lock them up. I'd put Speas in this category as well, though I could see him leaving.

On the bottom of the roster, I could see Gall moving on. Expected more from him this year, but he's still very young.

Bringing back Afful, Saeid, and McInerney should be a priority.

Tobias C and cam5fc repped this.
  21. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now is a time to bring in a Fabian Castillo type player. Took him 4 years before he was a major threat. Bring in a high potential player that just needs time and proper coaching.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  22. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think George is underrated around these parts.

And while all of us want to lock up Afful for a long term contract, don't expect him to be here too long. The only thing possibly keeping him from playing in some of the bigger European leagues has got to be his stature. I expect maybe one more year out of him before he's sold. Do we even know what his current contract is? I know he said it was just for this year, but surely there are option years for MLS.

23. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Swanson was seen as playing the same position as Trapp. I know he's seen as being a little more offensive minded, but I still though he was more of that defensive/holding Center Mid role as opposed to a CAM role. I suppose that might foot the bill for Tchani's spot instead of Trapp's in this system.

NUFC Fan repped this.
  24. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rest of the league won't stand pat, the Crew (SC) can't afford to either. I'm not saying we have any dire need right now, but we should also be jettisoning enough salary to look at upgrading any position.

As much as we like our wingers, Meram and Finlay are a bit one dimensional. I think they're the most likely to get upgraded, followed by Clark and Tchani. In no way are we going to replace all four, but I won't be shocked if one of them gets replaced.

But, yes, the biggest concern will be getting guys in place to replace people as they leave. Trapp and Afful probably will get offers from Europe within a year or two. Even Francis might start to get some offers. We will need people to step in as they leave. We'll also want a younger CB who can be a #3 CB, if Campbell isn't going to be that guy.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  25. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When would a young winger get time? Over Finlay? Meram? Cedrick? Hard to see that happening. I'm not saying we won't bring in a talented winger: but it won't be someone we're giving a few years worth of minutes to before really expecting anything.

Only positions I could really see us trying to improve are center mid and wing. Finlay/Meram/Cedrick are GREAT, but none of them is elite. If we could bring in an elite winger, we'd likely have to let one of those 3 go. Tchani has improved drastically, but I'm not sure his stock will ever be higher. We could find a more technical central midfielder with which to replace him, but it certainly isn't a priority.

I suppose we could improve the Pipa spot, but that's a risky move bringing in a guy worth $1m+ to replace a guy who has been, at the very worst, pretty good over his time here (sure he has had a few stinkers, but that is to be expected from someone who our whole offense runs through).

Tobias C repped this.