2014 WC Brasil - CONCACAF WCQ opponents watch [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TimB4Last, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucy's sweater is sky blue...celeste...

[​IMG]

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Called in from Europe for Mexico's March 5 friendly v Nigeria ...

Héctor Moreno- RCD Espanyol de Barcelona
    Guillermo Ochoa- AC Ajaccio
    Javier Hernández- Manchester United FC
    Giovani Dos Santos- Villarreal C.F.
    Javier Aquino - Villarreal C.F.
    Héctor Herrera - FC Porto
    Diego Reyes – FC Porto
    Andrés Guardado – Bayer Leverkusen

http://www.femexfut.org.mx/portalv2/aspx/WEB_DetalleNoticia.aspx?pnIDNtca=42065

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    All that spoken with a carefully developed Spanish accent. "Es una dethision que tiene anyos..."

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vela is a huge Basketball fan, the FIBA World Cup is in Spain this year, I bet that if Mexico called him up for that team, he would say yes in a second.

6. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Reyes has been playing for FC Porto's B side in the Portugese second division, and hasn't actually made an appearance for the senior team yet.

7. manuel84

manuel84 Member+

Oct 16, 2012
    Tatatatamaulipas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    only 1 game in the cup, 2 times at the bench in league and twpo times bench en UEFA League. his coach says he is lack of body strength, he needs to bulk up and is working for that. The only game he had with the first team he was awful for some minutes. Not too bad in Porto B, 3 goals 1 assist. Otamendi is already sold to Valencia, Mangala is almost leaving to Man City so next season could be 100% in first team. He's 21 so he has time.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't you think that a player that will be at the World Cup should be playing at a higher level though? The second division in Portugal isn't all that great.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. manuel84

manuel84 Member+

Oct 16, 2012
    Tatatatamaulipas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    out of the body strenght we think Reyes is a complete CB, he can dissimulate that "problem" with class at defense. He's too young, i would be worried if he were older that 25 and still playing in a second division. We all know what is Porto and we all know the system they have to develop young players. He is a project thinking about the future of the MXNT.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A project that could be starting for Mexico in the world cup. Scary.

11. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He started every game in the Olympics, playing against Hulk, Neymar, Oscar and contained them quite well - his form and confidence dropped from the ship wreck that was the Hex.

Hes ability is not the question here, its he confidence.

GrandeSoccer and Miguel Myers repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    WC>>>>>>Olympics.

As you mentioned as well, his form is going to be pretty bad going into the World Cup since he isn't even playing first team football.

13. manuel84

manuel84 Member+

Oct 16, 2012
    Tatatatamaulipas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Lavolpe did the same with Guardado in 2006. But we don't know if he will be starting, seems like Herrera rate higher El Maza even El Topo :confused:

14. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wasnt comparing the tournaments to one another, i was simply implying that he does have experience at a high level, he also was a starter in LigaMX for two straight seasons.

My point is hes a well established starter and is used to high level football at such a young age. Granted he hasn't been playing at a high level for some months but there will be friendlies for him to get his confidence and form back.

Miguel Myers repped this.
  15. gvazqu1

gvazqu1 Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Y tu que le explicas ... si le parece bien si no también

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A few friendlies is not enough for a young player who has a lot of developing to do. If Reyes is going to be ready to start for Mexico at the World Cup, then he needs to be playing every week and at a high level against good competition. I don't know how much he is going to develop playing against youth players. He's got a lot of developing left. He should have tried to get a loan to Liga MX until the World Cup.

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...so no one's going to mention Joel Campbell's golazo against Man United?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    definitely a golazo, Campbell's going places

19. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good mention. As a Arsenal fan I have downplayed Campbell's abilities to contribute for Arsenal, but not only was it a beautiful goal, but he is the only Arsenal-owned player to score against ManUre this season.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I was praising Bryan Oviedo and jinxed him. So I better keep quiet about Campbell. :(

Crimen y Castigo repped this.
  21. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    I agree with this to some extent.

It's true that Reyes needs PT to refine his skills and ultimately, be match fit before the WC. But at the same time, Reyes has shown in the past he can play at a high level. So, it isn't like a random nobody that will be starting for Mexico XI.

The thing about Reyes is that he is a hard worker and has the intelligence to improve on his weakness i.e. strength. He may not get major minutes with Porto's main team this current season, but the next one? You betcha.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was just talking about in terms of this summer since from a player stand point, all anyone is worrying about is how each player is playing leading up to the World Cup.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The problem is that their alternatives are the 'troncos' Maza Rodriguez and Rafa Marquez, so they need Reyes even if he's not ready yet.

24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Campbell is still a diving piece of garbage.

pichichi2010 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  25. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    Well, given Reyes' performance with Porto B (good), he's doing nothing wrong. If he keeps this up, barring injury, he will force Porto's hand and force them to put Reyes in the main team. I mean, who knows? From now until June, anything could happen. Reyes could fall into oblivion or become one of Porto's important defenders. I am a realistic kind of guy, following a line of regression, Reyes should join Porto's main team but the main question is will he replace one of the starting CBs this season? Tough to say.

Personally, I believe he will be a squad member with Porto's main team by the end of this season. At worst, he will be the standout/main player for Porto B.