2012 Olympic Soccer Team Thread

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Daniel96, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arun10

arun10 Member

May 31, 2005
    With an average squad in terms of quality of players, his team had beaten all top teams in the world.He won a Copa America and Confederations cup.His team convincingly beat Uruguay and Argentina away from home.If it's not doing wonders then what is?Everything was going right for him until the second half of the Holland game..

Ombak repped this.
  2. Sranang

Sranang Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Suriname
    Neymar was surrounded by 3 - 4 players as soon as he got the ball. That is why I and others have been saying you need more balance on the right side to counter this. Hulk brought more stability, but because of the 0 -1 deficit Mexico could sit back and absorb the pressure.

Damiao to me you can not compare to Ronaldo. He's more of a box player with a nose for goal.

3. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    As you know and pointed out , not all Mexicans are the same and that goes for Brasileiros
    We specially savor this win because it was against Brasil, had we won the final vs Korea or Japan it would not have felt as legitimate an acomplishment, for we hadnt played the best of the world.

Some of us that are more fans of the game then any team or country recognize what Brasil is and where they stand in hiarchy. As Mexicans we recognize our teams shortcommings and strive to reach the level of play that Brasil has shown throughout the history of the game.

But after all, as passionate as we are about it and as wonderfull as it seems , it's just a game.

LGRod and El Mariachi repped this.
  4. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Dunga's squad was maybe average for Brazil, but in general the players he had very pretty good. Copa America and Confederations were nice successes, true, but then in World Cup failing to make the semis wasn't that great - and the World Cup matters a lot. I mean, everything usually goes well until it doesn't.

Not saying Dunga was bad, but IMO it's not like he did with the squad something that top coaches could've not done.

5. Sranang

Sranang Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Suriname
    As far as bringing in a foreign coach. I don't think that is the solution. Plus I don't remember a foreign coach ever winning a WC.

Personally I favor Felipao but I admit I don't know enough about the other club coaches in Brazil.

Ronaldo as coach? I hope not. Not at this time anyway. He has proven himself as a GREAT player but as a coach?

Not saying he couldn't be, but at this point he is in unkown quantity in that respect.

6. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Who told you that I get defensive or outraged when somebody disagrees with me?
    There you go putting words in people's mouths again.
    What I get outraged is when some prick calling himsel Benni, who does not even have any business being here, calls a poster ignorant three times because of his disagreement, and you defend them.
    Anyway, deixa pra la.

And once again, Brasil in the eyes of the world were the heavy favorites to beat Mexico and how anybody can state otherwise using the measuerment of "performance" is wrong.

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I appreciate your post, but I stand by what I said. The trash talk given here before and after the match surprised me. Uruguayans, Italians, and Argentines have been disrespectful towards us - although we've had an ample superiority over them. But Mexicans? I always thought you guys were amongst the most fraternal "hermanos" in Latin America as far as soccer was concerned.

And yes, it's just a game. In my post I made no comments alluding to things Mexican beyond and above soccer.

8. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think that's ever gonna happen. In our Brasilian tradition and culture, bringing back a coach after a loss similar to that of the Holland loss is highly unlikely.

As of now, Mano is staying. Regretably that is the case. If Brasil looses on Wednesday to Sweden, then there is a possibility of Mano getting sacked. But I don't see Brasil loosing.

So I think we are stuck with Mano for now.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I have a lot of respect for what Dunga accomplished. And with all honesty had Kaka' been healthier and Ramires/Elano played against Holland, I think we would have made the final. But honestly, I don't want to see his tactics in the Selecao again. I don't want to be a counter attacking team. I actually respect what Mano is trying to do which is bring Brazil back to a team that dominates ball possession. It's obviously something not easy to do and I don't know if he is the right guy for the job or if we have the right personnel. We obviously need to fix the defensive gaps and find a striker who is at least at Luis Fabiano's level. I am not asking for Ronaldo nor Romario types ... that's unrealistic at this point.

As for foreign coach, forget it. It won't happen. Our players need a certain freedom on the field that I think foreign coaches won't provide.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I actually think it took balls from Mano to make that change at 30 mins in the first half. It's tough for a coach to admit a mistake so early in the game. And it did work.

The interesting part of this game is that we didn't really play bad apart from the defensive screw ups. I thought we played much worse in the SF against Korea. I noticed the media in Brasil barely criticized the team after the SF which I found surprising. But after the final ... :rolleyes:

11. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    At least some people here agree with me that we need to attack. Seems like the consensus here is for us to be a counter attacking team again. I really can't wait to see what happens with Mano, my guess even with a win over Sweden hes done. Lol @ the Arsene Wenger suggestion that would be a disaster. I like the direction of the team but we need a really good passing midfielder who can play deep and link up play from the back 4 and attack. I'm not sold lucas leiva will help this but we will see. Maybe Mano will move Oscar deeper to compensate. I think Mano should keep his job btw.

