2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying V [R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Nurafshon, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Don't you worry about me keeping my word, I always do. Just don't comeback under a new name, like the last time. ;)

2. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    Put it in your Sig, To remind you of our bet..

3. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    Put it in your Sig, To remind you of our bet..and to let everyone know...

4. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    I can go back and dig up some posts from 2010 to prove my point if you like. Also, Remember 2002? People were already planning their trips to Japan/South Korea and then we lost to Bahrain 3-1 which resulted in our elimination. It's not just the World Cup qualification that Iranians have a habit of being overconfident, during the previous Asian Cups our fans talked the loudest (sometimes I was one of them) but time after time we failed to make any real impact and be successful. Even when we made the World Cup in 2006 do you remember how confident we were and how much trash we talked about trashing Mexico and not only did we lose to Mexico 3-1 but we barely beat Angola.

5. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Mani i hope your right but at this point this is a foolish bid , this could be the begining of your end on Big Soccer.

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran finished top of its group with 3 wins and 3 draws. Its group included two decent Asian sides, namely Bahrain and Qatar. Of our 3 draws, 2 were away from home. The last one was after Iran had already clinched its qualification to the next round.

Iran has flaws for sure, but you are grasping at straws mentioning these results. At most, we dropped the ball against Qatar at home, failing to win that game after a late equalizer by Qatar, in a game which didn't mean as much for us as it did for them.

7. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You can put it in your signature if you want. I don't need reminding for something I proposed myself.

8. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    god, this philipino guy is so annoying. None of his arguements make any sense. Reminds of sahpactloser.

9. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree with this. However, Mani also has a point. Japan and South Korea have also played poorly in this qualification round. However, they are as you traditional powers that consistently get to the WC and in the case of Japan and South Korea, both qualified to teh second round in the last WC...with South Korea nearly making it to the quarterfinals.

If we improve our defense, I think we are in the top tier of Asian football. But right now we are 4/5 behind the traditional 3 in terms of chances of qualifying.

10. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We drew against Angola. 1-1.

11. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Yea I know i meant to say we barely tied , either way we were one of the worse sides in the 2006 World Cup at a time when most if not Iranians were saying we were going to qualify to the round of 16 before the World Cup as we thought we had a strong team but in reality we didnt.

12. Chiwoo

Chiwoo Member

May 14, 2010
    Club:
    Busan I Park
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You had to remember that we beat Lebanon before 6-0 and then lost to them 2-1 due to some technicalities with the penalties in their home game.

13. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Oman!!!

WTF Saudi Arabia you guys are minnows...

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday was a great day in football for me personally... all "my teams" won. USA beat Italy, in Italy.. Uzbekistan, Oman, UAE and Qatar all win - well the latter didn't win but they got the required result... great day!

15. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    lol maybe he is him. he joined around the same time sahbekhampactloser left, and they both support saudi despite being non saudi. he was indian now he is pretending to be filipino. haha.

anyone that says Iran doesnt have at least 5th best chance of qualifying for world cup is high or has a secret agenda.

on paper we are 4rth best and should directly qualify by finishing in 2nd place. we are better than uzbekistan and will probably collect 4 points from them. however, they have closed the gap so its possible to slip up and pull a japan against them. thats why it will be a hard campaign. we also have to get 6 points from the likes of qatar/oman. in 2010 we didnt make it because we lost to saudi and drew against UAE. this could happen again vs uzbekistan and qatar/jordan/lebanon/oman so we have to be careful. i think next round japan, south korea, and australia will not slip up like they did in this round. we are the most likely to slip up out of these teams, but hopefully we wont.

16. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    RI coach lashes out at referee after 10-0 defeat

Indonesian coach Aji Santoso denounced the refereeing of Andre El Haddad on Thursday following his team’s humiliating 10-0 defeat against host Bahrain in the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification match, in which the Lebanese referee awarded Bahrain four penalties against the Indonesian national team.

“We were completely toyed with by the referee,” Aji told tribunnews.com after the match, referring to the fact that his team had to play with 10 men for most of the game following El Haddad’s decision to send off Indonesian goalkeeper Samsidar for a professional foul only three minutes after kick off.

This is not the first time for El Haddad to be mired in controversy for his officiating. The referee was also in the spotlight last year after he officiated the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification third round match between China and Singapore on Sept. 2 in which he was deemed as making several dubious calls in favor of the home side China, which later went on to win the game 2-1.

