2013 CWC: Raja Casablanca - Atlético Mineiro (Semifinal #2) [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #1 Nico Limmat, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Date: 18.12.2013 (19:30 Marrakech)
    TV Coverage / Convert Time Zone [​IMG]

Raja Casablanca, the struggling host team without a coach just before the tournament, suddenly find themselves in a semifinal encounter against South American champions Atlético Mineiro. As the tournament venue changes to the city of Marrakech Raja will attempt their best "TP Mazembe" impersonation to reach the final.

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    How Atlético Mineiro got here...

CONMEBOL Copa Libertadores

Club Honours:

- 1 Brazilian League Title
    - 1 CONMEBOL Copa Libertadores Title

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Didn't realize that O Galo (i.e. The Rooster, as they are known in Brazil) only won the Brazilian league once - back in 1971. So apparently 10,000 CAM fans are making the trip to Marrakech, should be a great atmosphere with the Raja supporters - the Vox Populi (Latin: 'Voice of the People). Maybe one of the best in the CWC yet.

Raja will definitely need all the support they can get from the stands. It was a tiring match with extra time against Monterrey and I'm sure the full focus right now is on recovery. A similar performance will be needed to stand a chance against Atlético Mineiro. Maybe they can call up a witch doctor in Lubumbashi.

(sorry SC Internacional fans, until it gets someone else this will keep coming up :D)

In case you're wondering, the Almighty Mazembe hasn't had a very good year. They failed to reach the CAF Champions League group stage and then failed to win the CAF Confederation Cup, the African version of the Europa League.

4. Galo Vingador

Galo Vingador Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Belo Horizonte
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    Monterrey dissapointed me. And I still can't see Raja being the new Mazembe (Guangzhou has a better chance against Bayern IMO), although the home advantage might come in hand for them.

PS: We had 10k supporters confirmed a week ago. Considering all the late travellers, I think Galo might pull up to 15k supporters to the games.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Can't say I agree. Guangzhou may be a better side than Raja but the gap between them and Bayern is significantly larger than Raja to Atletico Mineiro - at least in my opinion. How have Galo been playing anyway recently?

6. Galo Vingador

Galo Vingador Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Belo Horizonte
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    From what I've seen, Guangzhou is far superior to Raja, at least technically.
    My point is that Galo is not that far behind Bayern either. They may be favorites, but I don't see the tournament as a walk in the park to them. I might be wrong, tho.

Galo is playing average, but still managed to nearly finish the Brasileirão in the top 5. We are basically practicing to the CWC ever since we won the Libertadores (as you might know, the CWC is held to the highest level in Brazil and treated as such, with most of brazilian teams basically "letting go" of the national league after winning Libertadores). Multiple injuries and constant changes in the squad held us from getting a better position in the Brasileirão, but now with the full squad I believe we might play up to our full potential.

The absence of Bernard is a matter of concern, tho.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agora um atleticano aparece por aqui....

All I ask of Atletico-MG is not to pull a "Santos-Barca" on us.

8. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Exactly. If you are going to lose to Bayern, do it as Grêmio did against Ajax, which at the time was considered one of the best teams ever and had like half the dutch national squad.

Lose on penalties, and ONLY BECAUSE you played half the game one man down.

Otherwise you can win it. But don´t go fooling around and losing by a large margin. That´s a disgrace, even if it´s against this Bayer Munchen side.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    All that may be true about putting more priority on Copa Libertadores than the Brasileirão, but the thing is that Atleti were just not that impressive in the Copa Libertadores either. Of course, we are talking about champions here, but as far as champions go this was one of the least impressive Copa Libertadores champions in recent memory: Two penalty shootout wins plus one win on away-goals rule. And as you say, now they are without one of their best players in Bernard.

All in all, this is set-up to be an ugly tournament for everyone not named "Bayern Munchen". :cool:

10. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Better a Santos-Barcelona than an Inter-Mazembe. ;)

11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Their knockout stage performances were best against (of all opponents) my team in the round of 16. But in the first round Atl.-MG was impressive. And to score the goal that gave them the PK against Olimpia, against all odds, in the waning minutes of the 2nd half of the return match, was something mediocre/average teams just don't do.

Besides, yours is a team who won 2 Libertadores on PK shootouts. If the argument is made that Newell's and/or Olimpia could've won those PK shootouts, the argument can also be made that Palmeiras in 2000 and in 2001 and Cruz Azul in 2001 could've won their respective PK shootouts. You of all people should recognize that winning PK shootouts is not necessarily evidence of not being championship caliber.

12. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    This coming from a barcelona fan. Ironic. By the way does december 17 ring a bell? Inter 1 x 0 barcelona.

And i disagree Inter lost to mazembe in a game dominated by Inter. It happens. Santos though was humiliated by barča.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, I'm not saying they were mediocre. Just pointing-out that they are probably the least convincing CL champion in recent memory. It's one thing to win a final on PKs, but they got through the last 3 rounds on PKs or away-goals*. All while playing weaker opposition than Boca did in 2000 and 2001.

