2014 Boston Red Sox

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Haole, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teetering on the edge: Jackie Jr. is at .205.......oh hell!

[​IMG]

2. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Red Sox, Drew Agree for Rest of 2014 - ESPN
    http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/10959122/boston-red-sox-re-sign-shortstop-stephen-drew

3. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drew for another run at SS? Wow, was Boras on vacation. 1-yr? Whatever.

Some of this I'm with:

"They aren't giving up on Xander Bogaerts people. Jesus, really? Manny Machado is a SS playing 3B and they plan on moving him back to SS after they are done with JJ Hardy. If it makes the team better this year, fine. I want X at SS as much as the rest of you and I don't like the move because it's going to take away valuable game reps from him. But, it does make the team better in the short-term and you can't lose sight of that. Do you people want WMB/Holt/Herrera and Bogaerts or Drew and Bogaerts?" - SOSH/RedOctober3829

And this:

"People are getting really fired up about a guy who ranked top 10 in OPS at his position and has a pretty good glove. Are we going to get pissed if he makes good throws to first and we start winning games.

Maybe he's a good clubhouse guy" -SOSH/Hambone

4. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The '13 LoveFest is fading into June oblivion.

This from ToeKneeArmAss [​IMG]:

"How long can they continue to undermine the Red Sox' slim hopes of winning ballgames by trotting AJP out there? His offense is the very definition of replacement level, but he makes up for it by being a shitty game-caller, a fidgetty, stabby catcher who costs his pitchers countless strikes and drops balls when it matters most (not that he's capable of throwing anyone out, mind you), and is absolutely lead-footed on the basepaths. How many other ML players get thrown out by 15 ft. on the Victorino bunt? Who in the entire cosmic viewing audience didn't know that Jennings was going to waltz into second, pitchout or not? What possible positive contribution does he make beyond bumping John Lackey into second place on the list of most dislikeable current Red Sox players? Must be his leadership and impact on clubhouse camaraderie and esprit de corps. [​IMG]

Absolutely anyone would be an improvement. Cut your losses and move on. Surely you could pry someone like Gerald Laird or Ryan Doumit off someone's bench with some trinket in the farm system somewhere.

Make it stop. #DFA_AJP"

The AJ deal is going down in flames. I would like to see a 40 yd. speed check betw. Messrs. Pierzinski and A.Dunn. Yankee-fan sister-in-law frankly horrified how Dunn clubs a walk-off agst. Yankess and routinely obstructs runners at first due to a 290# Mack-truck build that has acceleration probs.

5. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #30 Haole, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    Sideshows emerging and bail-out plans are being made. Dark Tunnel with traffic and the summer's just starting.

The Andre Ethier/Joc Pederson trade rumours are running again. Ethier is better than anyone currently rolling around in the OF and might be the realistic grab here. Joc Pederson? Eh, Dodgers are way high on this kid as he continues to tear it up in AAA. He's not going to come cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joc_Pederson

[​IMG]

"Agreed, 100%. I know it never happens, but I would give up Lester + Koji for JocP once we are out of it. Lester & Koji are FAs after this year and could be re-signed while Joc has 6 years of control coming. Ethier is mediocre and he's now 32, no thanks." -

Hee Sox Choi/SOSH[​IMG]

My guess is that the Dodgers will need bullpen help, sooner than later. Kenley Jansen and Brian Wilson are shaky. Uehara might be what they need to sort things out.

6. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #31 Haole, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    It's only Memorial Day but.....

Jackie Jr. for May:

SPLITS....................AB...R...H...2B...3B...HR...RBI...BB....AVG

May...................64...8...9...3....0.....0.....2....5........141

Jacoby w. Yankees:

SPLITS....................AB...R.......H...2B....3B......HR...RBI...BB....AVG

May...................85...10...17....3.....0......2.....6.....10.....200

JBJ in complete freefall and checking for an apt. in Pawtuckett. Ells? Just Wow, is he flat now or what?

7. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha-ha, Price comes out head-hunting.....:) We got some balling going on this weekend.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11011814

Papi breaking out a six-pack of whuup-ass:

[​IMG]It's on. Next time I see him, he better put his gloves on. I have no respect for him anymore.

”-- David Ortiz on David Price

8. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muddle Report:

"Collectively, the Sox outfield is batting .214, the lowest average in baseball among big league outfields and the lowest for the Sox in the 60-plus years that Baseball-Reference.com can track such things. And help isn’t exactly just over the horizon.

The guess here is they’ll try to muddle along for the time being, hoping that Victorino can stay healthy, praying that Bradley will start to hit and employing some rotating version of Gomes, Sizemore and Holt in left field. It’s not a formula for winning; it remains to be seen whether it qualifies as a way to survive."

I'm with Edes on most of this: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/37549/issues-in-the-outfield-arent-improving

When shifting into 'survival mode' one can only hope the rest of the division tanks and, yea, I think that's the only silver lining here.

9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston Globe Sports
    @BGlobeSports
    3h
    Fenway Sports Group, owner of the Red Sox and Liverpool, is adding LeBron James as a partner, and has approved a deal that will jump-start a plan to acquire more teams. https://trib.al/GGvu0mG

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Yankees and Red Sox lose today while the Mariners and Blue Jays win, there will be a 4-way tie for the last two playoff spots in the AL.