2011 - Harrisburg City Islanders

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Hax, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Well, the City Islanders suffered a disappointing 1-0 loss at Pittsburgh tonight. It looks like Michael Bullock of the Patriot News was spot on with his projected season opening lineup, as it was:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Hotchkin, Herrick, Becerra, Pelletier, Thayer, Ombiji, Basso, Marshall, Bixler, Calvano, Harrison[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Langley, Seabrook, Bloes, and Angulo all made second half appearances for the Isles, while former Harrisburg and Penn State star Chad Severs set up Shintaro Harada's game-winning goal. I haven't found stats for the match yet, nor did I see it, but the attendance was 1,004 in the 'Burgh. Let's hope the team regroups as they prepare to host Rochester on City Island next week, and let's hope the weather allows them to play and the pitch dried out!

2. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    A couple of things jumped out at me when looking at these stats:

http://www.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?M2:gp::72013+Elements/Display+E+47107+Stats/+2175599

* Pittsburgh outshot Harrisburg 6-3. The goalkeepers had three saves combined. Those numbers seem remarkably low.

* Harrisburg collected 3 yellow cards compared to 0 for the Riverhounds, even though they committed one fewer foul (14-13).

* According to the lineups, Ombiji played as a forward with Hotchkin in the midfield, which makes sense. Perhaps the lineup was more of a 4-5-1 with Hotchkin and Ombiji pressed up higher in the attack? In any case, I look forward to seeing what the team does in terms of formation and lineup next week.

* Speaking of next week, the early forecast is for sunny skies and a high temperature of 68. Perfect! Home opener (albeit two weeks late), free t-shirts, a storied opponent, a new league, all should produce a good crowd. Fingers crossed!

3. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Stats lineup show "Hounds" played 5 defenders with "Isles" starting rookie Herrick and vet Ombiji up top. Line ups sound a bit cautious and seems both back lines and keepers held up. Understand it was wet and windy on turf. Maybe Isles rusty on turf. Let's hope they bounce back on the home field. Line up changes for Isles ?

4. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ouch - first serious injury to Yates cost Isles a player they were counting on to help midfield. Team is already a bit short on squad and need to sign players. What happened to Touray? Need his scoring threat. If another middie goes down or worse, a defender, team is in trouble and season just started. Pezon may be available soon but a dominate player needed to steady midfield and set up forwards. Herrick - a good finisher - still learning the position as USL forward and needs a few good thru balls. Look for Angulo to get more time up top.

Team needs the favorable confines of home park and supportive fans to inspire play. Hope for good weather.

5. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Doesn't anyone read this thread but Hax and me?

Maybe Isles management should contact Sevilla (before other clubs) to sign or take a couple players on loan to solidify/boost their roster. A couple players could be nice fit in midfield and might help finances of Sevilla.

As many of us thought early on, the PR group is shaky, at best.

http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2011/0...c-puerto-rico/

Any thoughts on changes to line up after the U MD friendly?

6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I read the thread. I just haven't had anything to say. If you want I could talk about what I miss about living in Central PA. LOL Starting with Utz chips, Lebanon bologna, birch beer, Yuengling, Turkey Hill iced tea and shoe fly pie.

I would imagine the team is going to go with the Union first when looking for additional players. It's still early in the season, so some other players may become available from other MLS teams.

7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize you can get Yuengling virtually anywhere these days, right? It's my dad and Grampa's favorite beer. (Then again, my Grampa is from central PA himself. :p)

8. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, you can't get it in most of Ohio and west. I live in Chicago and you can't get it here. So if you mean virtually most places on the east coast then you are correct. And the reason that is, becuase I think almost 10 years ago they bought a brewery from Miller in the Tampa area. Unless your talking about a virtual beer on the internet, which I can get, but the flavor isn't very good and I keep getting shocked. LOL

Other things I miss are, the Spot, Zembies, G-Man, Cornerstone Coffee, the West Shore Farmers Market, RackStraws ice cream in Mechanicsburg, the peanut butter eggs made by most churches during Lent, Mr Deli & Mrs. Too. Just to name a few places. Oh, and of course the Farm Show.

9. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I guess talking about beer is better than nothing. Can you still get Heilmanns in Chicagom, or is it Stroh?

Also, another postponement. Not good for the team or fans. Probably means another mid-week match that no one likes.

Let me think, grass pitch in low spot with little run-off or drainage, thunder storm/rainy season, island in major river that often floods or nearly floods and acts as a wind funnel . . . . You would think the team/City has a back up plan - another park suitable for play in the immediate Capitol area. Apparently not.

Granted, the weather is more severe this season than perhaps usual, but this field could be unplayable for the next couple of weeks, especially if there is more rain (likely).

Isn't there a turf pitch anywhere in H'burg? How about Hershey (but than not at all). Candy at the concession stand!

Can the lads get some training in with the Union reserves?

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeungling is widely available here in Charleston; cans, bottles, kegs, in bars. I know it isn't (wasn't) available in GA, Westside 109 asked us to bring a couple cases with us last time we went to Atlanta... We gladly obliged and then helped them drink it! the Canadians who come down for the Carolina Challenge Cup each spring have also taken a keen liking to it. not sure if they can get it there or not.

Tough about the weather once again and can't be good for the supporters.

Mikey

11. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest loss for this is the two gates. At this level, clubs rely on the gate for operating revenue. It's not like they have a huge season ticket base to start the season with. I remember this was always a big issue with the Heat for the time of the Farm Show every year.

