2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by MLS Detroit, Jul 30, 2002.

1. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if North America is assured of hosting the 2014 World Cup?

Mike

2. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    They are not. Not even 2010 is decided.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Re: Re: 2014 World Cup

Then who started the story that Bhutan will host the 2014 WC...?

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Re: 2014 World Cup

It was a joke.

We all know Monseratt will host it. Will be the most explosive World Cup ever. ;)

Sachin

5. Robert Lanza

Robert Lanza Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA 2014

All the U.S. really has to do is declare their intentons to bid and the finals will be here. After the success of USA 94, Asia and Africa getting their chance (predicting So Africa in 2010), the US is the most logical choice.

6. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Re: USA 2014

Someone please tell me that this is a joke or, failing that, tell me where I can buy some of what this character is smoking. Funny thing is, I think he actually believes what he's written though there has to be a bit of irony in there somewhere. Surely?

7. Achilles

Achilles New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Arizona
    Not so far fetched

FIFA made an awful lot of money on USA 94. Large stadiums and a lot of them, they've proven that people will show up.

Africa is another good bet. If not 2010, then certainly 2014. Just simple logistics.

I'd say whoever made the prediction of South Africa is right on, but I don't think USA will get the honors again until 2018. Depends on the financial situation of football however, they know they can make some cash here. And let's admit it, that's all they are about.

8. SousaJP

SousaJP New Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    I think USA in 2022 makes the most sense.

Germany has 2006, South Africa is the favorite for 2010, then I think a South American country is due the world cup in 2014 since the last time they hosted was in 1978 (Argentina). But the Europeans will be crying for a Cup on their continent again by then, so they could get the 2018 tournament, which leaves the USA waiting until 2022.

9. Robert Lanza

Robert Lanza Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suprisingly, my friend, I am as lucid as can be after having to put up with all the Eurosnobbery that passes for rational thought on these boards. I suppose you would much rather see a more "traditional" footballing nation instead, like say.....England? Please, FIFA never had it so good as after USA 94 or shall I refresh your memory? Every match sold out, teams from every competing nation were welcomed with open arms at every venue by thousands of expatriates, a seven-figure profit for FIFA and the USSF on the interest alone. Dare I also fail to mention that despite the record attendance, there was not one single act of violence attributed directly to hooliganism inside or outside any venue (a foreign concept to you, I would imagine).

If common (and business) sense can be put in smokable form, it's obvious you've passed on a hit.

10. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    First of all, I don't know how many World Cups you've been to, but "not many" would be my guess if you think that 1994 was the zenith of the tournament's history. Most of what you say about that particular event is true. What you omit to mention is that it took it place in a country where most people didn't give a damn about the tournament...where there was no real atmosphere in the country as a whole (only in an around the stadiums themselves)...and that as such, the World Cup that year had an extraordinary feeling of ambivalence about it. But the point here is not to knock the States, and none of the facts above (yours or mine) have anything at all to do with where the 2014 World Cup will take place.

The real point is that there are plenty of countries more deserving than the US and, for that matter, England, who haven't held the tournament already as little as twenty years earlier and, if you'd made even a cursory study of FIFA's pronouncements on future World Cup venues then you'd know that the 2014 tournament is highly, highly unlikely to be played in the States.

Why do some of you hide behind accusations of "Euro-snobbery" whenever you have no other reasonable justification for writing rubbish?

11. Robert Lanza

Robert Lanza Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA 2014

Syd. Take a few deep breaths. In through the nose, out through the mouth. I was simply posing the possibility and viability of another WC Finals being hosted here. The host for 2014 will be decided in 2008. In six years, America's "mainstream" ambivalence toward the sport most likely will not have waned. Neither probably will have FIFA's financial woes. If Mr. Blatter's promise to rotate the finals among the continents holds true, the Cup will be back in the Western Hemisphere by 2014. Although rightly South America's turn, there are very few if any SA countries who will be able to successfully host the finals, given the current economic (Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil) or political (Colombia, Peru) situations in most of these countries. Perhaps Chile might be the most likely candidate. This will probably open the door to a return to North America and the lure of a certain profit to help FIFA's ailing coffers by awarding the Finals to the US MAKES BUSINESS SENSE.

