2015 AFC Cup

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by jonny63, Dec 10, 2014.

1. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Kuala Lumpur: Thursday sees the draw for the 2015 AFC Cup Preliminary Round, Play-Off Stage and Group Stage, and here are the teams who will be attempting to repeat Al Qadsia's 2014 title success:
    WEST ZONE
    BAHRAIN
    * Riffa - League champions
    + East Riffa - King’s Cup winners
    BANGLADESH
    + Sheikh Russel Krira Chakra Limited - AFC President’s Cup 2014 Group Stage winners
    IRAQ
    Al Shorta - League champions
    Arbil - League runners-up
    JORDAN
    Al Wehdat - League champions and FA Cup winners
    Al Jazeera - League third place
    KUWAIT
    * Qadsia SC - League champions
    Kuwait SC - Emir Cup winners
    KYRGYZSTAN
    + FC Dordoi - League champions
    LEBANON
    Nejmeh - League champions
    + Salam Zgharta - FA Cup winners
    NEPAL
    + Manang Marshyangdi Club - AFC President’s Cup 2014 Group Stage winners
    OMAN
    * Al Nahda - League champions
    + Fanja - Sultan Qaboos Cup winners
    PALESTINE
    Wad Alness - League champions
    + Hilal Alquds - Palestine Cup winners
    SYRIA
    Al Wahda - League champions
    + Al Jaish - FA Cup winners
    TAJIKISTAN
    FC Istiklol - League champions
    + FC Khayr - League runners-up
    TURKMENISTAN
    + TBC - League champions
    + Ahal FC - Turkmenistan Cup winners
    YEMEN
    + Al Saqr - League champions
    EAST ZONE
    HONG KONG
    * Kitchee - League champions
    South China - League play-off winners
    INDIA
    * Bengaluru FC - League champions
    Kingfisher East Bengal - League runners-up
    INDONESIA
    * Persib Bandung - League champions
    Persipura Jayapura - League runners-up
    LAOS
    Lao FC - League runners-up
    MALAYSIA
    *Johor Darul Ta’zim - League champions
    Pahang FA - Malaysian FA Cup winners
    MALDIVES
    New Radiant SC - League champions
    + Maziya Sports & Recreation Club - Maldives FA Cup winners
    MYANMAR
    * Yadanarbon - League champions
    Ayeyawady United - MFF Cup winners
    PHILIPPINES
    Global FC - League champions
    + Ceres La Salle FC - Cup winners
    SINGAPORE
    * Warriors FC - League champions
    Balestier Khalsa FC - Singapore Cup winners
    + Denotes teams involved in AFC Cup Play-offs
    * Denotes teams involved in AFC Champions League Play-offs. If any of these teams qualify for the ACL Group Stage, their AFC Cup place will be taken by an alternate club from their country
    ALTERNATE CLUBS
    WEST ZONE
    BAHRAIN: Manama
    JORDAN: That Ras Club
    KUWAIT: Al Arabi
    OMAN: Suwaiq
    EAST ZONE
    HONG KONG: Sun Pegasus
    INDIA: TBC
    INDONESIA: Arema Indonesia
    MALAYSIA: Selangor
    MYANMAR: Yangon United
    SINGAPORE: Tampines Rovers FC

http://www.the-afc.com/afc-cup-2014/afc-cup-2015-the-contenders

2. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
  3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    East Riffa (BHR) replaced by Al Hidd....AFC didn't include them in the draw when BFA entered them...funny how the AFC run by a Bahraini didn't get the Bahraini entrant correct!!

http://bfa.bh/detail/1891

4. mdhm

mdhm Member

Southern District FC
    Hong Kong
    Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    So many teams from East Zone got the direct slots... I think it is reasonable and interesting to move the Bangladesh and Nepal champions to Play-off(East) when India and Maldives are in the East Zone.

5. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Either the head honchos at AFC are terrible at geography, or they're up to their old tricks again. Maldivian and Indian sides have sporadically made it to the knockout stages when placed in the East and done absolutely terribly when up against sides from the West. AFC probably believes that the Bangladeshi and Nepali sides won't offer much and simply placed them in the West so that they can get "weeded out" as soon as possible. It's this mentality that is responsible for creating the gap between elite and developing nations within the federation.

6. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Manang Marshyangdi (NEP) have withdrawn citing financial problems.

