2013 FIFA Confederations Cup: Elimination Rounds [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]
    15 - 30 June

Tournament Home on FIFA.com

Semi-finals:
    26/06 Brazil - Uruguay
    27/07 Spain - Italy

Final/Third Place
    30/06 Brazil - Spain
    30/06 Uruguay - Italy

Mod Note: Keep it civil.

2. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    So who do you guys think is the player of the tournament so far???? For me, it's Iniesta

3. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My god did u say iniesta? Its neymarrrrrrrrrr

4. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Neymar? Iniesta? pffft, it's obviously Torres

5. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neymar, Pirlo, Iniesta, Forlan... it's too early to tell.

6. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
  7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Way too early. Basically the winning team will determine the player of the tournament. You don't get that honor just by schooling Japan and Mexico...

8. Victor36

Victor36 New Member

Jun 24, 2013
    United States
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd go with neymar
    this whole tournament has revolved around him

9. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The real Confederations Cup starts now.

10. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What happened to Fabio Grosso´s thread about brazilian crowds being a disaster? I would like to read his comments. The thread is being redirected to the Confeds Cup Group Stage thread, but I can´t find the post there.

11. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tournament pretty much gone to form so far. Thought Mexico might show up and give Italy a run for 2nd place, but Chepo is clueless. Anyway, Balotelli being out is really going to hurt any chance Italy had of beating Spain. Don't give Uruguay much of a shot at Brazil as like Mexico their WCQ form isn't an anomaly.

Brazil - Spain should be great. Give Brazil a slight edge due to home crowd.

As for player of tournament it has to be Neymar at this point and by a wide margin. Can't believe Torres is likely to get Golden Boot - they really should factor out goals versus Tahiti.

Really enjoyed the tournament so far. Some quality goals

http://www.youtube.com/embed/uDPctyg_c1o

12. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

meaning there are only 3 real games in the tournament? :) (not counting 3rd place dispute)

13. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

1 - arent you putting the cart in front of the oxen here? First, Brazil has to beat Uruguay and Spain has to beat Italy.

Unlike the Spaniards and a few others here, who have decided to already handle the Confeds Cup trophy AND the 2014 trophy to Spain, we brazilians think nothing is won until the games have been played.

2 - Brazil has home crowd support, but the spanish team is quite cold, not to be very influenced by it (although the brazilian team will be influenced). However, Spain gain in other areas, like the fact they have been playing together, with the SAME system, for a number of years already, while Brazil is between generations and STILL FORMING the team, with recent coaches and players changes.

FiveXChampion repped this.
  14. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Of course anything can happen, but I don't think so.

Spain is still better than Italy and without Balotelli and I believe Pirlo will back from injury but is he 100%? Spain are a big favorite. As for Uruguay if you read my previous post not sure why they have fallen since 2010, but their WCQ results and play in this tournament tell me they won't be much of a problem for Brazil.

15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, any time Spain is in the tournament, they have to be favorites. And they have to be heavy favorites over Italy w/out Balotelli and considering they beat them 4-0 in the European final.

I make Brazil a favorite to beat Uruguay, but less so than Spain/Italy. Uruguay's form hasn't been great in WCQ, but remember they had to play a PO game to get into South Africa as well, and then went on to make the SFs and win Copa America. Yes, the defense is a bit older and slower, and Forlan is not the player he was 3 years ago. But still, a team that can run Forlan, Suarez, and Cavani out there is always a threat. Plus the ghosts of 1950 still linger, I think.

I expect Brazil-Spain, but wouldn't be shocked if it's Uruguay instead. I would be real surprised if Italy makes it to the final.

In either case, I think Spain will win it, though the lack of an in form CF is troubling.

16. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

they are ALWAYS a problem... specially because they never give up.

furthermore, even if on paper a team is better, and on results, football is wonderful because is unpredictable. Brazil can have a bad day and lose to Uruguay, even Spain can have a bad day and lose to Italy without Pirlo.

17. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Actually Torres has been great.. once again.. for Spain, Just like the Euro.. when he came in all he did was score goals and give out assists...

But let's make all kinds of excuses for him doing well.. they are all tired in the second half, the game was already over.. etc.. etc... etc..

19. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's post #1002 in that thread:

20. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I don't think so, Japan and Mexico had as much of a chance of getting out of group stages as Italy and Brazil. The only team which had no shot I think it's Tahiti.

Best game was Italy vs Japan, followed by Italy vs Brazil and I don't think you'll get better games for the rest of the cup.

21. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    It gets glaringly obvious that one markets not so much the best but what belongs to you.

Before Neymar's announcement to Barcelona, the European press has been calling him overrated, worthless, etc.

After a mere three matches (official tournament but just three matches) and two goals, now everyone is saying it is because of the "Barca effect" (sounds like a lot of bullshit. He is technically incribed as a player of Santos for the tournament).

Only in Brazil is the Neymar/Barca gap not eaten entirely and they gave plenty of coverage to the man that keeps putting it away (Fred).

Everyone else (Marca, Sun, Gazetta, etc) just keeps providing proof that they shouldn't be viewed objectively in the case of marketting players outside of Europe and especially from within.

puertorricane repped this.
  22. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I like Uruguay a lot they can give brasil troubles but it all depends on Cavani. If he can raise the level of his game which has been dissapointing so far then they can win it.

Spain should easily beat Italy who will be missing their best player so far in the tournament in Balotelli.

Expect brasil to narrowly win vs uruguay with a 3-2 win and Spain wins it going away vs italy 4-0.

[]__[]

23. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    2010 Uruguay is kind of the same team, just getting lucky bounces their way.. You can only deal with Lucky for so long, better teams will always be better on long run things such as the WCQ.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not really. The favorites are called "favorites" for a reason - > They are more likely to advance to the semis than the rest. Although most of the games have been fun to watch, at no point did it really look like Nigeria, Mexico or Japan would advance.

25. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Haha, did you watch the Spain match. They gave up before it started. Embarrassing performance. At least Nigeria tried to go forward. Sitting back and defending almost never works. With Suarez, Cavani and Forlan it was incredible they played that way.