2010 WCQ: Group A: US-T&T-Cub-Gua [r]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by MoRado, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    It was a second yellow card.

2. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Ok, thanks. :cool:

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Am I the only one here that thinks that Guatemala is not gonna advance to the final HEX ?

4. chec

chec Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    I think that they blew it last night.
    Guatemala will win in Cuba but lose against the USA to finish with 8 points

T&T will tie with USA and win against Cuba to finish with 9 points.

I believe that the USA would rather go to T&T than Guat in the Hex. The USA has no fear of T&T. Our fans and stadium are not as intimidating as Guat's.

5. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

I'm looking for a win from the warriors on Wednesday. Nothing less than 3pts since its a home game and teams are expected to win at home. To further your point about the intimidation aspect, the USA needs to be intimidated playing against teams like T&T and Guate. If Mexico can be intimated when they visit the caribbean then why cant the USA. The problem is CFU teams show the USA too much respect. Just look at the warrior game in Chicago on matchday 3 and you'll get your answer.

6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the Guatemalan team are a bunch of dirty hacks and the sooner they're out, the better.

7. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It could go either way. Personally I think the young guns are better than the guys are will be replacing. They've been in hostile situations before and all the pressure is on T&T. If Altidore and company play to their potential they should soundly beat T&T. That said there are a lot of variables and T&T could win this match.

8. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

That may be the case and sure it can probably go either way but USA will still have a hard time playing against the warriors in Port of Spain. The warriors will have some very good young players like Hyland, Daniel, who will be available for selection in the team which could actually be the difference in this one but I agree that the pressure will be on the warriors to win. They will get opportunities against this US team and will have a packed stadium supportbehind them. They should get the 3 pts and nothing less.

9. chec

chec Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    You are so right. Ruiz and company go to ground so easy. They roll around and act like they just got shot.

10. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they do that 30 seconds after fouling you cynically...

Wednesday's game should be the best of the hex. T&T needs the points and are at home. The US has a bunch of hungry young players looking to make their mark. Let's hope it's a clean, exciting game...

11. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I think Guate will win at Cuba, and since USA is in already i think they'll bring their so call Bench warmers, and Guate will beat USA and get the points that they need. I enjoyed that goal from CUba on cry baby "tim howard". :D
    Wether u Gringos like it or not, u guys will be the only ones against 4 Central American teams and sadly USA will stay home watching the World Cup on the new digital tv frequency.

12. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect the Mexicans will be there as well, actually.

And as for the U.S. being unable to withstand the Central American onslaught...well, let's look at the numbers for the past ten years.

U.S. v. Guatemala: 6 wins, 3 draws, 0 losses
    U.S. v. Costa Rica: 5 wins, 2 draws, 3 losses
    U.S. v. Honduras: 5 wins, 0 draws, 1 loss
    U.S. v. El Salvador: 6 wins, 0 draws, 0 losses

Overall, that's 22 wins, 5 draws, and 4 losses against the four Central American teams still in contention. If you leave out Costa Rica, the record is 17 - 3 - 1.

Anything can happen in the hex, of course. But I wouldn't count on seeing all four Central American teams in the World Cup just yet...

13. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think it's a toss-up or even a slight Guatemala advantage.

Both teams will beat Cuba again. The question is whether someone can draw or upset the U.S.

T&T gets to play their last game against the U.S. at home, while Guatemala will be playing in the U.S. So that's an advantage for T&T.

On the other hand, T&T is going to play the team called up for the Cuba game. There may not be as many internationals sought or released for a "meaningless" last qualifying game for the U.S. Advantage Guatemala.

In addition, Guatemala plays the U.S. last, so they will already know whether they need a win or a draw to go through, or even if a low-scoring loss would send them through.

Right now, Guatemala has the advantage on tiebreakers, meaning T&T may need to run up the score against Cuba at home in their last match if both contenders lose to the U.S. Tiebreakers are:

1. Goal diff: GUA leads by 3 goals
    2. Goals scored: GUA leads by 1 goal
    3. Head to head: tied
    4. Head to head goal diff: tied
    5. Head to head goals scored: tied
    6. Coin flip

This is a huge advantage for Guatemala.

