2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup: July 7th - 28th

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by JohnnyFutbol, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll pay more, I will offer 10,000,000 Zimbabwe Dollars.

2. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Didnt read ur post at all lol

Dos uno.

3. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Fixed.

Samora and MetroChile repped this.
  4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to argue the fact that the two best teams are in the final. Congrats to Panama. Hopefully, this will be a better match than the 2005 final (0-0 draw to PKs).

5. Al_from_Cali

Al_from_Cali New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dos - Uno? I don't know what you're talking about, but I called it just the way it turned out. I said Mexico and U.S. would dominate their opponents, and that is what happened. The U.S. got the goals in addition to beating up on Honduras, and therefore advanced. Mexico, while having more possession & opportunities, just couldn't score enough goals. Basically, they played against Panama like Costa Rica did against Honduras in the quarter-final. It was rather unfortunate for the Mexicans. Also, I did say it wouldn't be a total surprise if Panama beat them. But you claim to have not read my post... why, because you can't read 2 paragraphs of English or something? You're very much the fool, my friend.

6. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Me Vale v3rga

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Mexico/Panama game was strange. Panama dominated early, got the goal, and had many opportunities to get a 2nd, but didn't. Once Mexico scored, they dominated for long stretches, but couldn't get a second, then Panama scored and held on.

I wouldn't quite equate it to the CR/Honduras game, because Honduras never really dominated for 25-30 minutes like Panama did against Mexico.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Panama wins the final. Overall, I think they've been one of the two best teams in the tournament. They've been more consistent than Mexico (who played a real clunker against T&T).

8. Al_from_Cali

Al_from_Cali New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I wouldn't say that Panama dominated the first 25 to 30 mins of that game, but their passing and attacking looked more sharper than Mexico during that time. Still, if you look at the stats, Mexico had more time of possession (even during that first half-hour), and obviously even more as the game went on. They just couldn't create many good opportunities to score during the first 30 mins, but they eventually got it going. Too bad though, that they could only put one of those chances in the back of the net. And that's why I say this game is comparable to the Costa Rica vs. Honduras QF match. Although I will definitely admit to the fact that Panama is a far better team than Honduras, and have certainly played well throughout this tournament. They definitely have earned their spot in the final.

9. Al_from_Cali

Al_from_Cali New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL... I'd still argue that Mexico and the U.S. are the 2 best teams in Concacaf, but Panama have certainly played better than Mexico in this 2013 Gold Cup tournament. So yeah in that regard, the 2 most deserving teams are in the final. Also, given that these 2 teams actually know how to score goals (whereas teams like Mexico and Costa Rica struggle to score and live up to expectations), I think we'll get a result in regulation. It could go either way. Expect the U.S. to dominate in terms of time of possession and overall scoring chances, but Panama will create their own opportunities with good defensive play and quick counterattacks. So anything could happen. Should be a good one! ;-)

10. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA wins the Gold Cup 1-0

Panama played like they did in their last 3 matches in the Hex which was not a good thing....

They were playing more fluid this tournament but can't say I like Dely Valdes' strategy for most of this match. By the time they started pushing it was way too late. Don't understand the switch for Gabby Torres, sure he wasn't doing much but he should have stayed on longer can't take out your leading scorer. Congrats to the Nats they were solid with possession and maybe should have had a couple goals (Eddie Johnson's miss comes to mind).

As for Panama, gotta learn from this and use the good of this tournament to build on the rest of the Hex if they want to have a chance. Tough loss but the match plan was not very good. Btw I thought the Shea goal was offside but I don't think I got the right look.

11. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now the USA have to win it again for a confed cup birth, strange

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That whole thing is a mess. And if we win it again, is it given to the runner-up for the play-off match? Just ridiculous. If only they made it every 4 years

13. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with this seeing as they planned to take donovan out of the game forcing USA to restart attacks over and over allowing for chances on the breaks. They defended well with a solid line for the majority of the game with added pressure and were patient(perhaps too patient). If Panama fought for possession that would have opened up the game for donovan in the middle.

I do agree on torres though and the shea goal

14. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Shea was on, starts right behind the line of the ball when Donovan kicks it.

15. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah youre right the 2nd replay near the 35th second shows that

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not even entirely sure Donovan made contact. In fact, every time I see it, I'm more convinced he missed it.

17. Al_from_Cali

Al_from_Cali New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah well, I don't give a f*ck about what you have to say either, dumbass!

18. Al_from_Cali

Al_from_Cali New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you maybe right about Donovan missing, but as the replay shows, the ball was clearly headed INSIDE the post for goal anyway. Shea just happened to reach it first and put it into the back of net instead of having the ball go into the sidenet. It was a well deserved game winning goal for the US.

Things turned out exactly as I expected. The US dominated with over 70% time of possession, and had more of the scoring chances. Panama had a few opportunities as anticipated, but the US defense was up to the task today. Good for them. And a good overall showing by Panama throughout this tournament. It was kind of unfortunate for them that the US was red hot during the tournament (i.e. the ONE team that played better than Panama in the Gold Cup).

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no playoff between Gold Cup winners if we win it again.