*Including the semifinal against NOB where the AM 'keeper was blatantly cheating in the PK shootout.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    That's merely your opinion built on nothing more than speculation. Would you say Once Caldas was a more convincing Libertadores champion given its very defensive style and its PK shootout win over your team?

They won the final on PKs. Who cares how Atl.-MG got there?

Unless you're willing to admit (which you aren't) that a 1990 PK shootout win for your country against Germany (which is all your team was going for) after 2 PK shootouts earlier on would've taken away the luster of what would've been a 3rd World Cup title for your country.

Funny you'd say that the champion of your country's league in 2013, and one of the best teams your country has produced in years, was "weak" opposition, or that Olimpia of Paraguay, one of the tougher teams this year, was "weak." You do recall Olimpia defeated Newell's 4-1 in this year's Libertadores.

The typical "you played against nobody" line which is so common from the likes of you (fans of your team, not people of your country).

You as a Boca fan have no right to mention "cheating" given the absolutely scandalous referring calls that favored your team against Corinthians.

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Olha quem chegou....

celito and unclesox repped this.
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It's based on the fact that in 3 out of the 4 knockout rounds they did not outscore the opposition.

Bayern was also more convincing in 2013 compared to Chelsea in 2012. Just because they're both champions, doesn't mean one can't be less convincing than the other.

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I suppose that is were we differ in opinion. This Bayern side could potentially dominate European football for a few years. The gap was considerably smaller last year between Corinthians and Chelsea.

But that is future talk, right now you have to worry about not being "mazembed" :D

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree and I follow Brazilian football. I don't blame Galo Vingador for being positive though.

To say Galo went through the motions and sleepwalked their way to a top 8 finish in the league is crazy. You can't do that for 3-4 months and simply "turn" the switch back on in December. The kind of form they have demonstrated lately should be accounted for. Having R10 does help, though.

As far as their Libertadores campaign, they were still arguably the better team in the competition overall. I do agree that their performances dipped later in the tournament and they counted on a certain degree of luck to win. Their group stage performances were sensational and in the knockout stages, they started to struggle and did just enough to get by.

Bayern definitely have to be aware of the threats that Galo does possess. However, Bayern is much better than Galo and that's not a knock on them as Bayern are much better than many European teams.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Last match I saw by Atletico, not impressed. Far below the team that won the Libertadores, They couldn't beat Vitoria at home, a newly promoted team, doing fairly well in the Brasilerao but still, you'd expect Atletico to beat them if they were in form. They tied with a last minute penalty, so barely saved themselves from the humiliation of losing at home. Dinho is still their best player though, although he disappears for long periods of time.

20. Galo Vingador

Galo Vingador Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Belo Horizonte
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    Well, as I said earlier, it's pretty clear that Bayern are the clear favorites in this tournament. They're among the best teams in the world, if not THE best. Being defeated by them, if that happens, will be no reason for embarrassment.

My point is: it's only one game, so you might pull an upset. And, unlike Guangzhou, Galo has plenty of talent in order to do so. Talentwise, it's a much better of a team than last year's Corinthians, as well.

And yes, the "sleepwalking" in the past few months may become a problem, as you can't just "turn on" for a couple of games. But anyone familiar to brazilian football knows that this is the norm for Libertadores winners. Including Sao Paulo 2005, Inter 2006 and even Corinthians 2012.

Anyway, it's all still based on speculation.

We will get a better view on what Galo is capable of tomorrow.

21. Galo Vingador

Galo Vingador Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Belo Horizonte
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    And it's impossible to ask full focus on the Brasileirão AND THEN on the CWC. At least not under the current calendar. No team ever did, no team ever will.

So I think you should disregard what you saw against Vitória. That was nothing more than a training session against a very focused and competent Vitória side.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Although I don't expect Altetico to beat Bayern, this is something people don't get about Brazilian football. A game against Vitoria in the Brasileirao is not representative of how well it can do in the CWC. You cannot draw conclusions from such games as you can in Europe.

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agreed. Santos is probably a better example than Corinthians though.
    They don't need to go full out for the entirety of the Brasileirão, but they need to make sure to get in a rhythm before the tournament comes up. It's normal to have a "cochilada" after winning the Libertadores but you want to focus on your performances sometime in November.

I agree that one game against a solid Vitoria side shouldn't be basis for how Galo is doing. Vitoria was going all out because they had a chance for the Libertadores. It was R10's first game back and prior to that, Galo was heavily dependent on Tardelli and Fernandinho.

Galo will have to hope to work any kinks out against Raja. Jo seems to do well in tournament play (Libertadores and Confed Cup). Galo will need the Libertadores Jo to have a shot.

24. Galo Vingador

Galo Vingador Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Belo Horizonte
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    My point, exactly. Why would Galo put any effort (and risk having injuries) in a game with zero importance to the season? Vitória had something worth fighting for. Galo was just tweaking it's beak. ;)

Exactly. I think it's actually good to have a motivated opponent in our last game prior to the final. We need all the practice we can get.

25. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 YankBastard, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    This is the goalie Atlético Mineiro will face.