2013-14 Indian Football Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Arsenalkid700, May 19, 2013.

1. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2012-13 season is all but done now so it is time to move on to the 2013-14 season in Indian football. Hopefully it will be good. The 7th I-League, Federation Cup, Durand Cup, SAFF Cup. All to play for this season. Perhaps some surprises and new players will emerge as well.

Lets go!

2. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The I-League needs franchises and some better stadiums. Something like this would be better than it is now:

1 Mohun Bagan
    2 East Bengal
    3 Goa United
    4 Mumbai FC
    5 Pune FC
    6 Delhi FC
    7 Viva Kerala
    8 United Sikkim
    9 Shillong Lajong
    10 Bangalore SC
    11 Siliguri FC
    12 Chennai FC
    13 Phagwara FC
    14 Green Valley

3. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ehhhhh, after 3 seasons I can see only 4-5 of those surviving. The rest will fade away or just remain shit.

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Just reading that list, we have Goa United and just killed off champions Churchill Brothers and former winners Dempo and Salgaocar just like that. I guess it is the outsiders of the league that think like this?

Whats the point of having East Bengal and Mohun Bagan, might as well just have West Bengal. In fact, why not just have one team from every state?

Can we please try and focus on 2013-14 and not predict the future? Talking about clubs that don't even exist when we have clubs formed years back and never get mentions beggars belief.

5. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be honest, I would not mind "killing" the Goan teams off. By that I mean I would merge them. None of the clubs are making money at all and the way the clubs are ran is better than before but still 20th century.

6. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    AIFF President has hinted about 4 new teams entering I-League next season and what is more scary is that they going to change the format along with that duration of league will be shortened to make way for nonsense IPL Football League.

7. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just hope they dont do what the BCCI did with their IPL and have the franchises pay $300,000,000 for their team. ********ing hell.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe old news

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1...fa-to-make-them-stakeholders-in-the-i?ICID=OP

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1...mend-changes-to-the-teams-composition?ICID=OP

9. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AIFF's Emergency Committee meets in New Delhi

NEW DELHI: The President of the All India Football Federation (AIFF) Mr. Praful Patel Chaired the AIFF Emergency Committee Meeting at Udyog Bhawan in the Capital on May 27 (Monday). Besides, AIFF General Secretary Mr. Kushal Das and Senior Vice-President Mr. Subrata Dutta, Vice-Presidents Mr. Shrinivas Dempo, Mr. Larsing Sawyan, AIFF Treasurer Mr. Hardev Jadeja and I-League Chairman AR Khaleel also attended the meeting. The Committee unanimously decided on the following points:

Full Article (with the points): http://the-aiff.com/news-center-details.htm?id=4981

10. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this before on the Indian football forum and I will say it post it again:

The Good:

- Every club being forced to follow the AIFF licensing criteria or they would not be allowed in the league.
    - Every club having to have 30 man rosters. Two U23 players in the 18-man match day squad.
    - Deadline for clubs to either make or even revamp their current stadiums by 2015 (However, stadium regulations would be nice).
    - Only 1 club being relegated. Means less pressure on clubs to spend mainly on squad and also keeps the supposed "excitement" of pro/rel.
    - Bigger participating fee.
    - Keeping the 3+1 foreign rule. I am fine with having all 4 foreigners on the pitch at once.
    - Club licensing to 2nd Division clubs as well.
    - The U20 I-League now turning into the U19 I-League.
    - Having AIFF and Private Academies in the U19 League.
    - City/State cap being set at 2 (3 for Kolkata and Goa).
    - State foreign cap set to 2 players.
    - Better Federation Cup.
    - Football Player Database.