One of the press release I saw said that the were looking into options of where to play. I"m guessing they could maybe play at LD or maybe out at Cumberland Valley. I think playing at Hershey would be expensive and of course nothing from concessions.

12. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    The Rochester match has been moved to Tuesday, May 10. This is awful news for the club, they lose consecutive home opener opportunities, and the matches are rescheduled for weeknights when the club traditionally does not draw well. Any momentum from a strong preseason and media attention in advance of the season opener is now lost. The team has to be feeling snake-bitten because in addition to the weather postponements, they lost Drew Yates to a season-ending ACL tear and Sainey Touray's signing supposedly is stuck in limbo because of international clearance issues. As it is, I worried that the team's "move up" to USL-PRO might stretch their resources thin, but losing the revenue from these two matches can't help. I really hope the weather gods smile on City Island for the rest of the season and that the team draws well.

13. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Except for the payrolls, I'm not so certain that "moving up" is an issue as Islanders have been playing most of the Pro teams over the years.

More alarming is that teams have been playing (and working out the kinks) for nearly a month (Richmond is 6-0). In that time, Harrisburg has had 1 struggling match (and a work out with U MD) and a lot of disappointment.

The mental preparation factor is almost as important as the physical and is probably disjointed, at best. As Hax noted, 2 important players are not available. The team is thin and way behind others in match fitness and organization. It will take a huge effort and some luck to catch up. Hopefully the back line and keeper will keep us in the next few matches while the offense gets on track.

Playing midweek games against rivals Pittsburgh and Rochester will not help box office and support, but at least lads don't have to travel, a slight advantage.

The weekend match in NY (against expansion team) will show how much the layoff has affected them. Let's hope their character and spunk raise their level of play and result in a positive result.

14. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Big news for the City Islanders: Sainey Touray has finally "officially" joined the team and J.T. Noone, the club's leading assist man last year and a brief member of the Union, has signed as well. Touray will wear #20 while Noone will sport #16. This is a big boost to the club's offense! Let's hope the weather finally allows the team to have their home opener next week!

16. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    So what happens to the starting lineup with Touray and Noone in the fold? Something like this:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Noone, Touray, Hotchkin, Becerra, Pelletier, Ombiji, Basso, Marshall, Bixler, Calvano, Harrison[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Subs: Herrick, Angulo, Bloes, Welker, Thayer, Seabrook

I might personally start Herrick over Noone. I was never hugely impressed with Noone, but I know the club is high on him. It's an interesting situation because the Union released him, and I wonder how much they care to follow his play in Harrisburg. He's a local boy, and did lead the team in assists last year, so bringing him back is great for the team. But he struck me as a "tweener," he wasn't quite skillful enough in distribution to be a playmaker, nor was he a solid finisher or goal poacher to be considered a true forward. Perhaps more like a #9 or withdrawn forward. Despite my questions, it's nice to plug in two new attackers because this team struggled offensively last season, and I'm certainly hoping Noone proves me wrong and has a great year!

17. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
  18. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, for posting the link. Thanks for the additional commentary.

19. ReadingUnited

ReadingUnited New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Reading United AC
    Hax,

Thanks for the Reading United mention. We'll have more exciting news coming up shortly, plus our season opener on Saturday in Brooklyn.

20. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I would like to see Angulo (strength and savy) up top with Touray (finisher and speed) backed up by Herrick (finisher but not yet strong enough to play with his back to goal) and Noone.

Midfield transition is major concern - not sure Hotchkin up to clever, quick play of Becerra and Basso. Maybe Herrick or Noone on left with Ombiji (speed) teamed up with Pelletier and Calvano on right (in 4-4-2). Look for quality service to forwards from Becerra.

Back line set.

How about (4-1-3-2)

--------------Angulo ----------- Touray --------

Noone/Herrick----------Becerra---------------Ombiji

-----------------------Pelletier------------------

Basso--------Bixler--------------Marshall-------Calvano

-----------------------Harrison--------------------

Bloes (anywhere), Herrick (up top), Hotchkin and Seabrook (R/L wings), Langley, Welker and keeper.

21. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hax,

Thank you for the link. Great stuff as always! It isn't self-promotional... we wanna read it and it is good, keep it coming!!!!!

-Derek

22. Duhawk40

Duhawk40 New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago
    I think Herrick is definitely strong enough to play up top with his back to the net. He is solid and a very tough young man who can create opportunities for others to score and score himself.
    I watched him a Maryland and he ate up big defenders from the ACC schools as well as Cal & UCLA.
    I think Noone will be a big help to a struggling midfield but mostly the Isles need to start their season and get into playing mode.

23. faine01

faine01 Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I wish the union and Islander home games didn't always seem to be on the same days. I really want to come out to a harrisburg game sometime, since its only like 45 mins away compared to 2 hours.

24. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Playing against experienced professionals is a step up from (top) college program, even at USL Pro level. Perry Kitchen (top MLS pick from Akron) is struggling at DC United but will adapt quickly and become quality back. Herrick is a quality finisher but needs some time to adjust to pro game, probably why he became available to Islanders. The sooner he adjusts and becomes successful, the better chance he has to catch attention of NASL or MLS teams. 4-5 goals and similar number of assists this season would be good performance.

25. ReadingUnited

ReadingUnited New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Reading United AC