2012-13 European Football thread [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by patricksp, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Just saw on Sky Sports News that Everton announced that it's too late to change the new badge for next season, but they'll consider changes for 2014/2015.

2. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never really got why some people freak out (not saying you are) if a team changes its crest/badge up. Kinda like how some people on here act like if the Crew changed theirs they would walk into a volcano. I think Leeds has went through 3 since the Crew has been around.

3. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It probably makes the tattoo cooler / more legit. Proves how loyal they are, etc.

4. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Arsenal had this (with various color changes) for over 50 years until 2002. Much like the Everton case, the new badge lacks the Latin phrase and other details. But I'd imagine Arsenal fans are now over it.
    [​IMG]

5. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I think a lot of it has to do with how much has been taken away from fans in the modern era. I am referring specifically to English clubs, and my own experience.

Since the huge amount of money that started to flow into soccer, the players have been removed further and further from the fans. There has also been a shift (my perception, rather than hard evidence) in how many players are with clubs for 5+ seasons, and those players that are are almost unheard of to the extent that it is "news". The loyalty between managers, players and their clubs is almost non-existant.

The increase in foreign ownership has meant (again my perception) that even the clubs themselves have moved further away from the fans. Local ownership brought with it a sense that the club is still the supporters, and that in some way the supporters still owned a part of it.

The old stadiums that had so much character are now slowly being replaced by identi-kit all seaters. Hollow shells with little to no atrmosphere. It used to be fun to visit all those away grounds, now theyy all look and feel the same.

So what are fans left with? The club name, the club badge and the club colors. And even then some clubs (see cardiff) are willing to change those too.

I get it.

Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will be changing it for the 2014/15 season that much we do know. Seems most fans are happy with it.

Personally, I have never been to Liverpool. My association is much different than other fans. In America I think the commercialization of sport is just part of life now. I think it's taking over the worlds game but a few things should stay traditional. Those things mean the most to the fans so why change it.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is beginning to happen in MLS as well. I recall talking with Mais back in the day and hearing how they were *excited* to be at events--they looked at it as part of the job in bringing the sport to the US and popularizing it. Now, especially with the CBA restrictions? Not so much. Bringing in the EPL players with the DP rule also seems to have brought in EPL attitudes. You'll also note how the Crew for one has shifted away from volunteers to interns--and I think the game experience has suffered and the fans who once volunteered feel more distant from the club (I'm still a volunteer--barely).

8. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    On a different note: going to any of the Everton games this summer on their US tour?

9. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, not sure which yet but I am going to make it to at least one.

NUFCBayern repped this.
  10. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I'd be awesome if Tottenham would play the Crew in a friendly this (off)season. They could even make a cup for it: The "Finish Just Out of the Desired Spot" Cup (CL/Playoffs)

JayFunkeyFresh repped this.
  11. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    so it looks like Martinez is to be the next everton coach. obviously this will probably mean a change in style of play, and could possibly spark some ins/outs in playing staff. Wigan, although terrible at the back had some very good attacking players. Would not be surprised if some followed.

12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really hoping we don't end up with Martinez

13. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs have gone through a similar crest change (the cockerel is similar to the turret in this case). It's almost the same situation with losing the club motto and the wreaths/lions.

I like the minimal badges, but I also like the older ones on apparel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NUFCBayern repped this.
  14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will also add that one of the reason I think for such a backlash against the change is most Everton fans do not like the current board and many do not like Kenwright (the chairman). Anything the club does that comes from that level won't appease many people.

15. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    There are worse options. Who would you like?

16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just don't see a lot of positives with him. Yes, he won an FA Cup but in league play he didn't push the team forward. Previous managers on same budgets finished higher.

I want Vitor Pereira from Porto. He is out of contract (so no compensation), lost 1 game in 2 seasons, 2 titles, 1 league cup, decent success in Europe. He has stated he is interested.

