Pre-match: (2012.08.07) London Olympics : Japan U-23 x Mexico U-23 [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Whispered11, Aug 4, 2012.

1. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end, we should all feel somewhat proud of Japans U-23 team. Its not over, but they are a true U-23 team. Every player is young and look what they did, they are on the verge of getting a medal. Sure, its not gold or silver, but its something!

If Japan wanted to they could have stacked the team with Ryo, Kagawa and maybe some other over 23 players. But they chose to use a team of all 23 and under players. Its disappointing to get knocked out playing your worst game of the tournament and on bad mistakes that lead to goals, but everything leading up to that game was great and they have another one to go. Hopefully they finish the tournament out strong and on the podium but still, they should be proud they got this far.

2. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Mexico the better team. Only wish from me was for Japan to respond better when we went down. Dissappointing but no shame in getting beat in the semi final.

Come on Brazil!!

3. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Is this not a question concerning this particular match?

Thank you for the reply.

4. TODOROKI_11

TODOROKI_11 Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Exactly... We came too far already, much better than anyone expected. Now it´s time to rest and get ready for the final match.

5. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Well, Maya is slightly overaged, and Tokunaga is way overaged. But otherwise, yes this is by no means a team that can say 'we play for the full NT as well'. Nobody else really has like double-digit caps.

Anyway, the result and play was disappointing. But these boys still have long careers ahead (hopefully), so let's hope they take home some lessons, and pick themselves up from this defeat. Starting with the bronze medal match.

6. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why they wanted Tokunaga of all people as their sideback...Gotoku is clearly the better player. IMO hes better than Hiroki too.

This is just a great tournament for Japan who at least will give young players experience for the future, which makes me wonder even more why they would want to play Tokunaga over Gotoku. As with most Asians, Tokunaga looked fairly young so I thought for sure he was under 23(as well as his shaky play).

Its gonna be hard for them to put that one behind them, but that's what they got to do to bounce back for the bronze.

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Japanese fans, I as a Brazilian fan salute your team's great run in 2012. A lot of us Brazilians viewed your team as the more dangerous opponent. I hope we can get past Korea and beat Mexico. Great job, guys.

El_Huero and Majster2 repped this.
  8. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    That goal was because one of our 'defenders' isn't a defender and surely doesn't have a clue what to do on set pieces. Standing behind and opponent and holding him wasn't, isn't and won't be tought by any youth coach around the world (including Japan). That almost cost the team another goal in the second half when the ball was cleared by Suzuki by a diving header from the clear goal...

9. Elreynoaguila

Elreynoaguila Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Congratulations on a great tournament, this was by far the most difficult game for Mexico in the olympics. You have some great talent coming through your system. I don't have any doubts that your senior team will be winning some important games in important tournaments in the future. I hope to see a Mexico vs Japan final in the confederations cup.

Ganbatte kudasai, I hope you win the bronze.

chiva_freak and Majster2 repped this.
  10. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Such nice play from Korea...Japan xcould have played like that as well

11. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Korea taking it to Brazil big time! I smell an upset!

12. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    No one really knows. I was reading about some 'Waseda pipe' after the nominations for this team. This team needed someone like Hondy, or Hasebe, the real backbones of the senior NT. I hope that some guy like those two will be created thanks to this tournament.

13. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Japan's goal was nicely built but Salcido, #3, should've stepped up and closed down the space before the shot was taken.

I mean, if we're gonna be sour patch kids about it, #2 for Japan was holding Fabian in the box and should've been called for a PK had Fabian not scored.

Japan and Korea are not the only teams to pressure the opposing center backs. Matter of fact, that's always been a part of Mexico's game plan.

14. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOOOOOOOOOW, Korea almost scored twice already, two huge chances

15. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    I'm for Korea. Even if I wanna a Bronze Final with them. And even if they hate so much Japan and came here to insult our players.
    It will be very good for all Asia to reach a final in the Olympics. And a win against Brazil it will be priceless (for both the asian teams).

16. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its looking like Japan vs Korea for Bronze...thats going to be an epic match

17. OishiiUdon

OishiiUdon Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Ok, 0-3 for Brazil, you can already start the official Japan - Korea topic.
    Who would have thought of a match like that competing for a medal...
    Even if it's for the bronze, it's gonna be crazy, I foresee a lot of frustration on both sides due to their respective defeat today... I just hope there are no injuries.

El_Huero repped this.
  18. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    LOL we haven't the time to be sad for the defeat with Mexico that we (or at least ME) are going to support them against Brasil and after supporting Korea against Brasil than we will support Japan against Korea itself :D

I think that the final is already wrote: Mexico can't defend against Brazil that will score 3 goals and beat them.
    But the other final for the bronze medal will be far far BETTER and an EPIC MATCH!

19. TODOROKI_11

TODOROKI_11 Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Koreans will play their lives in this game to avoid the army. They have good players, a few that we are used to see with the senior team. If we win it will be a double upset for them, since this team is not even near the quality of the Samurai Blue.

20. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil is a machine, they steam rolled Korea and left no doubt. Mexico really doesnt stand a chance either, but if they can somehow absorb and counter with Dos Santos who is well rested, who knows. Brazil is just too strong and is destined for Gold.

Japan vs Korea is going to be epic, great rivalry, two good teams. Korea looked dead tired against Brazil so maybe thats good news for Japan. But other than that, theyre pretty even teams. The Korean GK is pretty bad though, so maybe they sneak one by him.

21. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Brazil changed their formation from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 (an extra midfielder). Looking forward to the bronze match. We looked good for the first 20-30 min and then we lost our edge after that.

22. -Kodemari

-Kodemari Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Trento, Italy
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italian media coverage of today's game:

http://www.gazzetta.it/Olimpiadi/07...ile-campo-messico-giappone-912169812273.shtml
    The main Italian sport newspaper, La Gazzetta dello Sport, praises both Otsu's goal (defined "splendid") and Otsu in general ("a talented player to be followed closely, playing in Borussia Monchengladbach but maybe deserving a better place").
    http://www.repubblica.it/speciali/o.../news/messico_batte_giappone_finale-40552377/
    The newspaper Repubblica publishes a very long article, with a detailed description of the game and a paragraph about the development of Japanese football and the "rivalry" between the male and the female squad. Brief quotes by Otsu, Sekizuka and Yoshida and praises for the coach, along with Takeshi Satouchi.

23. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    full credit to Mexico today they were awesome. Kinda gave away the second goal but this is the result of their domination. The guys were obviously tired and couldn't keep up with the pace, some of them being horribly exposed (Ohgihara, Sakai), but well. It was fun while it lasted. No point asking why player x wasnt on the pitch, the team fielded was absolutely logical. It's a loss. Gotta swallow it ...

chiva_freak, z0mb1e, Phenom and 2 others repped this.
  24. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Totally agree with you=)

Of course everyone are allowed to be disappointed because Japan stumbled on the final hurdle, but really, looking at how they have performed during the Olympics altogether, can anyone really expect more?

One can critiscize Sekizuka all u want for not using ur favorite player more than he did, or that he was slow with some substitutions etc, but aren't u just focusing on the few bad things then, instead of all the things he have achieved with them?

And the same goes with the players as well . Ogihara screwed up on one of the goal's today, and Gonda didnt have a good day either. Perhaps the wingbacks weren't at their best either, and Kiyotake atleast the final 45 mins didn't manage his playmaker-role as effectively as he did earlier either..... But did we forget what those same players did earlier in the tournament? And besides, all these players collectively surpassed an entire nation's expectation in coming extremely close of reaching the final, and no matter how disappointed u may be then, I don't think u have a legimitate reason to critiscise either Sekizuka or any of the players.

Don't get me wrong, we ARE allowed to disappointed, or even devastated, but by briefly reading through some of the posts here on this board I have to say I raised my eyebrows a couple of times cause I thought they were really out of place. Perhaps I'm the only who thinks that though, but in general I rather wanna focus on the positive things we've seen in this tournament, like for example Japan taking another step up the ladder of world football.

25. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Just record a video with that speech and distribute that between players just as Higa's one...