Rumor: 2014 World Cup Winners

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Mattcat424, Jun 30, 2011.

1. dino1974

dino1974 New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Belgium's a dark horse. Lots of talented young players. Lukaku, Hazard, Kompany, Vermaelen, Fellaini, DeBruyne, ...

2. KyleS8

KyleS8 Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Vertonghen (sp?), Alderweireld, Mertens and Defour to add to that list as well.

3. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    That is definitely not true. The Germans wanted to play the game very much and went into it highly motivated. The only thing is that because it was not about winning the cup anymore, Löw permitted some of the bench players to start who had not been given much opportunity to play so far in the world cup. This was a gracious gesture from the coach, who had done the same thing in 2006 when they allowed Kahn to play in the last game for Lehman.
    Apart from that it was a fantastic game as anyone who saw it will attest, both teams played great.

Out of three teams who have my highest respect for continually fielding a national team that can compete with the best in the world while drawing from a small population base (Netherlands, Portugal and Uruguay), Uruguay has got to be the most impressive. Showing a total population of just under 3.5 m people (about a seventh of the population of Sao Paulo alone) it is incredible how they do this. But having said and meaning all this, I wouldn't put any money on them being able to even repeat their success of advancing to the semis in WC 2014, although I would be very happy for them if they did.

4. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Of course you are entitled to your hopes and dreams, but I'm afraid this is fairly illusionary. As much as I would like to see the U.S. play a bigger role in world soccer and although the national team always plays with a big heart and can be a very tough opponent for any team in the world on a good day, I believe I'm not being overly harsh when I say that they have not really come any closer to actually winning the world cup since 1994.
    Since that time, how many more kids have started to play soccer in the streets and parks, how many more kids have taken up competitive soccer at an age higher than 12 and most importantly: How many more U.S. players are playing on teams which are regular contestants in the Champions League or even the Europa League (I know Cherundolo is just about to make a run in the Europa league with Hannover and I'm very happy for him and the team). But I'm afraid any such progress is very limited if at all existing.

If you want to talk about countries who have come a ways in world soccer take a closer look and Japan and South Korea.

5. Loddar

Loddar Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Herzogenaurach
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As a German I feel Germany is being overrated in that poll...
    Brazil is the host and with their pedigree should be favourite number one by default for this tournament.

6. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    Lahm and Podolski also had the flu.

7. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    I agree. Lots of young talent doesn't always translate into a world class team a few years down the road.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Nothing against Belgium, but they have most of those players now and it looks like they're not even qualifying for the 2012 Euros.

9. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Add to that the possibility there might not be a Belgium in 2014...

10. KyleS8

KyleS8 Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, they have been struggling but they're in a tough group with Germany and Turkey. Still a very young group.

11. KyleS8

KyleS8 Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fmp. :D

12. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    A tough group indeed. The inherent aim of the Qualifying Round is to determine the current top 16 teams in Europe. Judging from the level of play at least Belgium, Germany and Turkey should definitely be included in the European Top 16 and a good argument could be made for Austria, too.

Too bad, really.

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well top 14, unless u consider Ukraine + Poland in the top 16...

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Come on, that's a stretch. I think an argument could be made for Belgium to be top 14 (along with about a dozen others), but to say they "definitely" belong in that group is going too far. The fact is, they'd still be in a good position to finish 2nd if they only could have beaten Austria at home and Azerbaijan.

So I see no reason to put them on another level above Slovakia, Serbia, Sweden, Greece, Denmark, Croatia, etc. They're at the same level and that's being very generous.

15. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Admitted, it's the same level, although more may yet be expected from this young group, they didn't perform that great. Still, they would have had a better chance in other groups.

16. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I agree with the charrua.

BTW, who the hell has New Zealand in the poll and omits Uruguay or Chile? It's very hard to take this seriously... unless this is a Rugby World cup poll.

17. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    Even worse, New Zealand has more votes than several decent teams.

18. Loddar

Loddar Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Herzogenaurach
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What´s wrong with New Zealand?:confused: I voted for them!!!;)

19. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Hell no. :D

20. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I would replace Switzerland/Australia/Honduras/New Zealand/USA with Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Russia, Belgium, Turkey and maybe even dark horses like Ghana and Japan.

21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Honestly given the quality of the new generation of Swiss players they have every right to be on the list. Especially ahead of Russia, Belgium and Turkey.

22. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    The final is set in stone:

Uruguay - Argentina

take it to the bank...

the only question is:
    how many brazilians are going to jump off bridges this time around?

;)

23. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yeah right... that final is as likely as New Zealand vs Mexico.

24. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Lol......Will uruguay even qualify? Much less get out the group stage?

25. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    im telling you now that Brazil in going to win the final, Neymar and Pato are going to kill the attacking, with Thiago Silva and D.Avles control the back.

the only team that have a chance is Germany.

When Brazil win 2014 world cup, you will say to yourself the person on bigsoccer site was right. :)