2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying IV [R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Nurafshon, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Thanks to previous thread , we all now can write our brilliant PhD dissertation about the great brotherhood between Iranians and Arabs. :D
    2014 Fifa World Cup qualifying III

continuing talking about 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying No4. :)

2. FCMB

FCMB Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    My popcorn's ready.

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shouldn't we have just made a poll... "Is/Was Bahrain the 5th best team in Asia?"

4. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Dunno why I went with naval metaphors but there you go:

Cruising Along

Jordan, South Korea, Japan, Uzbekistan, Australia, Iran.

Torpedos Away!

Iraq vs China, Kuwait vs Lebanon, Thailand vs Saudi vs Oman, Qatar vs Bahrain.

Sinking Fast

Singapore, UAE, North Korea, Tajikistan, Indonesia.

5. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Was/Is? Everyone would vote yes, cause they clearly were until recently.

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well it doesn't necessarily need to be yes/no... could be... yes, still is/was but not anymore/never was/fluctuated/don't care... lol, probably the latter option would win

7. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    x2

First page, good stuff :D

8. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    How bout a more simple vote to settle the main point of the dispute, who would you rather face in the next round, Iran or Saudi Arabia?

9. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    we should focus on how to reach round of 16. that is our goal. we already know we qualified. the only reason we dont qualify are freak accidents in which we get edged out such as bahrain 2002 and ali daie 2010.

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You dreaming about seamen again? ;)

11. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Way to sink my battleship :(

12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You'll keep. :)

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Pretty accurate description, except right now China (and perhaps Saudi Arabia) would need to be placed in the sinking fast category. China have 3 points; a narrow home win against minnow Singapore. They have 2 losses, away to Jordan and at home to Iraq. They can still rebound but at the moment their chances don't look good.

I would not write off the Saudis yet, but obviously 2 points from 3 games is not a hopeful start for them. Still, their opposition is not stellar either and if I were a betting man, I would still bet on them making it to the next round. But then again, I would have never expected the Saudis to be booted out of the Asian Cup with 3 straight losses, pointless and with a minus 7 goal difference! By that yardstick, the Saudis if anything have improved and are getting better results!

14. YLbowman

YLbowman Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wouldn't put China there yet unless they lose to Iraq again. If they manage to win they'll be in a better position. Same with NK.

15. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I can't see NK displacing Uzbekistan, Uzbeks look good and just bounced them in Pyongyang. I know, by the same logic China is out, but they've got a slightly better chance against Iraq.

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is even if North Korea do win in Tashkent, they're still a point behind Uzbekistan with two games to play, and it could still all be over in the next match, where Uzbekistan is @ home to Tajikistan. If Uzbekistan beat Tajikistan as expected, and North Korea lose their home game vs. Japan, they are out. Even if they win vs. Japan, they are out if Uzbekistan beats Japan... basically not looking good for North Korea. The fate of China and Saudi is still in their own hands, but not so much for North Korea.

17. pomkiatisuk

pomkiatisuk Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Thailand hopeless after draw Saudiarabia 0 :0 . IT'S worst result for myteams .
    because at now Saudiarabia not strength same pass.

at this moment Saudiarabia not different Singapore or Vietnam.
    we'r played in home draw not suitable for us so away games It's interesting so much .

18. pomkiatisuk

pomkiatisuk Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Thai not approved draw with Saudiarabia . we'r played under pressure from 45,000 fanballs in ราชมังคลา stadium .

We'r accepted Chance for next round it's closed .....

19. pomkiatisuk

pomkiatisuk Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Saudiarabia fanballs admired selfteams strong after can draw Big asianteam .

it's best result in 2011 for Saudiarabia before lose many games ... if not count game between Hongkong . Saudiarabia Should had verypoor fifaranking

Oh it's Amezing them can draw Thailand 0:0 great game great result for them.

Fifa 2014 not far for Saudiarabia Welldone.

Thailandteams hopeless for lastest 10 teams in round 4 Goodluck Oman or Saudiarabia

20. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Reportedly Carlos Quieroz is heading to Europe for some recruits. His main targets are reportedly Ashkan Dejagah and Reza Ghoochannejhad. Dejagah plays for German side, Wolfsburg while Ghoochannejhad plays for Saint Truiden in the Belgian pro league.

Hopefully this will cement our weakest link, our inability to find the back of the net.. (bar Bahrain :D)

21. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good. We definitely could use Ashkan! :) My dad was saying that he thinks we can beat even Japan, South Korea, and Australia in our current form. I wasn't so sure but we will see.

22. amrizzle

amrizzle Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Footballistan
    Wow, the latter pages of part III of this thread was generally a continuous load of BS.

Seemingly AFC pages haven't changed since I was last here :p

Anyways, the groups are starting to take shape, I'll jump in with some predo's to make the final round:

Dead Certs:
    Jordan, South Korea, Japan, Uzbekistan, Australia, and Iran.

50/50:
    Iraq & China, Kuwait & Lebanon, Thailand & Saudi, Qatar & Bahrain (my head says Qatar but Bahrain are dirty trolls and their game will be a derby).

Nae chance:
    Singapore, UAE, North Korea, Tajikstan, Oman.

You heard it here first ladies and gents.

As for the people getting carried away with a single result (great as it may have been), these world cup qualifiers are a long road. Consistency and luck play a big part, we all should know this well by now, and that final round likes to bring up a surprise package.

Having said all that, I predict Japan, Australia and South Korea to make it comfortably, Uzbekistan to flop yet again in the final round (why does this always happen?!), and some other team to take Bahrain's troll status and come out of nowhere to take that 5th spot play off...:D

23. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So who will take fourth? If Japan, Australia and SK make it comfortably... I assume it's between Jordan and Iran based on Uzbeckistan flopping again. I don't see the 5th spot playoff doing much to be honest. In my opinion, if you don't directly qualify, you will NOT be in Brazil in 2014.

24. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    That's something I would agree with, and come that match, no matter which team it is, the whole world will be wanting the SA team to make it being an SA world cup.

I must admit, I would like to see Iran get there and see if they can improve of there previous world cups. I still remember 2006 against Mexico(?), that game was for the taking and somehow lost. I'd like to see what they have learnt.

Saying this, that makes me chose Japan, Australia, Korea and Iran, 4 nations we all know about, can't help but feel I want one team the whole world hasn't discovered yet - Jordan maybe.

25. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well it's a SA World Cup but we just had an African World Cup and African countries did poorly (except Ghana). I agree with you...I owuld like to see Japan, Korea, Australia, Iran and China representing Asian sides (however I don't see China qualifying). I just think the fifth best team in SA is heads and shoulders above the fifth best team in Asia. It will be ugly.

The 2006 match was definitely Iran's for the taking. We had a great opportunity in the first half to score a goal but their keeper made a great save on a header. And then we broke down in the second half after a bunch fo stupid mistakes that led to Mexico's second goal.