2014 WC Qualifying - Back on Track!

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Blind right now should be our starting leftback, but thats because we simply dont have anyone better.

Having said that I do hope he progresses (as well as say Gio did last decade)

2. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Roma are doing really well and the mid-field trio of De Rossi, Strootman and Pjanic is doing fantastic. Happy for Strootman.

Rudi Garcia is a decent coach with a good footballing philosophy. If I had to choose a foreign club for players like Blind, Narsingh, Ola John to play and develop then its Roma.

The LB, RB, LW/RW and CF positions at Roma would open up in the future.

Ola John should get rid of the Benfica bench and go there. He will definitely push Gervinho and Florenzi and get a good amount of playing time.

3. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    In my view Blind is an average joe's solution. Steady and gets the job done, but everything he does is rather mediocre. Won't be a game changer, and won't leave too much impression when the game is over. Low risk, low gain.

Willems to me is a high risk, high gain player. He is more prone to error, probably more defensively-challenged but offers more, speed-wise and technically speaking. At PSV, I really like how Willems can burst into the penalty box. This does two things.. creates scoring opportunities for his own (or for his men if he decides to square) and makes the opposing team think twice to double-team Depay. If Willems can develop on his shooting accuracy, he will be a much desired option. Having said that, defensively, in order for Willems to work, he needs a winger who diligently tracks back and can cover the open spaces. Depay has been pretty good at tracking back. At the N.T level, I would think Lens has the work rate to do the same. Willems and Robben together may not work too well, as Robben can be lazy at times and leave his door open.

What will be interesting is if LvG sticks with Nigel De Jong from this point forward. By default, De Jong will stick around in his own half. This may be a good scenario in which Willems can be unleashed freely, without sacrificing the defense too much.

How about BMI at LB if Vlaar and Bruma somehow claims their stakes at the center? Solid defender with quickness, crossings are question marks, but he may compensate with the ability to attack set-piece.

4. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I might be wrong I have been proven both right and wrong in the past but if we are to do well at the world cup is out not in our best interest to start trimming down the usage of all these players obviously we never want to say player will never play for Holland but which players should be out of contention for wk14 spot?

I think buttner eliminated, viergever, heitinga seedorf, De Guzman, van aanholt and unfortunately for me Anita are not going to be considered now

5. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The whole purpose of having De Jong defeats the purpose of good football because it makes the team dysfunctional as De Jong stays ahead of the defence creating two layers of 5 and 5.

The mid-field must be balanced and must be able to link attack with defends.

Willems apart from pace, dribbling and technique does not offer much offensively. His crossing is poor and shooting is very average.

Apart from that he cant defend. He is a LW who is playing LB. He will get burned everytime he plays a good opposition even if Depay or Lens tracks back like a mad-man. He is just not a good defender at all.

I fail to understand how is BMI better than Blind at LB. He is a CB playing LB so he does not offer anything offensively and is slow for a LB and does not over-lap. The only positive thing he gives is a good eye for a pass.

Sure if you wanna shut shop, play De Jong infront of the CB's and BMI at LB.

But still the best option will be a Mid-field 3 of Strootman, Van Ginkel/Clasie/Fer/De Guzman, VDV/Maher or Sneijder where all 3 defend and attack creating a fluid 3 Man Mid-field

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If we wanna survive the group stage in 2014 I think vGaal should revert back to a 4-2-3-1 system with 2 holding MF'ers like we had in 2010. Our defense might be okay against the likes of Turkey or Romania, but its too weak to handle the big countries.

So I'd start something like this:

------------------Keeper----------------------
    Janmaat-------Vlaar----BMI----------Blind
    ------------de Jong----Strootman-----------
    ------Robben---------------------Sneijder----
    ---------------------vPersie-------------------

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If they play a 4-2-3-1 the result will not be like 2010 but more like 2012. The only way this team does anything in Brazil is to play aggressively and not passively.

TFC Ajax repped this.
  8. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Kind of arrogant to field only 10 players imo.

TFC Ajax repped this.
  9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    LOL....glad you caught that.

Lets try this again:

------------------Keeper----------------------
    Janmaat-------Vlaar----BMI----------Blind
    ------------de Jong----Strootman-----------
    Robben-----------Sneijder---------------Lens
    ---------------------vPersie-------------------

10. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    i got germany twice once germany usa ivory coast and holland then

germany australia, ivory coast and holland group c and e Recife and natal and belo horizonte as stadiums. which stadiums do we want to avoid and which stadiums is the weather more suited, so that way when the draw is done we know which groups is favorable and which are not, based purely on geography

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    vPersie, Robben and Sneijder(2) all scored today

12. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    [​IMG]

Our own Balotelli..

[​IMG]

..and not the first time either. :p

DRB300 repped this.
  13. You must be joking.....Gio didnot have to progress, he was bad in the eyes of people that have no clue of quality soccer players. He was key instrumental to the success of Barca and was called one of the best defenders in the world by his team mates. You really think Barca buys un unproven player that has to improve himself and play him from the start on...:ROFLMAO: He was the only player that played all CL matches in the year he won it.

14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^^ I'm talking about his period after he left Arsenal

15. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What's up guys? I proposed these questions to a few fans on an other site and was curious to your guys thoughts and findings on the subject?

Holland has a home base set up for the world cup at a hotel in Rio I can't quite recall it's name.

Brazil has 12 stadiums in various cities all over Brazil with vast distances between them with different weather temperatures and field dimensions.

Depending on what group and area Holland is selected for the draw in theory Holland could have lots of travel by plane and play in the heat. (Example Brazil is A1, 3other teams will be selected and get A2. A3, A4 pot 1 gets first position)

Each position had to travel to certain stadiums and play teams in an order in the group.

So let me know what you guys think about how potential heat, humidity, travel and field dimensions will affect the performance of the Dutch national team?

And who knows if we collect a lot of good information and stuff we should send it to the knvb

16. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I watched PSV play the last match.

Maher was very average and dissapointing. I liked the new DM follow who came of instead of Schaars.

Bruma seemed like a rookie who had an average game.

Willems was bad as usual. Elbowed a player which should have been a penalty.

Tyton the GK cant play football and his kicking is absolutely horrible and makes Vermeer look a bloody brillaint GK with the ball.

Depay was good. He once again showed he had good technical, dribbing skills with a good 1st Touch. His shooting was off like always and he did not show any great vision/crossing. Its a shame he is not taking his game to the next level.

Matavz was horrible and it was a shame to see him lead a Good Footballing team with 0 skills.

Overall a bunch of average Dutch Footballers. No one really did very well

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  18. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    LVG - Robben, Strootman and RVP guaranteed spots at the WC.

20 Other spots open and anyone can get in

19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Does that mean I have a chance??

20. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe

21. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    VDW with 2 assists already. Zlatan hattrick and still on the hunt for more.

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    vd Wiel with 2 nice assists today

23. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Anyone a PSG watcher? vd Wiel didnt get a starting spot over the existing RB who was captain, I think the captain got injured? and for a time now vd Wiel has been playing. But is vd Wiel playing well, or is he just playing ''fine'' because his team is so much better than most of the teams he faces, like against Anderlecht?

Lets hope he continues to get playing time atleast.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I've seen a couple of matches and vd Wiel is playing quite well. If he continues to hold down his spot in the starting lineup he will be the starting right fullback in Brazil next summer.

25. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What formation is psg playing with I haven't seen them this year, last year they had a 3_5_2 thing going on where van Der wiel was more of a winger back