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can say this again, especially the bold part. I know a lot of people who volunteered for years until they weren't needed and replaced by interns with fancy titles that do the same thing. Some of these former volunteers landed paid jobs on event days but I haven't seen other ones in a couple years now.

Speaking of the whole rebrand thing of the past few years, I was at a Clippers game last weekend. They had girls walking around in team-themed apparel and inflatable attractions for kids to partake of and believe it or not, these things did not distract from the baseball game or the overall atmosphere.

The first generation of MLS players were largely college kids and American guys who played overseas and were happy to come home and play for puny wages in oversized stadiums because they simply loved the game. Ever since players such as Ruiz, Beckham, and others came in, the league *has* shifted to a lot of players who get the fans and credibility but don't want to mingle with the fans any more than they have to, which would probably be not much more than once or twice per year if they could help it. It's true that our 4-6 autograph alley nights per year and Frankie Hejduk at away game viewing parties are much more than you'll get at an NBA or NFL game, but it's nowhere near the grassroots feel the league used to have. Heck, they used to have two or three "season ticket holder parties" per year and autograph alley at every game. I don't think they had the spring soccer festival this year. I think the summer party was axed several years ago and I don't even know about the "end of season" party.

18. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cutting down your post just for size. The reason there are only a few things is because of the CBA. The players didn't want to continue to be the owners whipping boy. They couldn't necessarily get more money (haven't had the leverage in negotiations) but they didn't want/need to show up at 40 (totally fabricated number) events outside of the game each year. Really didn't have much to do with Beckham or anyone else coming into the league but the players wanting some rights.

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spring festival (now called Crew Fest) is comming up shortly for ST holders--did you not get the postcard? Deadline is tomorrow. I'm not going to bother to go, myself. I'm pretty sure the picnic is still on, though I cannot find anything in my e-mail about 2012 (the event did happen in 2011 and 2010) and the end-of-season party is now the awards ceremony down in the Arena District.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the players made a huge mistake here. This is not an established sport yet in the US. The old guys *got* that. Being paid to play was not a right but a privilege, granted by the folks who pay the salaries--by attending the games. I'm not saying they should not have challenged the owners--but not on this point. The nicer you are to fans and the more you are out in the community, the more the brand loyalty is built. They may not "want" to show up--but for the good of the sport they *need* to. Promoting the sport is part of the job. Maybe it won't be when everyone sells out. But we're quite a ways away from that, even with mostly 20K stadia. I 've also heard that the EPL types did have some influence here. Where they are from, the game has been supported for 100 years and they did not see the need. That attitude got passed on. There was also the influence of the NFL types, as the two unions were working together.

21. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the players saw it as well I get paid 20K a year and now I have to spend any free time I have being told what to do. Any power the players feel like they can grab they did. They don't get many "wins" when it comes to rights so they take what they can get.

Anyways this is off topic.

22. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I know. Having to work nearly year round with only a week or two off here and there is such bullshit.

stanger, kgilbert78 and HardHatMike repped this.
  23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NUFCBayern repped this.
  24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I don't disagree I am just saying that is there thinking.

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree all around. I know I've said it before, but it is what it is. Not that I *need* to mingle with the players, but it's always nice to see them in the relaxed settings. It makes them seem like just another guy.

I don't blame them for wanting a bit of privacy though. After being on the field and being yelled at/harassed for 90 minutes, they certainly have earned their time away from the spotlight.

You're right. Any chance to get the team out in the community is another chance to get the brand out there. It's when we think outside the box that has potential to work in spades. I mean, what has more potential? Sending the Crew Action Team to BBR or sending the entire team to Easton or the zoo?

It's a lot better than (my viewpoint) of the CBJ. I only go to a few games here and there, but it seems like they don't do autographs but once or twice per year and you're lucky to get more than three names on your jersey/hat/whatever. After CBJ games, do they do a fan salute like what we get from the Crew? (I honestly don't know.)

I'm of the viewpoint that sure, it can certainly be a lot better, but I'd hate for it to be worse, which it certainly could be.