After the match, Singapore players uttered heavy criticisms against El Haddad, with goalkeeper Lionel Lewis labeling the referee as “robbing” points from the Singapore national team. Captain Shahril Ishak described his decisions in the game as “killing the Singaporean players”.

Despite the humiliating defeat, however, Aji did not point fingers at any single Indonesian player, defending the squad by arguing that the players did not actually deserve the 10-goal margin loss.

“I am proud with the lads’ performance; they have played very well,” Agus said. “I will keep this team. They will continue to train so that they can develop [into better players] in the future.” (sat)

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/03/01/ri-coach-lashes-out-referee-after-10-0-defeat.html

17. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Ministry blames PSSI for woeful Bahrain defeat

Andi Mallarangeng blames the prolonged internal dispute within the Indonesia Soccer Association (PSSI) for Indonesia’s hammering at the hands of Bahrain, when the host defeated the Garuda squad 10-0 in Manama on Wednesday evening.

“There you go. The result is because the PSSI management keeps on fighting each other,” Andi said on Thursday as quoted by tribunnews.com.

Andi said that the association should have put the interests of national soccer above internal conflicts.

“With two domestic competitions, the national team won’t be supported by the best players because some of them play in the other competition [which is not approved by the association],” Andi said.

The chaotic domestic soccer situation has resulted in the formation of two top-tier leagues: the Indonesian Super League (ISL) and the PSSI-approved Indonesian Premier League (IPL). The association has issued a regulation, citing that players who play in the ISL competition cannot join the national squad.

Andi cited reconciliation as a solution to solve the ongoing drama. “The PSSI should recognize the ISL and vice versa,” he said.

“At the end of the year, we can hold a special competition between the winners of both leagues. I think that’s the best solution by far,” he said, “I hope last night’s result opens many people’s eyes.” (swd)

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/03/01/ministry-blames-pssi-woeful-bahrain-defeat.html

18. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Nice to see the Jakarta Post's copy-paste abilities are as sharp as ever.

It bears repeating that Indonesia did not send a youth team, as has been suggested; rather, it was a senior team of younger players (average age 25ish) from the Indonesian Premier League. Its best players -- the ones who took part in the second round against Tajikistan and the first five Group E matches -- were declared ineligible by FIFA after the third round of qualifying had started. That decision meant that the third-tier players in the IPL were the best available.

That's not to excuse the whole mess, of course. Indonesia's football authorities willingly brought all this shame and derision on the country, but they won't see any meaningful backlash because they're already filthy rich and just using the sport for political and monetary gain.

The minimum wage in the better-run, more-popular Super League is $880 per month; run-of-the-mill squad players will make about double that. The best of the best — marketable talents like Safee Sali, Bambang Pamungkas, Boaz Solossa, Firman Utina, etc. — can make up to $30,000 per month. Those kind of contracts are pretty rare, though.

The IPL isn't nearly as organized and lacks high-quality sponsors, so the players in that competition don't make as much.

19. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    LOL. wow. that is lower than minimum wage working in mcdonalds here. so we can say indonesian keeper accepted a bahraini bribe?

20. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20120301/soc-fifa-bahrain-probe/

FIFA to investigate Bahrain's 10-0 World Cup win

ZURICH — FIFA says it will open a "routine" investigation into Bahrain's 10-0 victory over Indonesia in a World Cup qualifying match.

Bahrain's win raised suspicions because it needed to make up a nine-goal deficit on rival Qatar in the group standings to have a chance of advancing to the next round. It also needed Qatar to lose its last match, but the Qataris scored an 83rd-minute equalizer to get a 2-2 draw in Iran on Wednesday and advanced to the next stage of the Asian qualifying tournament ahead of Bahrain.

FIFA says its security department "will conduct a routine examination of this game and its result."

FIFA says the probe is justified by "the unusual outcome against results expectation and head-to-head history, and in the interests of maintaining unequivocal confidence in our game."

21. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    You can say it all you like, but you'd have a hell of a time proving it. Besides, he's the starting goalkeeper on the fifth-best team in Indonesia's second-best league — Gigi Buffon he ain't, even at the best of times.

22. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so we have groupings already?

23. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You mean the pots or the final draw?

24. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Highlights of Ahskan Dejagah's dream debut for Iran. What a player, what a hustler, he is a monster. I strongly believe that we have found our missing link, a talented winger/play-maker who is a ball-getter and has clinical finishing skills.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSiU6KM9s0w"]Ashkan Dejagah vs. Qatar | Debut for Iran - Highlights ????? ????? - YouTube[/ame]

25. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    guess we haven't done final draw. sounds like Iran and ROK in the same pot?