2012 WPSL Elite Boston Breakers

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Ben James Ben, Feb 11, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No street parking on the Somerville side of the stadium as it's all restricted to resident permits (except Sundays). Arlington is directly behind the stadium and it's possible that street parking is not restricted (Arlington is generally more lax than Somerville and doesn't have a parking enforcement team). Medford has permit requirements on only certain streets.

You could probably park at Tufts and walk over (it's grad weekend there and they don't really enforce parking regulations on weekends/nights). It's about a half mile from the lot on Curtis.

You are dealing with 3 cities, with different parking regulations. Somerville requires parking permits on all streets. Medford and Arlington do not. I'd recommend parking behind the stadium in Arlington, though I've never tried that before. As long as it's not posted as a permit required street, you should be okay.

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to her Twitter feed she graduated from Notre Dame on Sunday and is on her way to Boston today.

3. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it about time to move this thread out of the WPS forum?

5. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gears are turning to create a WPSL-Elite forum. Once that exists, this thread and similar ones (like the one for the Red Stars) will all be moved there.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Breakers' Twitter feed:

U.S. Women's National Team and Breakers midfielder Heather O'Reilly will be available for selection for our games on 6/20, 6/23, and July 6!

They later amended it to say she would only be available for autographs on 6/20.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Heather O'Reilly will make her debut on Saturday, June 23rd. She was listed as on the bench for the 6/20 match, though she wasn't supposed to be available. I know she was there, but surprised if she dressed out.

Tobin Heath will be making her debut for the NY Fury as well and I think this will be the first time any of the current USWNT players appear in the WPSL Elite.

http://www.nyfurysoccer.com/article.php?article_id=42

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today is Heather O'Reilly's farewell game and the Breakers have tickets for half off. HAO50 is the coupon code.

There are actually 2 articles in today's Boston Globe (a big shock because they haven't covered the team or league at all this season):

Both are probably behind the Globe's paywall...

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/...-pro-soccer/TGm224p7VPRCR5sl1ocdaJ/story.html

There's another one on Leslie Osborne that I can't seem to find in the online version. The big point is that she's been heavily responsible for recruiting players and for bringing in sponsors. The writer gives her a lot of credit for holding things together for the team.

Not a lot of new info in the main article, mostly about WUSA, WPS and WPSL-E history. Plenty of money talk and "future of the USWNT" as well.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game tonight, and saw another good win for the Breakers. The Australians showed well! But in goal... wow, that's a position that needs an upgrade.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea what the substitution rules are in WPSL? I was kind of caught off guard by the number of subs allowed.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there tonight myself. Good to see HAO in action.

WPSL allows 6 subs. I was surprised in last week's game against Chicago that the Breakers used only one sub, though they had a much deeper bench and were looking for something to get them the late goal they eventually found.

The GK is the newly signed backup from Colombia, making her WPSL debut. She is Colombia's 3rd keeper, so that should tell you something. The regular keeper, Alice Binns, is more than solid (she saved their bacon last week) and had played 10 complete games up to now.

Because the Breakers have another game tomorrow, they cobbled together the lineup and used many more subs than they usually would. I'm not sure if they will have the Aussies tomorrow since they've been called up for NT duty.

Interesting to see that HAO started on the right, but almost immediately moved to an advanced left wing position and stayed there the rest of the game. She assisted on the 1st 2 goals.

15. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WPSL-Elite allows 6 subs (same as the W-League). Regular WPSL allows unlimited subs.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States