Syd, I am a traditionalist as well. I look forward to Germany 2006, when I will be attending the Finals abroad for the first time (I attended several matches at USA 94, BTW). I understood the international reaction when the US was awarded the finals in 1988. But while you folks across the pond were pondering the disaster that was sure to ensue, the US organizers staged the most successful finals in recent memory both on the field and off (despite games starting at high noon to accomodate European TV). FIFA is first and foremost a business and the most important part of business is to spread the word to the masses. Why the US in 1994? Why Asia in 2002? Why not?

Forgive the "Eurosnob" comment, but the same passion millions of us Americans feel for the sport but can't express because we live in a mostly apathetic country (which forces us to commiserate on boards like these, no offense, BS), you get to absorb and revel in EVERY DAY. I just wish you all would appreciate it a little more and cut us some slack.

12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Amen, I wish I was older when WC '94 was here. Luckly I got to go to 2 games which is more than half the world can say in their life time. But i see us getting it in 2018. And it goes like so...
    2006-Scum, errr Germany
    2010-South Africa
    2014- Europe, maybe Holland or Portugal or England
    2018- USA

13. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    FIFA has already stated that the WC will rotate from continent to continent. With that logic in mind, I seriously doubt the USA or any North American country will get the cup until 2022. Remember Oceania still needs to get its chance at hosting and South America hasn't hosted since 1978.

14. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    Oceania cannot get a team in the World Cup, why do they deserve to host ofer a quarter-finals country? I understand the conference rotation and stuff, i just dont like it.

15. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Re: USA 2014

Well put and fair enough. Though I think I am probably, for the most part, fairer about the US than many of my compatriots on the board.

16. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    the truth- us people on the message board have no control over who fifa picks... so guess what we are wasting time with this topic... all it is is speculation unless one of you people is a fifa executive

17. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    FIFA is probably thinking that it can make decent money in Australia as well so I wouldn't be surprised to see a cup there, but I think 2014 will go to South America. FIFA will need to make some money after the risk it will take with South Africa in 2010.

18. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    The reasons for letting Australia host the World Cup finals is just about the same that made USA get it in 1994. You can definitely trust them to do a good job when it comes to organization, venues etc. The sport is not very strong in the country and needs the boost a World Cup on home ground could give. Australia hasn't managed to qualify since 1974(?). USA hadn't managed to qualify for the finals since 1950 when it was decided to let them host the games. I think World Cup finals in Australia definitely is a reasonable thought, maybe already in 2014.

19. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reasons for letting Australia host the World Cup finals is just about the same that made USA get it in 1994. You can definitely trust them to do a good job when it comes to organization, venues etc. The sport is not very strong in the country and needs the boost a World Cup on home ground could give. Australia hasn't managed to qualify since 1974(?). USA hadn't managed to qualify for the finals since 1950 when it was decided to let them host the games. I think World Cup finals in Australia definitely is a reasonable thought, maybe already in 2014.

I would make the exact same argument for Canada in either 2014 or 2018.

Mike

20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Australia has a better team than USA in 1994.

21. SousaJP

SousaJP New Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    Canada?

22. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    Canada is a country? I always thought it was a state, or territory or something. lol

23. sammydog

sammydog Member

Jan 6, 2002
    Newcastle, Australia
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't see why that is a reason for us not hosting the World Cup. As has been said before, the US hadn't qualified since 1950 when they got to host in 1994. You have remember that every other confederation has DIRECT qualification to the finals.

Australia has announced their bid for the 2014 world cup today, while Sepp Blatter is in sydney.

24. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Australia is welcome to host the cup, they would do it well.....but in that year there would be no Oceania direct qualification, which would anger New Zealand.....Australia's situation and the USA's in 1994 are so very different....with only 11 teams in the confederation its tough to argue for a direct qualification, especially if OFC does their qualification like last time, which was a disgrace....Australia would most likely qualify out of Asia if they had to, which gives them leverage to broker a hosting deal, but im not sold on direct qualification yet for them, its just not logical

25. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Canada is also capable of hosting, and with a bright young team, they may qualify for the next cup and earn some global recgonition back