2013 USLPRO Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by VioletCrown, Feb 13, 2013.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're just a little over one month away from the start of the USLPRO season, so it seems like a good time to set up an attendance thread for this year. Here's my final numbers from last year:

Code:
    Final Numbers
    Year     Avg    Median    %<1K    %>3k
    2005    1680     1457    21.4%   11.9%
    2006    1803     1703    14.1%   11.8%
    2007    1575     1423    28.1%    6.3%
    2008    1614     1629    26.0%    7.3%
    2009    1602     1518    31.8%    7.1%
    2010    1689     1385    35.1%   17.5%
    2011    2230     1424    34.7%   31.3%
    2012    2688     1623    33.6%   37.5%

Median-33%: 1082
    Median+33%: 2164
    <MED-33%: 50 / 39.1%
    >MED+33%: 56 / 43.8%

Code:
                 Avg    2011 Avg
    Orlando     6604    5415
    Rochester   6268    5137
    Wilmington  4265    4053
    Charleston  3947    3501
    Richmond    2379    1986
    Harrisburg  1452    1406
    Pittsburgh   984    1127
    Charlotte    819    1022
    Antigua      818    1189
    Dayton       725     661
    Los Angeles  666     440

My plan for this year is to NOT include the games that are played at the MLS Reserve teams' stadium. Since it's just a single game at each venue, I don't think it would be a meaningful number. My bet is that this should match any end-of-season report that the USLPRO publishes.

The USL can claim that they haven't lost any teams from last year, but with Antigua playing an entirely-road schedule, there's still a change. In theory, for the better, since that takes one poor performer out of the calculation. We have two new teams this season in Tampa Bay (who still have yet to announce a stadium, as far as I can tell) and Phoenix. It will be interesting to see how VSI does in comparison to the NASL Rowdies.

Lots of other questions to be answered this season. Will the Blues improve to a point where they'll survive? Will Pittsburgh's new stadium improve things there? Can USLPRO pull off a fourth straight increase in average attendance?

Not much longer now before we start to get some answers.

brentgoulet and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think Phoenix will be around the league average. VSI has a big hill to climb if htey are going to make a mark this year.

Pittsburgh will definately improve with there new stadium and better location.

Charlotte should improve as well with their new location. that said Im not really sure how much the new place sits the photos dont look that big.

the rest I see being about the same. I really want LA to improve as now it seems like the west coast is starting to get some momentum but it doesn't look good.

look forward to following your reports

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antigua I believe is circling the drain. I wouldn't be surprised if they were gone after this season, unless they decide it's still worth it in hopes of trying for the 2018 World Cup. Obviously that won't have any bearing at all on these numbers (and that's most likely not a bad thing).

Has LA Blues done anything to warrant any tangible improvement this year? How about Charlotte?

I think the biggest story will be how Pittsburgh fleshes out with their new stadium. I agree with Mikey that there ought to be a big improvement. I'm seeing if I can make Orlando City's game up there this season. (I was hoping for a slightly different weekend though. Oh well...)​

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a number of hopeful signs in USLPro.

First, Pittsburgh's new stadium is a thing of beauty, and it's location is a huge improvement. I expect their attendance to be way up.

Phoenix look like they have a good plan, but I think their tickets are rather over priced. We'll keep an eye on that.

Harrisburg look like they are trying to make some improvements for their 10th anniversary season, so we might well see an uptick in attendance there.

VSI could be a total cluster#$%^. It's hard to say. Then again, they have money and might be able to pull it out. Here's hoping.

Will Orlando, Rochester, and Wilmington be able to grow their attendance? Even a little? That will make a big difference, either way.

The Blues have hired a new GM and a new Head Coach. So that shows that they are spending money, and showing some signs of life. But they need to triple their attendance, at least. Not optimistic there, but maybe they can get some media love going, and do some more marketing, and get some more butts in their seats.

Charlotte moving to a new stadium might be good, or it might just be status quo.

Hoping for the best here, but not certain at all.

- Mark

5. Azkals

Azkals New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    3500 * .6 = 2100
    So they've already sold double the amount they sold last season

6. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    if you build it they will come

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, one question, already answered! Cool! A little annoying that they're switching to black and gold. Then again, that's the colors of all the other Pittsburgh sports teams (which I never realized before), so, hey, I'm not quite as annoyed as I usually am by identity changes.

8. cheguevara04

cheguevara04 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Orlando will grow again this season. Expect 8k plus from OCSC...

9. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    With all the lastest news about a new investor and stadium and MLS, I can see a jump in attendance but I don't think it will that much. Maybe somewhere around 7500, give or take a few 100.

If it is +8k I will be pleastanly surprised.

10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The increase last year was about 1200, to 6600. I'd like to see it increase at least as much, though higher would not surprise me given the red-hot hype around town.

My own guess will be 7800.

11. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando and Rochester sit on top and I believe they are also the biggest spenders. LA sits at the bottom and have the most local competition from professional and college sports. Does anyone think there may be some correlation there?

Phoenix FC is spending some money and definitely making an effort but it's a tough market with lots of competition and a fickle fan base.

Ticket pricing structure may set them back some. We supporters have been trying to point this out to them for weeks now but they refuse to listen to us. It will be interesting to see how the club performs.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the opposite of "encouraging?"

Plus, checking the season ticket sales website, it appears as though they've sold fewer than 400 season tickets with three weeks to go before the first game.

13. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    At least they have a stadium to sell tickets in, unlike the other newbies.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some folks don't think that's a big deal.

:D

15. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6,877 for Orlando City last night. The supporter end was REALLY rocking. There were about 40 from Ralph's Mob; we seated them in one of the usually-unused north end corners.

There were definitely more there last night than there are right now as I type for Chivas USA.

16. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... That happened.

LA Blues crowd was as lively as ever. Not wholly unexpected, but no attendance estimate immediately in the match report.

Really, if Chivas USA is being outdrawn by Orlando City, what makes us think the Blues will improve much?

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not believe anyone ACTUALLY believes they will improve.

And if they do, point and laugh at them.

The Blues seem to believe that people either just find their way to stadiums or do not.

It would be very difficult to actually TRY to sell tickets and do as badly as the Blues do.

[​IMG]

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would require them to sell basically every seat they have. Their stadium configuration is now much smaller than it was supposed to be.

USL media guide says 600, which I hope is a typo.

19. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do we find the USL Media guide? Yeah I know, not in the media but its PDF isn't it? They are not trying to limit its distribution are they? Look forward to seeing Phoenix vs VSI Tampa next weekend. You think 600 at the game?

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By my count, almost 1,100 tickets were spoken for as of the other day.

But now the place only seats a little under 2,300. Instead of the 5,000 they said it was going to seat.

22. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. The media is finally covering everything our team here in Orlando does. Like they have done for Areana Football, NBA and ECHL in the past. I think/hope that will increase our attendance. Only 6 of 14 home games on Saturday doesn't help. Wish we had the NASL every Saturday schedule.

23. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1436 ...What? Everyone was clearly on the camera side!;)

brentgoulet repped this.
  24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just think, they only have three more home games in the next 16 days!

25. leftout1

leftout1 Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You just need to look harder as many of them came dressed as red seats.....