Hilal Al-Quds (PLE) now receive a bye to the final qualifying round where they will face Al-Jaish (SYR) in Bahrain (as Syria are banned from hosting matches) on February 17 for the final spot in Group D.

druryfire and jonny63 repped this.
  7. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
  8. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    @Fureeku

Do you know of any live streaming links to watch the Ceres vs Maziya AFC Cup match tomorrow?

9. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Try hahasport.com. Worked for me everytime.

10. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #10 Pelefan, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks. Will post in our filipinoforums if it works.

Update: Just checked. Still no listing for that game in hahasports. Only AFC Champion's League games.

11. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    The game will be broadcast live on Television Maldives, which has so far always meant that hahasports would find a way to stream it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the match. These are two decent teams and, even though most Maldivians consider them to be an "insignificant" club, I've really liked the look of Maziya in pre-season.

12. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #13 Pelefan, Feb 17, 2015
    http://www.maldivesoccer.com/s/I-dont-have-any-pressure-says-Suzain-5699

Here are interviews with the coaches on a maldive website. I don't really know how this will turn out as this will be the first time for a Philippine club at the AFC Cup, so you can say we are pretty inexperienced at this level. Ceres FC will also be the away team in this one off playoff match, so they would be a disadvantage. Adjusting to the weather shouldn't be a problem though as they are used to tropical climates(thank god Mongolia is not participating in this tournament as their February winter weathers can be brutal:eek:). Both teams have national team players in their lineup though, so it should be a good one.

13. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Incidentally, Maziya's striker Asadhulla Abdulla won the Maldivian Player of the Year and the 2014 Golden Boot last night. You might remember him scoring against Philippines during the Challenge Cup.

They are a very well-run neighbourhood club with a minuscule but hardcore fan base. Since gaining promotion in 2006, they have steadily worked their way to become a force to be reckoned with in Maldives. Unfortunately, the manager resigned last season and they've replaced him with an absolute tool...

14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #15 Pelefan, Feb 17, 2015
    Game starting at this link right now.

http://www.mbc.mv/news/stream

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Ceres FC did fare well against the teams from North Korea(draw) and eventual tournament champion Turkmenistan(narrow 2-1 loss) in the 2014 AFC President's Cup group stage last year, so they should be competitive. Both those teams ended up in the finals of that tournament.

16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It looks like nobody in Maldives is interested in this game. The stands are practically empty.

17. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    in my ranking, MAzyia is 141st in Asia with 167 pts, and Ceres is 543rd with 45 pts ... So, I don't see chances for Ceres in tis match :) Global is better tan Ceres,but , probably will be last in their group

http://footballsize.com/afc-cup-2015-groups-preview/

18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #19 Pelefan, Feb 17, 2015
    Considering the small sample size(for Philippine clubs in international play) and the Philippines debut in the AFC Cup, hard to say if those rankings reflect reality. Several of the Philippine national team players have experience playing in Europe and one of them Martin Steuble(albeit only for a few games played for MLS club Sporting Kansas last year and Swiss clubs like Grasshoppers Zurich in the past).

19. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    yah, you right, no one know how will play Philippines clubs in AFC Cup because is first year here :D but like in ACL play off, I think is a difference between clubs. Look at Seoul v Ha Noi (4-0 HT) ... probably the score will be not same, but i think Maziya will win :) home advantage is huge

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Philippine clubs have also held their own against Singaporean clubs, some of whom participated in the
    AFC Cup, during Singapore Cup play.

21. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Like I said, Maziya are a neighborhood recreation club founded by a group of friends in 1996. Their brand is more renowned for automobile repair, internal design and electrical wiring than their football club... Aside from the big 3 (New Radiant, Club Valencia and Victory SC), support for other clubs in Maldives are minimal. Maziya's "fans", who only seem to attend cup finals, consist of friends and families of the players.

What they do very well, though, is introducing young players to the footballing scene, which is something they do out of necessity as they operate on a really tight budget.

Speaking of the match, both teams are very well-matched in terms of quality. We saw a few sporadic chances on both ends, mostly long-range efforts. Hope to see a more open second half.

22. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Maziya -vs- Ceres 0-0 (half time) until now, you have right :D It's a big opportunity for both nations to have 2 clubs in AFC Cup and collect poiints for coefficients. But, I think even Maziya or Ceres will be last in group against Bengaluru, Persipura and Warriors :D It's just my opinion, is possible to be wrong :D

I want Ceres in AFC Cup groups, I dont like MAziya name :)) :

23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    totally agree with you. either team(or at least Ceres FC) will be the underdog in their group.

24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Maziya should have scored that sitter.