2013/14 CCL: CHAMPIONSHIP STAGE [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by ceezmad, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    maybe if Alajuela was playing Cruz Azul or Xolos they can make it to the final, but not against Toluca.........why
    because

Toluca

es

MUNDIAL!!!

2. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #177 B2TO, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Alright guys, that's my opinion and as I respect yours; I expect the same from you.

My argument:
    For an International Championship final I would expect an international final with two sides from different countries, It certainly will be more excited at least for me, it will bring International Media, and International recognition. Besides, I don't really like the way Toluca is playing right now.

I'm certain Cruz Azul and Toluca will be playing the final, but I would prefer to see Alajualense instead of Toluca.

Now, if you don't like what you read then move on.

3. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well, that "at least for me" makes a lot of difference.

I expect the best teams available to make the final, I found the last Monterrey - Santos Laguna way more exciting than the Monterrey - Salt Lake, just as I found the Dortmund - Bayern more exciting than Chelsea - Bayern.

I don't really know who will give "us" any more international recognition by winning against Alajuelense, the CR media already respect our clubs a lot.

And the international media that would be interested in a Mexican - Non Mexican team here would be the same that was already in the semifinals. With or without them it would not be that different. Here we would have more coverage in CR, that's all.

JRB92 repped this.
  4. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    The media would mock Toluca if they lost their tie. I could just imagine the Qucho cartoon the morning after, with a wounded eagle and red devil contemplating what might've been, with a self deprecating jab at our league.

An international Final may bring 5% more media attention, but it would bring 80% more negative attention for losing to a Central American club twice in the same tournament.

Mr. P Mosh repped this.
  5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? The Monterrey-Real Salt Lake aggregate was decided by 1 and wasn't Chelsea-Bayern Munich a closer game than Borussia Dortmund-Bayern Munich?

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Mexico NT may no longer be the giats of Concacaf, but Liga MX teams still are, so it is like watching a Floyd Mayweather fight, we all know he is going to win, but some people turn in to see if this is the fight where he will lose.

Same with the FIFA WC, only two times the final has not been between a Conmebol and a UEFA team; everyone knows that that will be the final and when it did not happen it was a big surprised.

Alaju is the underdog of the 4 semifinalist, it is natural for some people to cheer for the underdog.

Now in terms of ratings and tickets sold (where Concacaf gets its money) I think a Liga MX final as usual is preferred by the money backing the tournament.

7. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Germany is the king of concacaf now

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP, well yes Germany is that good, players that can't make the Germany team are good enough to be top in Concacaf.

I think all the Brazilian-Mexicans and Argentinean-Mexicans proved something similar long ago.

Not good enough for Brazil or Argentina still means top player in Concacaf.

9. diegolin89

diegolin89 Member+

Jul 13, 2008
    So 3 Toluca players and 2 Cruz Azul players will be called for the Mexico v USA, thats how serious this competition is taken.

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, just that the US decided to hitch a ride with Mexico's money-spinning pre-World Cup minicamps. Javier Aguirre gutted Pumas in 2010 for the same reason; Cruz Azul lost 1-0 to them before the call-ups, then feasted on them 5-0 in the second leg of the 2009-10 CCL semifinals.

[​IMG]

11. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Is all about the money man!
    MNT is a money making machine, they need to make a decent World Cup so they can sell it good for the next 4 years.
    They would use any friendly game as chance to tune this "national team".

12. Majin

Majin Member+

Arsenal
    Mexico
    May 7, 2013
    Zacatecas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  13. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    diegolin's point was right tho, in that this tourney isn't serious enough to keep players from leaving for NT duty.

The Cementers benefitted from this in 2010 as you said, but now they are on the other side of the coin. They could have used Fabian tonight. Karmic balance, in a way.

And they were "CONCACAFed" on that handball call, as was Toluca with that PK. I hope mml fans can see that it goes both ways, and that there is no conspiracy against their league, at all. Kinda the opposite, in fact.

14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be more specific...Chacón is on record stating that "siempre les va con madre" for Monterrey teams when he's handling their games (see: that absolute BS penalty that allowed the rayados to eliminate Cruz Azul in the 2010-11 CCL :mad: ). I guess he also has an affinity for border dogs...at least he won't be handling the return leg.

15. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Cruz Azul/Tijuana series can still go either way

Toluca is in the final again!:cool:

Toluca no es solo de este territorio, no es solo de Concacaf, no es solo de America..........

Toluca es MUNDIAL!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something tells me @It's called FOOTBALL is going to have a field day with this. ;) Now that the MLS teams are gone, FOX has decided to bump another CCL game to their main network in the US: Cruz Azul/Tijuana will be shown on Fox Sports 1 tomorrow night.

Adrian559 repped this.
  17. diegolin89

diegolin89 Member+

Jul 13, 2008
    Another all Liga Mx final? Who would have thought of this?

18. diegolin89

diegolin89 Member+

Jul 13, 2008
    OMG Alajuelense doesnt know how to lose, how unclassy! #Nadmode

19. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I never would of guessed it lol :D

20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    The wider audience will be treated to a good game, as the dirrty dawgs will get to experience Blue Hell.

I'll be rootin for you guys 100%. A Final without yall is like Harold Melvin without the Blue Notes.

21. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    @B2TO is disappointed

22. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
  23. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Saprissa rep for you :)

24. AMLO2018

AMLO2018 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    FYP

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got the second half of Leon-Flamengo, then TJ-Blue Cross and then the Copa MX final.

Too much soccer after the Atletico-Barca game.