2014 FIFA WC QLF, AFC: Group B

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Nurafshon, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Indeed. You need to be super unlucky to keep languishing @ the bottom of the group just as anyone with half a brain had predicted. :D

Korea is going to the playoffs when they lose @ Ulsan. I'm sure qatar is going to accommodate uzis and boost their GD.

2. Shenron

Shenron New Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    The Defence really screwed up on that goal. Alaa shouldn't have been sent off.
    Both teams were lacking probably due to the 31C temp and humidity ref gave the players 2 or 3 breaks during the game to drink water. It was clear Vladmir Petrovic needed to make subs at 65 - 70. He made 2 changes at 79 and 85 which was too late first one bringing a defender on and taking a striker off.

Iraq should of tried to keep Zico or at least replace him with someone who isn't a merc. Vladmir Petrovic has been in charge for 5 games Won 1 and lost 4. his only notable jobs are China 07-08 and Serbia 10-11 and was sacked from both. I hope heads roll at IFA especially whoevers idea was to hire Vlad.

We got screwed by FIFA not letting us play at home, instead our "home" games were played in the **** hole qatar. There was more Japanese fans in the stadium than Iraqis.

Younis Mahmoud announced his retirement at the end of the game. Was surprised as he is only 30.

3. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

Yeh sure, that's going to happen o_O

4. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some bad news from South America I guess you could say, Uruguay win in Caracas to move ahead of Venezuela for the 5th spot in CONMEBOL.. still 4 rounds to play but it's looking more and more likely that whoever wins AFC's playoff is going to have to face a very hungry Suarez, Cavani and co. for the intercontinental playoff spot.. that's going to be very tough for defenses like Oman and Jordan...

5. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    :ROFLMAO: His DOB is 1978, so he is probably 34 or 35..

This was our best opportunity to qualify, and we still managed to mess it up. We dropped so many points in the beginning, and we deserved to end it like this. ;)

We have to rebuild now. Bring on good people in the federation who actually want to improve our football, bring on a local coach who cares about the team, and kick out our expired players. They had to retire in 2008.

Team Melli forever repped this.
  6. Shenron

Shenron New Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Iraq was second at one point

What do you mean?

Link? Wiki says 1983.

7. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Do you really believe that a 15 year old boy can be the league topscorer?(1998-1999)
    And besides that, you can clearly see that he is past his 30's.
    And do you know why we were second at a point? Because we had 2 points from Jordan and Oman, and we had a more goals scored than Australia and Oman (2 goals scored).

Iraq is not the team like before. Zico did a very good job in the third round, but the fourth round was a big failure from the beginning on. We screwed up big time. ;)

Petrovic will be sacked. That is a step in the right direction, because he is a very poor coach. Thayer Jassam will most likely be appointed as head coach. And now we have to go further, and go for the Asian Cup :)

8. Shenron

Shenron New Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Everywhere has his year of birth as '83. And wiki doesn't have him as the 98-99 league top scorer. Point was we weren't always bottom like that guy was saying.

9. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    We were third in the group in November until March, when we got the 3 points against Jordan. But does it matter? No, it was just temporary. At the end of the day, we're out of the competition :(

10. Coach2007

Coach2007 Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Rio (Rehab)
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I still remember the Golden days of Iraq back when Ahmad Radhi was at the helm. I believe Iraq just needs time to recoup and further nurture its young players- hopefully they'll be ready for Russia 2018.
    Good luck.

11. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Thank you.

Somehow I'm glad that we didn't make it, because what is point of qualifying if you are struggling against the likes of Oman and Jordan? This saved us from an embarassment.

The only team that will get decent results in the World Cup is Japan. And Australia has the experience to at least represent Asia better than Oman or Jordan. That is why I want them to qualify. :)

Coach2007 repped this.
  12. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I think we failed because of poor preparations, inconsistency, lack of home advantage, and not because of lack of talent (the U-20 players are very good, and will be our foundation for the future)
    This current team had no chemistry at all, and the young players had no experience. Add some mistakes from the defence and the goalkeeper + poor coach and there you have it. Bottom of the group..

I pray that we will finally get a local coach, that FIFA will lift the ban for international competitions, that our European based players will get called up, and that our federation will change.

Good luck for Japan in the Confederations Cup, and the other teams in the upcoming qualifications! :)

13. hoos

hoos Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Australia
    That's one way to put it.

He'll be chomping at the bit, waiting to sink his teeth into the playoffs against Asia's 5th team. It'll be the last bite of the cherry.

14. hoos

hoos Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Australia
    I think it's hard to believe that Iraq are bottom of the group - IMO Jordan are easily the weakest team in the group based on their goal difference, which usually paints a better picture for a team's quality.

I know, I know, they have more points than Iraq, but there is no way the Iraqis would give in and lose 4-0 or 6-0 like Jordan did. After Australia scored the second goal in Melbourne, Jordan just totally gave up and shamefully dropped their heads. And they call them The Braves. Only at home it seems.

I think Jordan simply surprised Australia and Japan on their home turf, while Iraq didn't have a true home match. Expecting a very difficult match on Tuesday against a team that has nothing to lose and now have the freedom to express themselves.

15. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I am sorry. Korea won't lose. Good luck against Uruguay.

16. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I agree with you. We had a huge disadvantage because we couldn't play at home thanks to FIFA.
    For me personally that's the biggest disappointment. That we couldn't even make it to the play-offs in such an 'easy' group. We are better than Jordan and Oman and at least equal to Australia in my opinion.

Good luck for Australia. I hope that you'll make it :)

17. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Split, Croatia
    Nice brave game from this very youthful Iraqi side, only 3 players older than 22. Didn't come to just kick the ball forward, they made some nice passes, just the last one as usually lacked.

Australia must improve for, I don't know, 300 % if they are to make anything at te WC.

Deathstar and Nurafshon repped this.
  18. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    My Congratulations to Aussies. Good Luck in Brazil:)

19. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iraq overperformed today. My God, they were amazing. Too bad they are going to change managers again, but they put the Roos on their heels.

20. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well done to Iraq for making a good game of it. We deserved to win on balance of play (just) but FMD we have a lot of work to do not to be embarrassed in Brazil

Deathstar repped this.
  21. 007GS

007GS Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Painful and borderline unacceptable, but we got over the line.

22. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I was preying for a draw. I just feel that we have gone all the way back to 2010 again and we have the same old same old. Credit to Australia though, they've had a rough ride but done it.

Jordan - Oman now. Like to see a winner takes all and not Oman play for a draw. But why would they? There game plan before Aus/Iraq would have been to win so why play to draw now.

I think Oman has a better chance of getting through playoffs than Jordan, Jordan do tend to crumble when they play a big team is my thinking on this.

23. Deathstar

Deathstar Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Syd Er Knee
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't think that FIFA has any choice sadly. As this game was underway bombs in Baghdad killed 31 and injured many more.

However the Iraqi nation has a team to be proud of and based on tonight's efforts and likely a good showing in the Youth Cup they will build to be a real threat to the other countries in the AFC in 2018 and beyond.

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Congrats to Iraq, once again they have been extremely hard to beat. How many games this round have they lost by only a goal?

But well done to our boys, they got there in the end. We've got a year to blood the youth and see if any are good enough to displace the day's army members.

Well done boys! :)

25. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Congrats Iran and South Korea for qualification. Hopefully, Uzbekistan makes it to the World Cup too.