2012 Off-season

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Whitecaps10, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even want to know how many days till the next season, but here is the tread for the 2012 off-season. At least soccer isn't like the NHL and NFL in that we have other teams to watch.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its too long But we should have plenty to talk about.

Rumor is Nicki Paterson is getting a trial up with RBNY.
    Sal Bundu is playing in Azerbajan
    Boyd, Kelly and Williams are playing in Jamaica

We have some plans for a new big tifo for next season.

watching local College of Charleston matches til November.

Watching EPL and US matches at our local pub Madra Rua (and potential new one down town, Molly Darcy's)

3. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    plus, the Three Lions pub is open on Thursday nights, when the over 35 & 45 leagues are playing

4. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard about the trial for Paterson. He is a very good player. It would be great if the Red Bulls sign him, but with their lineup, he won't get much playing time

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to have him return next year but its a great opportunity.

But your right with their roster it would be tough to break in. Also he would take a foreign player slot which works against him as well.

6. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that USL is adding teams for Tampa Bay and Phoenix for 2013. The ride to Phoenix would be really long. USL Pro is supposed to be a regional league, having LA and Phoenix doesn't make any sense for the East Coast teams

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard any news on Patterson signing with the Red Bulls. The roster freeze was on the 15th. If they didn't sign him by then, the Red Bulls would have to wait until after MLS Cup is over.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long do you figure the bus ride is from Charleston to Orlando? And how long do you figure the total travel time by plane is from Charleston to Phoenix?

(Answers: 6 1/2 hours or so for both.)

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that the trip time? I know you may have made that trip.

I know most the guys don't mind the bus because it means no layovers, no two hours early to the airport, and they typically get sleeper buses that have internet and personal monitors to watch movies.

Nicki wasn't picked up by the Red Bulls but the article said they were going to keep him in training there and will look at him for the 2013 season. I just hope they aren't stringing him along (he would be more than welcome back here in Charleston!)

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you get on the bus and go from Charleston to Orlando, it's 6-7 hours (not counting a meal stop) and you do feel a bit better when you get off than when you fly, but from wheels up to wheels down in the air (there aren't many non-stops between CHS and PHX, you usually go through CLT) it's not terribly longer in total time.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

We used to bus from Indianapolis to Milwaukee and then to Minnesota and THEN all the way home from Minnesota to Indianapolis. Was a bear of a trip home, unless you won, which did happen in 1999. :)

Indy's indoor team also bused from Indianapolis to Landover to play the Warthogs once. THAT was not fun.

12. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi guys, I know it's early, but is there any scuttlebutt regarding the dates for the 2013 Carolina Challenge Cup? I've never been, but I would like to go, and I already need to juggle my calendar due to potential conflicts. Thanks, in advance, for your help!

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nothing solid yet but historically it ends the weekend before the start of MLS season. (so If MLS starts March 2, 2012 the CCC would run Feb. 16- 23, 2012)

Last year, the tourney and teams were announce before Christmas.

that said, I haven't heard what teams will be involved. the last two years they have had more teams wanting to come down than slots. each year they had six teams wanting to come.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The teams that go to the Carolina Challenge Cup are different each year, but DC United seem to be a safe bet to be there

Winoman repped this.
  15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, guys. I know there is no guarantee that DC will be there, but even if they were not - and I were to go anyway - I would cheer for the Battery. I've heard from other DC fans that they've been and enjoyed themselves immensely. When you add to that, the wife has joined me in retirement, AND we think that Charleston is one of the nicer towns around, we're going to have a hard time staying away.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    definately a good time regardless of who is playing. We try to organize a few things outside of the matches (Watch parties and a pub crawl or evening meet up.) this year the an Irish Bar downtown has has become a favorite spot of some of the players and they have said they want to get more involved next season with watch parties and the like. they even printed up some t shirts for the championship match (Basically the Battery crest with Falvey's Army in place of Charleston Battery text) so we will likely do a party there as they a have good food and lots of room. And if others want to explore some other bars downtown it is right in the middle of it.

Of course as you know there is tons to see and do.

Something to think about if you stay more than a couple days is renting a condo near the beach.

Most the week long warriors end up doing that as it works out cheaper than a hotel for a week and typically it is more comfortable (not to mention you can hang out on the beach, not that it will be swimming weather but should be nice enough for a stroll.

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope DC will be there again - it's my only chance for a vacation in 2013 and Folly Beach misses me :)
    But I worry with the new owners that we will go on some Asian pre-season tour to help "spread the global brand of DCU" instead.

It's easy to root for the Battery, especially after tailgating with the Regiment and the other Battery fans - except for the game where The Coffee Pot Cup is on the line, then it's all DC so fatbastard doesn't have to fill the Cup with beer on his dime :D

18. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a bad thing to spread the brand :)

Doesn't Ben Olson and the playing staff have the final say in where they want to have preseason?

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's cute. Unless Benny's writing checks, no.

20. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to speak about rumors, but the rumors that USL and MLS are going to affiliate with each other haven't been going away and it's being said that the Rhinos President has confirmed it.

21. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they want the Reserves to play in our division, which makes sense and they can spot talent too

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Ryan Richter is training with the Philedelphia Union and Nicki is still up with NYRB

23. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He used to be with the Union. Maybe they are still interested in him

24. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any word about players on the team who have had their contract run out?

25. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't know, saw Colin Falvey at the stadium last Thursday night, when we were playing 9v9