2011 - Harrisburg City Islanders

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Hax, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Only 3-4 spots open with good bet to be Touray. Haven't given up on Pezon either. He'd be a nice skill player and knows how to play possession. That leaves 1-2 spots. I'm predicting a surprise signing.

However, I'd look for another Defender with some size who can develop over season as solid player coming off bench for Bixler or Marshall. Welker may see time in back with Thayer, or they may work as holding midfielders.

It will be interesting to see how the line ups will develop - speed and attack (Ombiji, Angulo, Seabrook, Touray? and Beccera) or technical and possession (Herrick, Yates, Hotchkin, Beccera, Pezon?). Langley fills in and Schofield gets his share of play.

Pelletier is no brainer based on experience, skill and work rate. Calvano, Bixler, Marshall pretty solid in back with Basso and Bloes competing at left back and Thayer filling in where needed. Strong midfield and forward play (with possession) will enhance the defense and allow them to get forward when opportunity shows.

Pre-season play has been a breeze given the new talent in camp so Saturday's match up with Rhinos will be a welcome pre-opener test (for both squads). Assuming coaches get plenty of play time for their benches and the weather isn't a factor, I look for a very even match.

2. ReadingUnited

ReadingUnited New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Reading United AC
    Wishing all the best for Geoff Pezon. Very talented player, plus he's a local guy from Fleetwood, PA/Messiah, plus tallied a few minutes for the Reading United the past few years.

3. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Reading United,

Like you, I'd love to see the teams link up in a friendly or the Open Cup. I'm sort of surprised Harrisburg and Reading don't play, considering their proximity and links to the Union. Maybe it has to do with the timing of it? By the time the City Islanders kick off league play, Reading still won't have its team assembled, so unless both wanted to play an exhibition mid-season, I suppose it would have to be the Open Cup. Still, it's great to have three tiers of soccer teams (Union in MLS, City Islanders in USL-PRO, and United in PDL) in such close proximity.

buzz99,

Touray and Pezon certainly played swell in the exhibition matches, hopefully they'll sign and it's just a matter of formalities. This does seem to be a much deeper lineup than in years past, and hopefully they continue to jell as a team. I agree that the exhibition schedule was a breeze, I was pretty critical of their preseason matches because other USL-PRO teams were squaring off against MLS and NASL sides, while the Isles were playing NCAA teams (and some mediocre ones at that). I hope they're adequately prepared for the type of competition they'll see in the league, they can't afford to start off the season as poorly as they did in 2010.

4. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading United... thanks for the well wishes and hope you know HCI fans are pulling for you guys in the PDL. I know we have played the Rage in the past and I bet a match between the two may happen this season or next.

Posted on the blog a few updates on player signings.

Zimmerman to Carolina
    Stahl to Fort Lauderdale
    Nunez to Minnesota
    Shipalane still a questionmark... maybe join us mid-season?

I agree the roster looks improved over years past. Competition will be tough hopefully we are up to the challenge. I am excited about seeing new teams visit City Island.

Lets get the season going!!!

5. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Can you shed more light on Shipalane? Is he with a team at all right now? Do you know if the team has been in contact with him? It would be fantastic to bring him back! Also, a shout out to former Islander Sheanon Williams whose long throw-ins continue to set up goals for the Union, both in MLS play and in the Open Cup loss to DC United earlier this week.

6. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    On an unrelated note: We seem to be getting some good traffic on this thread, should we seek a folder for the City Islanders or are we content to just keep tacking things on here?

7. ReadingUnited

ReadingUnited New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Reading United AC
    Let's just say that we've been in contact with Harrisburg. Both sides are interested. Can't say much until it gets final approval, but it looks like everyone will have their wish this season. Details will be upcoming, I'm sure!

8. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    That's fantastic news!! It makes so much sense for both clubs, thank you for the scoop! :)

9. ReadingUnited

ReadingUnited New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Reading United AC
    Not sure how much I can divulge until it becomes public knowledge, but it will be in late-May on a weeknight, and more than likely in Reading.

10. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, getting excited about the upcoming season and being able to watch the Islanders online this season. Going to have to figure out how I can talk the wife into a trip back to the area this summer. Would also try and catch a Reading United game. Could maybe include a stop at the Peanut Bar.

11. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    The City Islanders concluded their preseason preparations with a 0-0 draw against the Rochester Rhinos in Lancaster, PA. Harrisburg went 5-0-2 with wins over Saint Francis, Robert Morris, Temple, Towson, and Penn State, and draws against Villanova and Rochester. They surrendered only one goal all preseason, outscoring their opponents 23-1. However, these games are largely meaningless while the opposition left much to be desired (except for today). I hope the team is ready, because we're a week away from the season opener against Pittsburgh at City Island. The club will unveil their new kits on Tuesday, and a kickoff party is scheduled for tomorrow. One week to go, let's hope the forecast is good and a nice crowd comes out for the Isles' debut in USL-PRO!

12. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sounds like an even match up with Rhinos although weather was not the best (nor was it the worst). First team team shaping up - there will be some nice players with attacking skills. Looks like a team without any superstars but hardworking, skilled players with some pace up top and quality off the bench. Becera, Herrick, Yates, Seabrook and Angulo look like good addtions. It will be interesting to see who gets the nod against R'hounds. 22-23 signed. Still looking for that "surprise" player.

13. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. ReadingUnited

ReadingUnited New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Reading United AC
    I'd suggest stopping at GNA post-game. We plan on having some meet and greets there after games, since they've stepped up as a HUGE sponsor for us this year.

15. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hax,

Shipalane is not with the team. I believe he may be back in South Africa right now. I know they expressed interest in him, not sure what the status is now but I know both sides would consider working something out if possible but who knows.

ReadingUnited,
    I think it is cool you have been posting here. I hope the date can be finalized. Should be fun. FYI- I have heard nothing but great things about the Reading staff from the City Islanders management.

16. ReadingUnited

ReadingUnited New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Reading United AC
    It's my pleasure. We're all here to support the Union, right?

Hopefully with Levi Houapeu being drafted by the Union, we'll create more of a direct path to the MLS and USL-2. If Pezon signs with Harrisburg, that'll be a nice little feather in our cap within the pyramid too.

Thanks for the kind words. And trust me, we have nothing but respect for how the City Islanders do business. Kierstin has done a fantastic job with the limited support she has available.

17. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I expect Pezon and Touray to sign. That might leave 1 spot open.

Hey. How about some help or resources to bolster the City Islanders web site. I firmly beleive jazzing up the web page will boost fan interest, create new followings and maybe spark sponsorship. Are there any web geek Islander fans out there who could work with the team? C'mon, step up. If I had the talent, I'd do it but I'm techno challenged (I don't even have a laptop, smart phone or I-pad, let alone facebook page or twitter account).

18. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Let's do this: Riverhounds at City Islanders, tonight at 7 pm.

Lots of press on this one. First, something I wrote for a blog dedicated to sports in Central Pennsylvania:
    http://thesportsburger.com/2011/04/...body-city-islanders-kick-off-2011-season.aspx

Next, tons of article from the Patriot News:

The facts:
    http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/04/city_islanders_to_meet_pittsbu.html

Interview with Anthony Calvano
    http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/04/q_a_with_anthony_calvano_of_th.html

Outline of USL-PRO and Union-City Islander relationship:
    http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/04/usl_pro_to_offer_city_islander.html

Feature on Brian Ombiji:
    http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/04/city_islanders_1.html

Article on the team's roster:
    http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/04/depth_in-house_competition_and.html

Now the bad news: tonight's weather forecast. Up to two inches of rain is expected to fall this afternoon and tonight, and a flood watch is in effect until tomorrow. I expect the weather, and attendance, to be dreadful. This is really unlucky for the club and its fans, especially since the past two days were warm and sunny. I'll be there, but considering that Skyline has few areas that protect fans from the rain, it should be pretty miserable.

19. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    As I mentioned, the weather forecast is bleak: heavy rains, strong winds, flooding. Thus, the City Islanders sent an email with this mentioned: "Weather may become an issue, visit www.cityislanders.com for any updates." I guess the match could be postponed if things fall apart? Perhaps a Sunday matinee so that the Riverhounds don't need an additional night at the hotel?

20. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Game off! "The Harrisburg City Islanders’ home opener scheduled for today, Saturday, April 16th against the Pittsburgh Riverhounds has been postponed due to poor field conditions caused by the inclement weather. The game will be rescheduled to a later date, which will be be announced soon."

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/518250.html

21. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Game Saturday. Hope some fans make it to support the boys' first effort.

However, the weekly storm front is moving our way again. Let's hope the weather holds for Saturday - warm but 60% chance of rains and
    t-storms. Missing another game will seriously tax the schedule and probably result in mid-week matchs, yeeech.

Any ideas on the starting 11 (Chase in the net is a given)? Injuries?

Should be a cracker of a home opener next week - Rhinos in town!

22. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    The postponed match from this past weekend has been rescheduled for Tuesday, May 31 at Skyline Sports Complex. This sucks for me because I won't be able to attend that date! I also wonder if that kills the Reading-Harrisburg friendly that was supposed to be a mid-week match in late May? ReadingUnited, can you confirm my suspicions?

As for lineups, I'm not entirely sure what the squad will look since I didn't get to any of the preseason matches. But based on reports, I'd guess we'll see something like this:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Angulo, Herrick, Hotchkin, Becerra, Pelletier, Bloes, Basso, Marshall, Bixler, Calvano, Harrison[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Michael Bullock of the Patriot-News projected this variation:
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Hotchkin, Herrick/Angulo, Becerra, Pelletier, Thayer, Bloes/Ombiji, Basso, Marshall, Bixler, Calvano, Harrison[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

In all honesty, I'm not sure what the depth chart is right now. Where does Ombiji play, wide? Is Seabrook going to see minutes before Herrick or Angulo? As soon as Sainey Touray gets his international paperwork, he'll probably start up top. Does Bloes move to left back at the expense of Basso? Is Becerra going to play on the left flank or more centrally? Lots of questions to be answered.

23. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    My vote - 4-2-3-1 with Thayer, Bloes and Welker capable of filling several positions (Touray and Pezon available later - could still use 1-2 more position players). Could drop Herrick and Becerra each back one line into 4-3-3

------------------Herrick-----------------
    -----------------(Angulo)---------------

Ombiji------------Becerra---------Seabrook
    (Bloes)---------- (Yates)--------- (Langley)

----------Hotchkin-------Pelletier-------
    ---------(Schofield)----- (Thayer)-------

Basso-------Bixler-------Marshall-------Calvano
    (Bloes)---- (Thayer)---- (Welker)------ (Welker)

------------------Harrison---------------
    ------------------(Tuttle)---------------

24. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    buzz99,

I agree for the most part, I'd change it up slightly for now:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Angulo/Seabrook, Herrick, Hotchkin, Becerra, Pelletier, Ombiji, Basso, Marshall, Bixler, Calvano, Harrison[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

I like Hotchkin being further upfield, thus my deployment of him more on the left wing. I don't know that I'd really start two rookies up top like Angulo and Herrick, but until Touray is eligible to play, I'd probably start Seabrook and Herrick with Angulo being the late game spark. Bloes becomes Mr. Versatility, plugging in anywhere needed, with Yates and Welker contributing to the midfield as needed.

By the way, I noticed ManU & Barca in your avatar, did you get tix for the DC friendly? If so, who are rooting for?

25. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

not yet - i'll be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love those spaniards :)