2013-2015 U-20 Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by jsk14, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I may have misread the throwing the shirt and shouting "because of you" part. But then again, it felt like LYP was implying it happened or else why state don't do this or that after the first half ends? Which would imply the third match...

But did you see the video where one of the coaching staff had to restrain him in the first game after he was substituted when he went to kick the chair on the bench? The camera panned out during the match feed. But I saw one of the vids on SBS. I was surprised Ahn IS looked past it, as he's usually not the type to tolerate such antics...

2. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I finally found the video from Ilgan sports after he was substituted.

Watch 55 seconds on to 1'03" in the video within the article.

http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=17713604&ctg=140001&tm=i_etc_6710

3. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #778 Chaminator, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
    In that paragrapha LYP starts off by writing that while he wants to him to take after the euro style confidence and individuality/creativity, he does not want him to take after the bad/ugly side of the European mindset either, and what he said was very likely just an example (probably from what he witnessed first hand during his time in Europe, like his Robben story bit) of what not to do. while I'm not exactly 100% well versed in Korean either, I haven't seen anyone from Korea pointing that specific part out and criticizing/accusing LSW as the cultprit yet, so I do think a different example is all it was. I can see how that can easily get misinterpreted in translation though.

I didn't get to see any of LSW's fit after the first game besides him taking a detour around the back of the bench, but if he really show more frustrations as you said that definitely wouldn't have reflected well to the rest of the team (even if that was just frustration at himself as he claims, others may not see it that way). I'm sure Ahn IS had a talk about it with him afterwards though, and at least we didn't see (or at least I don't think I saw any) any more additional fits from him in the next two games even though he was also substituted rather early in those as well... As long as he takes those criticisms to heart (and I'm sure he saw plenty of it himself after the game on the news and the discussion boards) and learns not to do it again then I can accept those fits as just part of a young player growing up and maturing.

One positive thing to note with LSW I think is that we haven't seen him aggressively lash out towards others during the game, at least not yet. Remember that mini scuffle that our U-17 players had with the Norks after we lost? I recall LSW not partaking in it at all but instead butting in the middle of them and acting as a peacemaker trying to calm both sides down. I was pleasantly surprised actually, as I was worried that he may join in on the scuffle and have it get out of hand. Its one thing to have fiercely competitive personality and another thing to have just a bad temper lashing out to others, and I'm glad that he hasn't shown any signs of malicious temper (yet). As long as he continues to learn about the Korean culture and watch his actions that can possibly be negatively misinterpreted by others around him, I think his euro mindset attitude will be more of a positive than a negative in the long run.

4. edkwolverines

edkwolverines Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Who the ******** cares. Jesus. He's 17. I was a shitlord when I was 17 too and I'm not even good at anything.

dudedudedude repped this.
  5. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Yeah, but we're not in a profession where most are done by early or mid 30s... We're allowed to make a lot more mistakes over a longer time horizon than professional footballers. That and we want him to be ready for 2018 if possible...

PacMan repped this.
  6. edkwolverines

edkwolverines Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    /Shrug.

I think everyone is overreacting.

7. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This behavior should be unacceptable in any team at any tier of football. Same crap that Zidane is beating out of Odegaard at RM, same reason why Julian Green failed at Hamburg, and millions of other stories. Unlike you at 17, these kids are professionals and are relied upon as such and will be teammates with veterans who won't deal with that crap.

8. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #783 dudedudedude, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
    I'm with you. You guys are speculating too much off of just one instant.

Also, why should he be content with being benched. I'm hoping this'll drive him to work even harder to assimilate with the team.

9. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    I doubt he does this at Barca. He's probably humbled by the fact that he's surrounded by players who are just as good or better than him.

Keren repped this.
  10. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It's not him being content with being benched. It's the way he expressed his discontent.

11. brood915

brood915 Member+

Oct 14, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LYP is talking about European players, not LSW in that paragraph. He's just referring to those who act like that.

12. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I just re-read it with my wife. She agrees with my take on it that LYP is alluding to examples of LSW's actions that he does not want repeated in the future. I called home and discussed it with my mom. She had the same take as me on that particular paragraph.

From reading reports about him throwing his shirt in frustration to the embedded video in the Ilgan article that I linked above where he kicks the chair on the bench, I'm glad LYP, in his nurturing way, is calling upon LSW to mature in the right way.

13. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    What exactly is BSH's plans for the next seven months? It's clear how LSW will spend his time, with being occupied with the U-17 side for the U-17 WC. But BSH won't be allowed to sign with Barca until January when their transfer ban is over. Where is he going to get match fit? Or is he just going to continue training with Barca B?

More so than adjusting to his growth spurt, he just looks woefully out of match fitness. Can Cornelia take him on for the next few months? Or is that not an option at a non-academy level?