The Bad (with reasons):

- The clearance of JSW (Bangalore) and Mumbai Tigers (Mumbai). Both teams located in markets which don't gain fans for Indian football. Mumbai does not even have a stadium. Also it is to late as the I-League starts in August now. They would have 2 months to get players, staff, non-football staff, stadium, training ground, facilities, youth team, and marketing for fans. I have never seen this happen in two months and I doubt I will see this now.
    - The Eastern and Western Conference. Will there be inter-conference games? Will we only see clubs play within there conference? In MLS we have this but we still play every single team regardless of conference. So I do not see the big logic in this. Specially in regards to travel which is not as big a problem among the clubs.
    - Minimum of 5 U23 players out of 30 and mandatory of 1 U23 in the squad. It should be 10 out of 30 being U23 and 0 mandatory starters. Let them earn there spot in the staring XI. Many clubs already do this as well so this rule is not needed.
    - The 2nd Division. Not what we wanted and still looks like a financial nightmare. How many teams in India below I-League are willing to spend money on travel in a 2nd Division while also "paying" players and not get anything back. Also the fee seems to high for them as well. And I doubt all the 2nd Division clubs would be able to create a U19 team unless it is like 2-3 weeks before the U19 I-League.
    - The City/State cap. I put this in the good side as well but this is also bad. How can the AIFF control this? There is no way we can just force clubs out and also if we tell a Kolkata and Goan club to move in order to play in the I-League then where would they go. They would move and not make fans and thus make more losses. In many ways this is more idiotic and not logical than it is smart.

Overall: Meh, I am happy with many of these but overall I am still left wondering how this will help Indian football in the long term. Of course nothing was revealed about how clubs will benefit financially from this. No word on TV money or other sources of revenue the clubs could do/get. Many of these rules regarding the 2nd Division also just seem to be desperate attempts by the AIFF to protect the 2nd Division and the City/State cap rule is also a desperate attempt to make Indian football "pan-India". Eventually the AIFF will see that these regulations just won't work in real life.

11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Hmm, some things the AIFF need to be clear on.

-One team to be relegated, but they will have two conferences, how do they determine relegation? End of season playoff or team with least points?
    -The conference system, i assume every plays each other twice still, playing teams from each conference?
    -Kolkata/Goa get special treatment to have 3 teams from 2015/16 but no other venue/city can have more than two. There's currently 5 teams in Kolkata and 4 in Goa, so by 2015 we having forced relegations now?
    -Queens Park Rangers want to play from 2014/15. Why? why they want to entertain this idea at all?

12. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The current prediction is that after each team plays each other in their conference (12 games) the top 4 from each conference would go into the final round to decide the championship and the bottom 3 from each conference go into a relegation round.

Trust me, no other place in India other than Kolkata, Goa, and a few North-East places can even support 1 team. I like the idea but I do wonder what will happen to the 4th Goan and 4th and 5th Kolkata team.

QPR will probably drop eventually when they see there is nothing to gain in this league.

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I personally don't see the reasoning behind it other than the fact they are admitting they basically have two state leagues currently running in I.League. I guess it's worth a try though and should make the competition much stronger in the future for the better teams, and the teams failing to make the cut just as bad as ever.

What the league needs to do after a 5 year period is look to go back to round robin but with 12 teams, stop bloody expanding!!

I haven't a problem with one team one city/venue issue, but I can't see how they can make a decision like this when the league is stacked past this already. Come 2014/15 seaosn, they have to relegate at this moment one club from each major city.

And they announce all this when they just send in another Mumbai team as well. Tigers can't get relegated next season, so I would guess that the odds are in their favour that no matter what, Mumbai Tigers will always be favoured over Mumbai

This is obviously just a play thing to get fans interested in QPR in England. Surely everyone making decisions in Indian football can see this and surely they can see that QPR aren't going to be around for the long haul.

14. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Pailan Arrows expected to be pulled from league aswell.

Things certainly are moving in India.

15. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the discussions among normal fans and the officials on facebook the reasoning is to just lower costs on travel (which for some reason is provided by the AIFF). Thus the AIFF save money and can "spend it on youth development" (Aka: Their pockets).

I have been saying to go down to 12 teams for a while now. Of course though that was met with criticism and the many comparisons to England.

Now I will wait when there is an announcement that there is TV money and that the money is split equally among the 16-18 clubs. Each club will make literally nothing.

This is what I thought as well. Places like Mumbai, Pune, Punjab, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Sikkim, and Siliguri are all 1 team cities/states. Hell, none of these cities even support 1 club. Look at the ONGC match in Delhi and the past Mumbai FC matches in Mumbai. Zero support.

As for Mumbai Tigers. I'm guessing that the AIFF are banking on the Mumbai Tigers surviving next season and Mumbai FC being relegated (which I would not be surprised about after losing players like Gabriel Fernandes, Zohib Amiri, and possibly others soon).

Now, as for Mumbai overall, my problem is not really that we now have 2 Mumbai clubs in a city that can not even support 1, but... Where will Mumbai Tigers play? We expect this club to invest tons of money into infrastructure and youth development and yet they might not even have a stadium in there own city! I can not even think of the losses they will make financially after year 1 due to lack of support.

That is basically it with Mumbai Tigers (Dodsal Group), JSW Group, and QPR and all the other corporates that started investing in football in India like Pepsi and Manchester United. They know that if they invest money into Indian football and that Indian football actually becomes good then they can gain so much popularity and money.

In QPR's case it is fans. They will basically create a sister club which will probably glorify the fans with Queens Park Rangers branding.

16. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
  17. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Cabinet gives approval for submitting 2017 U-17 WC bid

The Union Cabinet on Thursday (June 13, 2013) gave its approval to the proposal for submitting guarantees sought by the All India Football Federation from the Government of India for their bid to host the FIFA U-17 World Cup Tournament in 2017 in India.

The U-17 World Cup 2017 will involve 24 of the best Youth Teams in the World and is expected to be held in Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Goa, Bangalore and Kerala if India is successful in winning the bid.

India will be submitting its formal bid to FIFA very soon. The final decision is expected to be taken by the FIFA Executive Committee later this year.

Mr. Praful Patel, President of All India Football Federation said: “This is an extremely positive development for Indian Football and I am confident India will be able to make a formidable and successful bid with the backing of the Union Government of India even though there are some other strong contenders.”

He added: “I have been actively following up with FIFA regarding the submission of our bid and I’m hopeful that our efforts will be fruitful.”

Source -AIFF

18. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Finally India's dream of playing in first ever FIFA finals tourney coming true. I just hope people dont mess up things like it happened in CWG. Hosting this tourney could change the makeover of game in India.

19. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I-League 2015:

1 Mohun Bagan
    2 East Bengal
    3 Dempo
    4 Churchill Brothers
    5 Pune FC
    6 Mumbai FC
    7 United Sikkim
    8 Prayag United
    9 Shillong Lajong
    10 Simla Youngs
    11 Aizawl FC
    12 Green Valley
    13 Eagles FC
    14 JSW

Represents more cities.

20. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    JSW could also be named South United.

21. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Why is that?

22. indiafootballfan

Feb 26, 2010
    all over usa
    Club:
    Pune FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    jsw will be named either Bangalore fc or Bangalore united

Arsenalkid700 repped this.
  23. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    AIFF announce Probables for Tajikistan Friendly
    Goalkeepers - Subrata Paul, Karanjit Singh, Sandip Nandy, Subhasish Roychowdhury.

Defenders -
    Denzil Franco, Nirmal Chettri, Arnab Mondal, Gouramangi Singh, Raju Gaikwad, Sandesh Jhingan, Gurjinder Kumar.
    Midfielders -
    Mehtab Hussian
    Lalrindika Ralte, Arata Izumi, Lenny Rodrigues, Lalkamal
    Bhowmick, Alwyn George, Md. Rafique, Asif K, Jewel Raja Shaikh, Francis
    Fernandes, Tsewang Karma, Shylo Malsawmtluanga, Clifford Miranda, Syed
    Rahim Nabi, Vineet CK.

Forwards -
    Sunil Chhetri, Robin Singh, Dawson Fernandes, Jeje Lalpekhlua.

http://www.the-aiff.com/news-center-details.htm?id=5046

24. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I-League 2nd Division to undergo changes

AIFF is finally looking to make changes to the much criticized I-League 2nd Division this season. Reports on their website states that significant changes have been made to the tournament this year all of which was decided in the concluded Emergency committee meeting held on May 27, 2013.

Clubs interested to participate in the 2nd Division League for 2013-14 season need to submit their Applications through their respective State Associations latest by July 15, 2013. All participating clubs would be required to fulfill the AFC Club Licensing Criteria just like their counterparts in top tier I-League.

It will be interesting to see if I-League 2nd Division format is changed to traditional Home/Away style instead of cup like one which is currently followed by AIFF.

http://indianfootballplanet.blogspot.in/2013/07/i-league-2nd-division-to-kick-off.html

25. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan