2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by jonny63, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    KUALA LUMPUR: The AFC Competitions Committee has decided to use the present qualification format for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

The top five teams from the 2010 FIFA World Cup will be given direct entry into the third round while the remaining 38 teams will play home and away in the opening round.

The 11 highest-ranked teams from the second round will be given direct entry into the third round while the lowest eight teams will qualify for Round 2.

After playing home-and-away in the second round, four winners will join the top five teams and 11 qualifiers in the third round where they will be divided into five groups of four teams each.

The winners and runners of each group will qualify for the final round where the 10 teams will be divided into two groups of five teams each.

The group winners and runners-up will make it to the 2014 FIFA World Cup while the third-placed team in each group will play home-and-away for the fifth place.

http://www.the-afc.com/en/inside-af...014-fifa-world-cup-qualifying-format-approved

2. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I suppose the format can still be used if the amount of spots change

3. trekky76

trekky76 Member

May 31, 2008
    Stockholm
    I would much prefer the 2006 system. That said, there just isn't enough quality in AFC for an allover group system to be used.

4. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    You sure they aren't pre-empting that decision with this one!

You might want to note that the dates for the 2014 qualifying schedule have been part of the AFC calendar for a while now. The dates are a bit odd (The 4th round has MD 1,2,3,4,6 + 8 listed) and an initial playoff round in June 2013 (which should probably be the two missing matchdays).

J

5. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Possible seeding if AFC using same seeding system as in 2010 Qualifiers :

1-5
    Australia,Korea Republic,Japan,Korea DPR,(Bahrain/Saudi Arabia)
    depends on results of play-offs, World Cup finals

6 Bahrain/Saudi Arabia
    7 Iran
    8 Qatar
    9 Uzbekistan
    10 United Arab Emirates
    11 Syria
    12 Oman
    13 Jordan
    14 Iraq
    15 China PR
    16 Singapore
    17 Kuwait
    18 Thailand
    19 Turkmenistan
    20 Lebanon
    21 Yemen
    22 Tajikistan
    23 Hong Kong
    24 Indonesia

25 Kyrgyzstan
    26 Maldives
    27 India
    28 Malaysia
    29 Afghanistan/Cambodia
    30 Afghanistan/Cambodia
    31 Nepal
    32 Bangladesh
    33 Sri Lanka/Vietnam
    34 Sri Lanka/Vietnam
    35 Mongolia
    36 Pakistan/Palestine
    37 Pakistan/Palestine
    38 Timor-Leste
    39 Macau
    40 Chinese Taipei/Myanmar
    41 Chinese Taipei/Myanmar
    42-46
    Bhutan,Brunei,Guam,Laos,Philippines

http://roonba.20.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1529

6. Edgar

Edgar Member

7. Iraqi69

Iraqi69 New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Mesopotamia
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq

lol, against a Z team, if you have forget that they lost the first match 7-0

8. Edgar

Edgar Member

That doesn't really matter - they still got a point. Tanaka sorted the teams based on aggregate score. He should have also taken into account the number of points won.

9. gil69250

gil69250 New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    hi everybody, somebody knows where i could find the mongolian soccer jersey please. i'm looking it for a long time...

thanks

10. georgemladenov

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd would like to see two groups of 6, with 5 AFC and 1 OFC team in each group in the final stage. Top two in each directly qualifying, 3 v 3 would be a battle for direct qualification. The matchday schedule would stay exactly the same, except the two September dates are the extra two rounds added by the OFC teams, with the playoffs still in October/November.

If 2 OFC teams is too many, than we can still add the Oceania champion + another AFC team.

11. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This would be a good idea IF we get to share the spot with Oceania. Like always the other confeds will be lining up to playoff against OFC.

12. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    KUALA LUMPUR: Only days after the draw for the FIFA World Cup 2010 finals, a handful of Asian countries can already start preparing their qualifying campaigns for the 2014 competition.

The 2014 FIFA World Cup Asian qualifiers start on October 8, 2010 with Match Day 1 of the first round. MD2 is on October 12, 2010.

The AFC Competitions Department has yet to announce the qualification format for the 2014 finals, to be held in Brazil.

http://www.the-afc.com/en/inside-af...proves-md1-for-2014-fifa-world-cup-qualifiers

13. Edgar

Edgar Member

14. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    probably can't confirm until FIFA's final decision on how many spots AFC will get for Brazil - could be 4 or 4.5 or 5.

Seeds would now be:

1-5 Australia, Korea Republic, Japan, Korea DPR, Bahrain

6 Saudi Arabia having to go into Round 1 with the rest.

15. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I'm guessing the bottom 12 of the 46 teams will play a two-legged playoff, then it would be 10 groups of 4 with the winner progressing to the final round (two groups of five).

16. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    FIFA has also mandated that the FIFA rankings muct be used for determining seeds (even for the WC;)). AFC was the only confed to not use them last time, maybe FIFA are insisting this time.

Also they may be looking at combining AFC and OFC for WC Qualifications - OFC to enter in the final round the most likely method. I can see 3 groups of 6 teams in the second last round with top 3 qualifying further and adding to OFC qualifier for 10 teams in the final round. Another option would be 6 groups of 4 with top team qualifying and 6 second place teams in playoffs to get in.

17. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Guys please help me out here..............are AFC considering previous qualification performance or Fifa rankings for seeding?????........please can anyone clarify my doubt..............if its previous performance then India will blow out in first round itself :(

18. Edgar

Edgar Member

At first AFC hinted they will use the same qualifying format, but they changed their mind and announced they are still working on it.
    India seem doomed anyway - it's not like they are very high in the FIFA ranking.

19. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    however the format of the world cup qual, i just hope that every team can play a a few more games then just 2. I personally beleive the knockout phase is poor... i mean how can you expect the smaller nations to develop if they only play 2 games and thats against an Iraq or Thailand side. Seems to me that the AFC want the stronger teams a free ride into the 2nd round, to avoid big margin scores,

however if you look at the European qual format, teams like Armenia, Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan always get smashed and are bottom of the group with 1 point and 60 goals conceded.

20. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I don't have a problem with it, WCQs don't exist to develop countries.
    That's what all the other int'l competitions are for.

21. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    exactly, anf if Japan vs Cambodia is 20-0 so be it? thats the beauty about the World Cup, becuase every single nation in the world takes part to quality for the most prestigious tournment in the world!

Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and India being one of the better Central Asian nations only got 2-4 games max at last years qualifiers? how can they develop?

AFC have changed Asian cup qualifying format too with all developing nations entering the Challenge cup, so again only min of 3 qual games for most nations, and thats it... atleast for the world cup reduce the 46 or whatever member nations to 40 with a quick knockout run then group 40 teams in 5 groups of 8 or something, to give everyone a chance to develop, and gain experience...

How the hell can Tajikistan being so dominant at Youth level and be able to excel in senior level when they play 2 games in wc and bow out...

22. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And they did participate.

WCQs aren't for development.

AFAIK, countries CHOOSE to enter Challenge Cup. I don't think any of them were forced to.
    Just look at DPRK or Hong Kong. If AFC was calling the shots, they would probably be swapped.

Maybe they should develop professional players better.

23. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    if WCQ games are for developing as well as trying to make it to the world cup then what is?

afc is restricting alot of the minnow nations so the bigger nations get spoon fed straight into the last round, so they are always there for major tournements...

thats obvious, changing wcq format to knockout rounds for the first 2 rounds, introducing the Challenge cup and giving seeds and seed teams waived into final rounds is pure obvious..

24. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    They aren't for developing. Other competitions like Uxx, Challenge Cup, Asia Cup, Federation Cups, Friendlies, etc. are for developing.

Nobody got spoon fed into the last round.

Nobody is forced to play in Challenge Cup.
    At the end of the day results are determined on the field. If a country can't make into the 1st group stage what chance do they have of making it into the 2nd group stage, let alone qualifying?
    IMO, AFCs system for WCQs is better than UEFAs because it relies on results instead of coca cola bottle cap points. The 3rd round groups are less flaky than UEFAs group stages because there are just 4 teams per group -- half of which go through. Then there's a second group stage in 4th round. This allows for greater variety of matchups which de-emphasizes the impact of seeding or the ability of fluke results having too big of an impact. It also allocates less FIFA match days which have to be devoted to seeing Australia pummel Sister of the Poor; instead we can see 2 countries with a shot at WC face off and decide who is truly better and deserving on the pitch. That is, after all, the point of WCQs.
    Compare this to UEFA where the draw is crucial, and tying just 1 game or only scoring 5 goals instead of 10 goals against a minnow can cost you 1st place in a group -- which results in a 1v1 that is also largely dependent on coca cola bottle cap points and luck of the draw.

No thanks. AFC got it right for this past cycle. The only Confed with a better system was CONMEBOL -- but unfortunately AFC can never do that.

25. heri kiwil

heri kiwil New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Playing in highly competitive matches is an invaluable experience to a developing nation. You like to use Australia as an example, so you might like to ask some Aussies about how much better off they are for playing actual competitive matches instead of meaningless friendlies in preparation for tournaments.

A friendly match/tournament with several substitutions which disrupt the continuity of the match are nothing but a sideshow and a team bonding exercise.
    The AFC's seeding system may be better, but the actual format of the qualifiers surely isn't.

What good is this seeding system, meanwhile, when a developing nation gets one and only one shot at contributing to their rank? Wouldn't it be fairer if they had a few more matches to be judged on, rather that a single two-leg play-off against opposition deemed to be superior from the offset?

If the WCQ were truly about sending teams that have a shot at the Cup, then I'm sorry but Asia wouldn't be sending a single team let alone 4.5!

Name me one example of where winning a match 10-0 instead of 5-0 has decided a group and you might be on your way to making a barely audible point.

Goal difference is the secondary tie-breaker in Europe. Head-to-head results come first, and before either there is the small matter of points. Teams are rewarded for their consistency, not punished for their reputation.

UEFA's system is much closer to CONMEBOL's than the AFC's is, yet you seem convinced that UEFA's is the worst and CONMEBOL's is the best, despite those similarities.