14. PacMan

PacMan Member

May 18, 2004
    I thought he was able to play with Barca B now?? Next January is ridiculous!!

Kanuck repped this.
  15. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    If Stielike has a pair of balls, he'd call him up for EAFF and WCQ.

16. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah, his match fitness worries me, though I do think that it maybe partially due to his sudden growth spurt in recent years. His technique and footballing sense seems a real deal to me, but it's his fitness/form/consistency and also maybe his mentality that worries me... LSW I think seems to have that strong prideful mentality that will carry him out of occasional slumps, but PSH's reactions after the games... I dunno, it looks more of discouragement and sunken morale rather than pure frustration... perhaps I'm reading into body language too much there though.

I actually wouldn't mind at least inviting them as special trainees like how Hiddink did in 2002 with Jung Jo Gook, Choi Sung Kook, and co.

I think LSW and PSH would really mesh well with Stielike too, with both being fluent in Spanish as Stielike is. I recall Stielike spoke to Cha DR personally all the time as he is fluent in German, it's always good to have a player who can converse fluently with the foreign manager without the help of the translator... not sure if any of our current German guys speak to Stielike directly often as much as Cha did (perhaps Son does, not sure if Koo, Park JH etc are fluent enough)

17. G0ALL

G0ALL Member

Dec 13, 2005
    U.S.
    I think a mountain is being made out of an anthill by korean media. I dont like those types of behavior either but...I just dont buy the 'He wont reach the next level with that type of mentality' argument. Plenty of world class players throw tantrums all the time. I dont really care if he becomes a serial killer as a hobby, as long as he becomes a really good player...i..i just want to not feel like crap when i watch the world cup every 4 years.

18. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Its not just korean media is the point. This stuff isn't accepted anywhere. Odegaard has caused ruckus in Spanish and Norwegian media about his behavior.

Now does the greatness of some players offset poor behavior? Of course, whether its Ronaldo pouting or Suarez biting or a million other problems. But at the same time it has led many players to failure in lots of other cases, whether its a distraction for the player, or isolation in the locker room, or distrust from the manager.

19. G0ALL

G0ALL Member

Dec 13, 2005
    U.S.
    It's not accepted elsewhere, but it balloons to other worldy crisis level in korean media.

LSW temperment may lead to some problems i nthe future, but I just get the vibe from LSw that his passion for the game is part of his strength, kinda like Ronaldo. He is defintely not humble like messi on the field.

Look at him kick the sign when he missed a scoring chance. Look how mad he his. i love that

TaegukRedDevil and brood915 repped this.
  20. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Very few clubs and managers at the top level tolerate tantrums. Balotelli is languishing. Suarez lost his mind but didn't throw tantrums. CR7 got pummeled by Ruud and kept in check by Ferguson. Beckham got a boot kicked into his eye socket by Ferguson. Shelvey got kicked out of Liverpool. Even Sterling was humiliated on camera during training in Boston when he went out of line...

Hope LSW adapts because Barca is known for not tolerating tantrums.

21. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I didn't mind when he kicked the post tbh. But kicking the bench after being restrained by a coach following a substitution made me wince.

22. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think this is where you are biased by your perspective. The Hamburg press got all upset at Son in his early years when he was perceived to be sarcastic when he gave a thumbs up on a missed through ball to him. The world media stops when Ronaldo is "sad" and the english press has gone into meltdown over players smoking and worldwide freaking out over players venting on social media. and again odegaard which is 100% an analog and 100% just as much an issue in european media.

23. brood915

brood915 Member+

Oct 14, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Agreed. I dont really mind seeing those kinds of behaviors from him as long as he doesnt do that directly to other people. Like he said during the recent interview, he only does it to show frustrations + anger towards himself. Besides, it looks like he can control himself when he needs to. After losing the final to NK last year, NK players provoked LSW, but he didnt bother to deal with them. He actually stopped his teammates trying to fight + defend for him.

24. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #799 Chaminator, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
    Honestly, I think we've all seen way too little of LSW thus far to make to draw any sort of final conclusion about his overall personal character as a football player. He's probably not going to be the second coming of Antonio Cassano-like 악동 but he may not necessarily be a 천사표 like a PJS either. Seeing some possible signs of bad attitude is worrying thing of course, and it's better that people see it and point it out to him sooner than later. Though at the same time we should point this out to him in a firm yet reasonable way internally rather than have everyone around him shove it at his face (though the Korean media I'm sure will inevitably do so, I hope LSW won't waste time with reading garbage 댓글 in those articles). I personally think LYP's article is fine and I hope that LSW read it... lot of people seems that many think LYP was too harsh on him but I don't think he crossed that line. The guy's still very young, so let's just give him time and hope that he gets raised the right way at Barca.

25. Zizzle

Zizzle Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic