2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by jonny63, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Kuala Lumpur: AFC has announced the rankings for the FIFA World Cup 2014 Asian Qualifiers Round 1 draw that takes place on 30 March 2010 at AFC House.

The rankings are based on the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa Finals as well as the Asian qualifying rounds for the main tournament. The final number of entries will be confirmed later by FIFA.

Newly crowned Asian champions Japan are the top-ranked team, followed in second place by fellow East Asians Korea Republic. Both the sides had reached the Round of 16 in the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

Australia and DPR Korea, the two other Asian teams which had played in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, and 2010 FIFA World Cup Asian play-off participants Bahrain round off the top five.

Brunei DS, who are suspended by FIFA, are the only team not ranked among AFC’s 46 Member Associations.

Rankings for the FIFA World Cup 2014 Asian Qualifiers Round 1

1. Japan, 2. Korea Republic, 3. Australia, 4. DPR Korea, 5. Bahrain, 6. Saudi Arabia, 7. Iran, 8, Qatar, 9. Uzbekistan, 10. UAE, 11. Syria, 12. Oman, 13. Jordan, 14. Iraq, 15. Singapore, 16, China, 17, Kuwait, 18. Thailand, 19. Turkmenistan, 20. Lebanon, 21, Yemen, 22. Tajikistan, 23. Hong Kong, 24. Indonesia, 25. Kyrgyzstan, 26. Maldives, 27. India, 28. Malaysia, 29-30, Afghanistan, Cambodia, 31. Nepal, 32. Bangladesh, 33-34. Sri Lanka, Vietnam, 35. Mongolia, 36. Pakistan, 37. Palestine, 38. Timor Leste, 39. Macau, 40-41. Chinese Taipei, Myanmar, 42-43. Bhutan, Guam, 44-45. The Philippines, Laos
    Suspended-Brunei DS

http://www.the-afc.com/en/tournaments/men-a-youth/fifa-world-cup/33660-fwcq-2014-rankings-announced

2. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Now that the rankings are known, can someone tell how the draw would be done?

For instance, Afghanistan is ranked 29 or 30, does it mean they might confront with Uzbekistan or UAE, because they are ranked 9 and 10?

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    There will be a draw with most likely two pots. Seeds 7 to 27 for example in pot 1 to be drawn at random with teams in pot 2 that would be seeds 28 onwards for instance.

Afghanistan could draw seed 7, they could draw seed 25 for example. All open draw. Obviously, you can't draw a team in the same pot as you.

4. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Format was not annouced on AFC website today. Note the information from Chinese website in this thread... Format might be changed.

5. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I think that Chinese source should be taken with a pinch of salt? I mean apart from them, no other source has reported anything that hints towards a change in format. So as far as I'm concerned, it's still the same format unless announced otherwise later on before the draw or even during/after the draw.

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I have been researching other sites looking for confirmation on the format suggested by the Chinese publication but have not found any yet. It would be better for the weaker teams as it provides them the option of having more games to gain experience. But without any announcement from the AFC, I will have to assume that the previous format used in WC qualifying for WC 2010 is still the one they will use this time around.

7. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I tend to agree with that

8. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    That's practically what I have posted. :mad: :p

9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    So isn't it good that I am reinforcing what you said?:D

10. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Well not long to go before the draw. 30th March for all draws.. interesting time for Asian football

11. w-inds.

w-inds. Member

May 6, 2006
    there are some new related Chinese news in this week...

China may face tougher opponents like Lebanon,Yemen,Tajikistan,Hong Kong,Indonesia,Kyrgyzstan,Maldives,India,Malaysia in second round

Gao Hongbo said the team will pay for past performance

http://sports.sina.com.cn/n/2011-03-11/17035484757.shtml

http://translate.google.com/transla...ts.sina.com.cn/n/2011-03-11/17035484757.shtml

12. Edgar

Edgar Member

13. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    The latest suggestion out of CONCACAF looks like making the USA's path even easier - not just skipping the preliminaries knockout (like Australia et al), but also the first group stage - CONCACAF would cut the teams to 12 before the USA and Mexico enter. (http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/i...1/03/16/seguira-el-hexagonal-en-eliminatorias).

Will you still say the USA and Mexico have EARNED their places.

J

14. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Asia will begin the race to the FIFA World Cup 2014™. Ahead of the Preliminary Draw in Brazil on 30 July 2011, teams from the Asian continent will contest a preliminary round of matches. The draw for this first round takes place on 30 March 2011 at AFC House in Kuala Lumpur.

The first round will consist of seven home-and-away series, featuring the 14 lowest ranked teams in Asia. The winners of these series will then proceed to a second round.

Suspended: Brunei DS
    Not participating: Bhutan, Guam.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/n...tt=&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

15. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    14 Lowest ranked nations who play in First Round :

29-30, Afghanistan, Cambodia,
    31. Nepal,
    32. Bangladesh,
    33-34. Sri Lanka, Vietnam,
    35. Mongolia,
    36. Pakistan,
    37. Palestine,
    38. Timor Leste,
    39. Macau,
    40-41. Chinese Taipei, Myanmar,
    42-43. The Philippines, Laos

Afghanistan and Cambodia are ranked equal , one of them have to play in First Round and the other in Second Round ?

16. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    So that Chinese source reporting about a preliminary round was legit. lol.

17. w-inds.

w-inds. Member

May 6, 2006
    Guam may compete in Pacific Games

18. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    It's never that simply is it!

19. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I would say Afghanistan will be part of the bottom 14. For the qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup they both had a smiliar record of losing 5-1 on aggregate but Cambodia scored an away goal.

Ya I know, just a random thought.... lol.

20. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    First round is still seeded ?

Seeded

29-30, Afghanistan or Cambodia,
    31. Nepal,
    32. Bangladesh,
    33-34. Sri Lanka, Vietnam,
    35. Mongolia,
    36. Pakistan,

Unseeded :
    37. Palestine,
    38. Timor Leste,
    39. Macau,
    40-41. Chinese Taipei, Myanmar,
    42-43. The Philippines, Laos

21. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    This format gives the weaker teams a chance to get more experience and revenue.

22. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Would be a logical guess. Also, presumably the second round will be seeded as well.
    Seeds - 5-20 (China to Lebanon)
    Unseeded - 21 onwards (Yemen and below) (9 teams plus 7 R1 winners)

That's 16 ties - with the 4 2010 finalists joining them in the main draw.

J

23. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    That is very unfortunate for Afghanistan, if they do not play in the second knock-out stage.

Afghanistan's home match v. Syria in 2010 first round of WCQ was played outside Afghanistan in Tajikestan due to security reasons.

24. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I believe in equal opportunity... if Mexico and the US (or Asia's big boys) think the early stages of qualifying are such a farce let them send weakened squads. Just for the record the gap that exists between the US/Mexico and the median team in COCNCACAF (this month it is St. Kitts and Nevis) is far greater than the corresponding Asian gap (Japan and 22nd ranked Singapore).

That said this might be a moot point, depending on the format once the pool is whittled down to 36 (four groups of 9? With a best runner up going into the final round?) That would be more equitable.

25. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    all will be revealed who the bottom 14 teams are on 30 March. AFC might just flick a coin to see if Afghanistan or Cambodia will play the first round..