Consider the plausible scenario that on Wednesday, the U.S. wins in T&T by 1 goal and Guatemala win in Havana by 1 goal. That would put T&T down by 5 on goal differential, and it would mean that for T&T to have a shot at going through, one of the last two games would have to be a 3-goal or more blowout. And every goal Guatemala can score against Cuba on Wednesday only increases the blowout T&T needs.

So right now I think Guatemala is in a better position. Yes, T&T are more likely to pull off a draw against the U.S. at home than Guatemala is on the road. But if the U.S. beats T&T in Port of Spain (as we did in qualifying in 2005), then Guatemala can coast through to the hex with a low-scoring loss.

14. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I agree with you on that one Chap, its anybody's game between T&T and Guate. The only thing that worries me a bit is that U.S. will have bench warmers against T&T and with Guate i heard U.S. will call all their squad. So T&T will have a slight advantage with that game. But no one said it'll be easy so Guate have to win both games no matter what and not depend on any team.

15. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I honestly think Cuba is gonna park the bus Wednesday night and pull out a draw at home against Guate. I see T&T advancing and Guate staying home watching the hex, which is fine with me and everyone else who hates seeing players dive/cheat/cry.

16. ChapinesROCK!

ChapinesROCK! New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    all ya'll people are haters! Guatemala will advance to the hex and have interesting games with teams like: USA, Mexico?/Jamaica, Costa Rica, Honduras and El Salvador. T&T did what we did to them at their place, get 1 pt, props. now tell me, when was the last time t&t beat USA?? November 19, 1994, o wow that almost 14 years. now what makes ya'll think t&T will beat USA and mess up USA's perfect run through this group??? not gonna happen buddy. Guate beats Cuba, US beats T&T. final round, Guate ties or loses to USA, T&T beats Cuba, Guatemala adances, T&T doesnt, simple as that..............

17. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    crying about what DCFAN, the only cry babies in here are some of the U.S. fans in here. You dont see no Guatemalans crying, oh hit him on the head or this or that. I dont blame you DCFAN, If Guate is the team that always gives U.S. a good game, i'll be saying the same thing that Guate doesnt makes it. Its understandable that you're afraid of facing Guate.
    Im wondering if you would cry about other teams too, Mexico, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Honduras. hmmm, probably yes cause u're a cry baby.

18. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    US is gonna win in guate and ES, tie in Honduras and lose in costa rica, you know that... Estadio Saprissa... booooo, the USNTshits on their pants when they come to Saprissa´s (unless you send the DCU reserves :D )

19. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Youre forgetting that its a home game for the warriors with a packed stadium and the USA fielding their reserves so a win is very likely to happen. If anything Cuba will probably get their first win against Guate in the campaign because Guatemala never wins in "must win" games down the stretch. If you need proof look no further than the latter part of the hexagonal in '05.;)

20. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I don't know you tell me, every time Ruiz gets touched he falls down rolls around 5 times and when the camera zooms in on him on the ground he always looks like hes crying and in excruciating pain. I don't know man, ask him for me and let me know what he always crying about.

As far as you guys been a tough opponent for us....why don't you tell me when the last time Guate beat the US was?? Your gonna have to go back a couple years....or decades.

21. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    DCFAN, im not be here and cry like a little bit$#. So stick to the subject.
    If you want to make a thread about who is crying the most go right ahead!
    But this is a thread about a 2010 WCQ Group A and not about who is crying

22. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Hey Morado, Mexico and U.S. have it very tough for the next hex. Well thats if Mexico makes it to the next round.

23. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this time when we go to Saprissa the game will matter for both of us.

24. fernandolopez626

fernandolopez626 New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Los Angeles
    well well well haha

trinidad is gonna beat cuba +3
    trinidad is gonna lose to u.s.a +0

guatemala is gonna beat cuba +3
    guatemala is gonna tie to u.s.a +1

trinidad ends up with 8 points
    guatemala with 9 :]

p.s avilas back lolz

25. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    How likely are these results? Well I think they have about a 1% chance of happening.

Round 5
    Trinidad & Tobago 0 1 United States
    Cuba 2 1 Guatemala

Round 6
    United States 1 0 Guatemala
    Trinidad & Tobago 1 2 Cuba

18 Points - United States
    6 Points - Cuba
    5 Points - Guatemala
    5 points - Trinidad & Tobago

:D