12. El_Pozolero_Mex

Apr 17, 2012
    Club:
    Club América
    Brazil & Mexico are friends.

LGRod repped this.
  13. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Century's Best, you must understand that what happened here is not a matter of nationality, it's internet. Hidden by anonymity, they gain this baseless courage to let their rotten cores out. They find pleasure on being jerks, the angst caused fill their otherwise hollow, meaningless existences.

Welcome to troll 101.

E#m outras palavras, são um bando de moleques que não merecem um segundo da sua atenção. Esta é a face podre da juventude atual.

Anyway let's move one guys!

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I agree, Brazil96 team were better in attack with Ronaldo + Bebeto (11goals by them) - the only draw back was that they (young) lacked of experience to maintain the LEAD (2goals clear) and let Nigeria *eventually the winner to comeback from dirt GOSH -

Similarity of Brazil96 to this 2012 were BAD defense - no leader, no disciplines which costed them both dearly. (Carlos own goal in 96 and the no man's land Rafael's great assist to Perata)

=======================================
    I still have no news regarding Mano in leaving the post???

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Bakaman, I know that there are trolls in any online forum. I merely found it surprising that fans from a soccer nation who has never figured amongst the world's elite would be so brazen as to come here BEFORE the match to talk trash. Fortunately for them, their team had the better day.

That's why I mentioned the Argentines. No one hates us more than they do and no one delights to see Brazil lose than they do. Yet they didn't even come in here. I bet they have been gloating all weekend, but if so, they limit that to either WR or their own forums. The Mexicans in contrast did this for the sole purpose of provocation.

I stand by everything I said - as a man does. Mexico deserved the Olympic title, but they will not win the 2013 Confeds, they will not win the 2014 World Cup, and they will never approach the track record of success in international competition that Brazilian national teams have become famous for. I learned a long time ago that wisdom stops one from gloating and boasting - I needn't brag. I needn't trash talk. The results and the history are all known, by all.

Pessoas pequenas que querem se mostrar. Paciência.

16. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    You build a system based on personnel. Dunga built around Kaka and a counter attacking system was the right way to go.

Mano is going for the more possession based style and that fine but again do we have the personal. We are a little thin in the ball playing CM area and as the Olympics showed the likes of Oscar and Neymar had to come as deep as where the CB are station just to get the ball.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Your fellow Mexicans did a lovely job of convey those sentiments here, didn't they.

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well, Mexican fans have rights to celebrate the trophy despiteof being a surprised winner! As long as they don't trash us with BS ---

The issue is not the Mexico team but Brazil themselves - we HANDED them the cup
    Hope this is a GREAT lesson for CBF to decide on:
    1- Moving to new coach
    2- Support the new coach and team
    3- get prepare for 2014

19. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In Chicago we have a huge Mexican population, over 1 Million.
    I cannot walk down the street today without being taunted.
    There is no greater joy to the Mexicanos then beating Brasil and then putting it in your face.
    But I love them all. It's all in good fun.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I may be wrong but I think the main difference is that there a lot more Mexicans on BS than Argentinos. So there will be naturally a lot more Mexican trolls. But you're right, the Argentinos here are top notch. Seems like the ones that do come to BS are people looking for a forum to discuss football and not just trash talk.

21. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't think that's the consensus at all.

Agreed. But gotta say: when the World Cup comes around, and especially after the group stage, pretty much all the teams play really well. And those teams who can avoid those crucial few screw ups per match will go far, and those who make the screw ups will go home. I think Brazil has a lot to improve in the attack and in midfield, but way more in defence. In Olympics Brazil conceded how many goals in how many matches? 7 in 6? That's too much.

22. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

23. Socratinho

Socratinho Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    He could fix that by playing Hernanes as a volante instead of as a meia. It's so obvious, yet Mano can't see it.

This is partially based on hindsight, but Giuliano would have been a better choice at volante than Romulo who offered little creativity and didn't improve the team's saida de bola.

24. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Sao Paulo's dirigentes have jumped into the new technico debate and stated they'd like to see either Ramalho or Felipao take over.

25. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The Brasilian defense for this last Olympics is not the same as our National team with the exception of Thiago Silva. The National Team defense will be completely different, especially in the goal which was a disaster this Olympics.