2013 FIFA Confederations Cup: Elimination Rounds [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You're probably right!

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was talking about present form, that should have been clear.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The reprehensible lack of any sportsmanship on the part of certain supporters of Spain in this thread reminds me of an online chat I had on Yahoo Sports following the 2006 World Cup.

When I identified myself as a Brazilian, an Argentine began to talk trash, saying that Brazil couldn't pass as well as Argentina did, and he highlighted the match vs. Serbia and Montenegro which Argentina won 6-1 and during which it showed passing ability.

I reminded him that in the 4-1 win Brazil had against Argentina in the 2005 Confederations Cup final (and some of Brazil's goals resulted from outstanding passing), we had shown how well we passed the football.

He replied by saying that it was a "copita de mi3rda" and that therefore the passing skills Brazil exhibited as it went up 4-0 before Aimar scored one goal for his team were meaningless. But I wonder if that Argentine fan (possibly a teenager, from the way he wrote) would have said the same had it been his team that defeated Brazil 4-1 in the 2005 Confederations Cup final by showing passing similar to the passing it showed 1 year later against Serbia and Montenegro.

(I only wish I had encountered that person again on the same chat room at the end of the 2007 Copa América or late on the evening of September 5, 2009.)

It is precisely this type of irrational and unintelligent thinking that some Spain supporters are showing, and it not only reveals their intellect (or lack thereof), but also their character.

In Brazil, we say "tem que saber ganhar mas tem que saber perder também" (one must know how to win but one must also know how to lose).

Those who have always lost and suddenly begin to win don't know how to win - graciously. It's understandable.

arun10 and Hendrixforpope repped this.
  4. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

A lot of them are Johnny come lately bandwagon fans and arent used to the success. The act like you been there before saying doesnt fit them because they havent been there.

[]__[]

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    It's as dominant as Brazil 1994-2002? as Dominant as France 1992-2003? because those were very recent stretches of dominance but we're already forgetting about them.

6. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    for Spain to equal Brazil dominant run it need to reach 3 straight WC finals and win two of those 3

good luck with that shit :D

7. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    The Fifa world cup came in exactly to attempt and substitute the Olympics as the way to measure who is the world wide winner of the Sport, that's why a lot of people (including FIFA) counts Uruguay as a 4 time World Champion and 2 time World Cup Champion.
    I don't get the disrespect Mexico, Asian, African and other S.A. nations outside of Brazil and Argentina get when compared to european teams. Asia and Africa have not been push overs since the late 1990s

8. wigglesworth

wigglesworth Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Livorno Calcio

Italy, Spain, Brazil maybe Germany and Holland and probably France would do a job on any good CL contender. Note: Germany is not that good, when push comes to shove and they play an elite team, like Italy, they lose.

9. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Man for man, both Barcelona and Bayern Munich are clearly better than any of the national teams you listed. Real Madrid and a few other clubs could definitely take any of those teams too.

Loddar repped this.
  10. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Right....In real tournament Brazil would have beaten Spain 6-0

Hendrixforpope repped this.
  11. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Since the euro is more difficult to win than the world cup, and considering the last 2 had all european finalists, it's been matched.

12. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's certainly an opinion. The Euro has stronger group stages but the World Cup has an extra knockout round. That's one more chance you have of getting eliminated.

You don't get Greeces and Denmarks winning the World Cup.

Pipiolo and Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Belgium has 19 out of a possible 21 points as well.

14. rkleemann

rkleemann Member

Oct 28, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    My goodness why are europeans such snobs? You're talking about diminishing others, yet this kind of statement is so discriminatory

How can you be so sure that eurocup is even stronger than a copa america let alone a WC? That's ridiculous. You cant look at it only from the strength of the squads, you have to look at the tournament conditions as well

I am not making any claims one way or another but europeans are so quick to consider themselves so much better without really thinking things through and giving any credit to other national teams. Come and play in places like La Bombonera, Defensores del Chaco, play in 10,000+ ft altitude, etc.

Again dont go around singing the victory song before you even show up to the match and let's show a little respect

15. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How many WC/Euro's did France win in that time period? Plus, that's an 11 year time period - Spain's is only 5 full years (going on 6). We have to see what they do at the World Cup and then at the next Euro. Also, Brazil 1994 and Brazil 2002 had completely different core players. Not a single player from the 1994 team started in the 2002 final. You can't compare that with Spain which has had essentially the same core for 3 straight major cups.

16. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Werent Ronaldo and Cafu on the 94 squad?

17. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ronaldo never played in the tournament. Cafu was subbed on at the end of the final. I don't know how much he played throughout the tournament. I should have specified starting in the 1994 final vs. starting in the 2002 final.

18. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Cafu only played the last game as a sub for Jorginho in 94. Ronaldo never started but was on the squad.

19. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHABHAHAHABABABABBAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Euro is so hard that teams like Greece won it... Ohhh wait don't tell me your argument, i know i know The rest of Europe didn't care about that specific tournament just like Spain didn't care in the confederations final against Brazil
    Right?
    Hahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahaha

JAIME CHILE, Auriaprottu and Pipiolo repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    List of European countries to have won the Euro Cup - Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Denmark, Greece

List of European countries to have won the World Cup - Spain, Italy, Germany, France, England (under dubious circumstances at home)

:whistling:

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

LOL, I'm enjoying your trash-talking today :D

elviejomen repped this.
  22. wigglesworth

wigglesworth Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Livorno Calcio

To your first comment, I have forgotten more about football than you will ever learn.

Again, the national teams of the big countries I mentioned, after a serious (long) period of training together, would be superior to any top CL club.

Pipiolo repped this.
  23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Have to agree with this. In fact, Argentina with one month's continuous preparation, as for a World Cup, would beat any of the top club sides in the world: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid, ManU, etc.

24. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In what way?

25. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    they would probably (on average) love playing for the shirt more....but thats about it

surely if your bringing together top talent from around the world you would end with a better product that just picking talent from one country