2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying VI [R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by burning_phoneix, Mar 1, 2012.

1. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    My prediction depends on the final groups and seeding but I really think South Korea might not make it this year if they get a bad draw. The Uzbeks have been very impressive and the Koreans have struggled somewhat in their group.

2. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is the Saudis next friendly?

[​IMG]

3. amrizzle

amrizzle Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Footballistan
    My ideal group for Iraq (if they use the same pots as last time):

Australia-We always have decent games against them, should bring excitement to the final round and reignite the fledgling rivalry
    Iran-A team who plays with a similar style to us and would rather have the team travel less for the games than face a more technically able far eastern team who we'd struggle against.
    Iraq
    Oman-Got through after scrapping with a poor Saudi and Thailand who while showing improvement are no real threat. Shouldn't pose too many problems when they're away from Oman.
    Lebanon- Though they recently beat us in a friendly and are playing well, I think they'll run out of steam in the final round. I'd rather we avoided Qatar too due to their ability to get results against any team when they need them. Jordan are more consistent than Lebanon too.

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'd actually like those games as well, as our Euro players wouldn't have to travel as far for our away games. That can only be a positive thing.

5. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Take points, sure, compete strongly, no doubt, take qualification from Australia, Iran, Japan or Korea? I don't see it.

Round 4 is a marathon, and that advantages the bigger sides, who can throw money at logistics and conditioning, draw on bigger talent pools and have the experience to keep it together when things get tough.

The other six teams have what it takes to win some home games and be competitive away, but to take qualification requires them to keep punching above their weight for a year.

It's possible if everything goes right, but the big four only have to get it right once or twice to derail them.

From what I saw of their games against Japan they look slick again... but that's been the way with them for what? eight years now? Like I say above, good form in R3 isn't worth anything in R4.

6. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I think Uzbekistan will make it to the world cup this time, hopefully alongside with Iraq.

7. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Given our tremendous WCQ successes in the past, Korea will somehow make it as usual. And our new manager Choi Kang-hee is the master of how to deal with various Asian sides. He has excellent track record in AFC Champions League as the Jeonbuk manager, (2 Final appearances, 4 QF appearances, 1 Championship) knowing what to do and when to do something.

8. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to the internet free state of China; wern't they supposed to be giants?

[​IMG]

9. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    :rolleyes:

10. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Who was supposing that, and what batch of hard drugs were they on?

11. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lol I want the exact same. I especially want Australia to be drawn in our group. Its long overdue and it would add more excitement. Tired of Iran playing South Korea all the time, though they are imo a tad weaker than the Socceroos at the moment.

12. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Aren't Oman and Lebanon in the same Pot? Mani, I think we need to get either Qatar or Jordan

13. amrizzle

amrizzle Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Footballistan
    Aye they're in the same pot, however going on the draw procedure for the 2010 World Cup (which is all we have at present), the final pot has the 4 lowest seeded teams and is likely to offer up any combination of 2 teams.

The draw procedure hasn't been confirmed by AFC yet for this set of qualifiers. But the thinking is that it will remain the same.

14. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Have the seedings been decided yet? I thought they were waiting for the final FIFA rankings to come out?

15. Irakien

Irakien Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    You can easily get the pots using the calculator on fifa.com (also footballrankings.info already released their prieview for the rankings). We are only waiting for the draw procedure to see whether there will be four or five pots. I guess AFC will not release the info until March 7 or 8.

16. amrizzle

amrizzle Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Footballistan
    As Irakien pointed out. AFC confirmed it will use the 7th March rankings, and I put the rankings as they will appear on the 7th (through the ranking prognosis tool) on my earlier post.

17. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Subscribe to this person:
    www.youtube.com/user/TheAsianFootball

Came across this channel yesterday, and he/she uploads full Asian WCQ matches (though not all of them) in great quality.

18. amrizzle

amrizzle Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Footballistan
    Pretty good channel man, cheers :D

19. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Qatar's goal scorer against Iran, the man who saved Qatar in the 86th minute, has received a valuable gift from the Qatari rulers - a camel called "Azadia" who has been named after the Azadi stadium in Tehran. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lol
    and I was reading in PFDC that the 'blood money' for a camel is more than a human being (300K vs. 200K).

khalijee arabs are just :D

and for the love of god, stop showing camel races on your sports channels. I have 2 arab channels and the ratio of football games to camel races is 1:500!

21. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
  22. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Will the draw be televised? If so, does anyone have links for Friday?

23. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    lol saudi is hardly in top 10 of asia, and under haiti, sierra leone, guatemala, cape verde islands, northern ireland.

24. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Blood money is set at whatever the aggrieved party wants. There is no set default price that I can recall.

Eh, in the west they have 24 hour horse betting channels.

FIFA Rankings are ********ed up, Iran is beneath Panama and Armenia for some reason.