2011-2012 CONCACAF Champions League [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2011.

1. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Respuesta: Re: 2011-2012 CONCACAF Champions League [R]

We are very tolerant of foreigners in our country, so we won't understand. You sound like Luis Suarez right now.

2. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the touch foul that made him do such a flop that even Landon Donovan might blush? That came shortly after the obvious handball in the box, where the arm was out just a bit from the body, such that that "hand to ball/ball to hand" judgment was pretty close. That's called "calling it even."

3. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002

Well eventhough people debated on it, it's totally different because Suarez was reffering to a skin color. But gringo is our word, we used it and we are the ones who know how it's used and how it's not offensive. So GTFO with this shit. So now Toronto fans who just got here last week are going to be the ones who tell us what is offensive about our language and what's not. Yeah where tolerant and respectful of other cultures but we are going to explain to you how wrong you are in doing this and how you have to use your languageGTFO.

4. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

only spazzy gringos do that.

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    rotflmao so when u guys went down to Crew stadium and trashed that was classy? how about when u guys booed the Star Spangel Banner was that classy? GTFO with that b.s. I saw all those racist posts on ur teams facebook page now that was reall classy.

6. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

The Canuck should look up the meaning of enthnocentrism.

7. MexicanTeams

MexicanTeams New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I respect that man and I know it comes from the heart, so Im sure you will, hopefully taking USA's spot.

8. MexicanTeams

MexicanTeams New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah and the ref was mexican , how shameful

9. MexicanTeams

MexicanTeams New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hey man chill

10. MexicanTeams

MexicanTeams New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hey man chill

11. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Look man....offensive has nothing to do with language it has to do with substance of what was said. It's not that the word "gringo" is offensive. It's that he said and I'm paraphrasing here, "The foreign referee had it in for us." The inherent implication is that the fact he's foreign is what makes him bad.

Say the same thing in English. It's that "foreign" is an offensive word on its own. It's the substance of the comment. It doesn't become substantively less intolerant because he said it in Spanish.

12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

He called him gringo because he is an American not because he was a foreigner. Why can't you understand that?

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

He called him gringo because he is an American not because he was a foreigner. Why can't you understand that?

14. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Some of our fans had a bit too much to drink and tore a couple of seats up. It's not the first it's happened with a supporters' group. Not our classiest moment, but let's not overblow it.

I believe there were some reasons for that which were situational. Something about them not playing the Canadian national anthem.

Anyways, booing the Star Spangled Banner may have its own merits (but I'll leave my political beliefs out of this).

What was said in particular?...I saw someone write something like, "Mexico is a shithole". I don't like it, but it's hardly representative of our team's fanbase and really isn't anything more than someone mouthing off to another supporter.

Keep in mind, Santos fans basically came to the page to start talking shit. And though my Spanish isn't very good, I definitely saw some shit written like "Pinche gringo". To me that's probably just as bad.

Santos fans = no class.

15. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

What does gringo mean American or foreigner? He could have said American, he didn't.

1 person likes this.
  16. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, I look at this way; football's a funny old game and everything tends to even itself out at some point. I don't honestly think the official had it in for us or that there was some CONCACAF conspiracy to have the US play Mexico in the final. I just think he made a mistake; a huge one but just a mistake (lol).

17. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I have to disagree with you there. We met some pretty cool Santos supporters at the game. They had a Mexican flag and were just having a good time. There were some friendly exchanges and great banter back and forth. It's what fan rivalries should look like if you ask me. Not violence and racial attacks either way.

Look, there are morons on both sides. I've seen posts in this and other forums related to this series that are pretty ********ing pathetic. I'm going to try to avoid the whole "painting everyone with the same brush" nonsense because it's bush league behaviour.

18. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sorry, I meant the guys on here/facebook. I had no issues with the guys at the game. There were some in my section. They were finding it funny when we started the "Culero" chant when one of them wouldn't get up.

19. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hehe. You used that perfectly. Now take off, eh!

20. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If I were I would stop with calling Santos fans classless in this thread.

21. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  22. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I just looked up "Culero!" Lol!

My wife is Colombian and I've never heard that term from anyone in her family and believe me, they've taught me a lot (lol). Is it more Mexican slang?

23. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sadly our Maple Leafs aren't going to make the playoffs...again. If, however, they manage to win the Stanley Cup before I die, the city will probably shut down for a week in celebration.

24. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Back on topic though. TFC wins by 5. Go. ;)

25. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oh I see, this is a Santos forum. Ohw ait it's not.

You just called our team out in the post before, and you're the mod. What does that say about you?

Fair is fair to respond.

Thanks for the infraction btw....now that was some bullshit refereeing (as opposed to Mr. Salazar).