2010 WCQ: Group A: US-T&T-Cub-Gua [r]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by MoRado, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Group A
    US
    T&T
    Cuba
    Guatemala

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2010 WCQ: Group A: US-T&T-Cub-Gua

Rather than making these group polls where you can vote for more than one answer, I would have made 6 choices in each poll for the 6 possible combinations of teams that can advance from each group.

I expect the United States to advance and I'm not picking a second team right now.

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

go ahead, create them and I will merge the posts

4. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

So it begins.... Guatemala written off as usual, I predict Warner tricks and holes.. leading up to the Last Fixture.. We Must Crush them in Mateo , Ruiz and Co will not Be forgiving.... and not drop points

I made a list of Key Players
    Imho based on latest Nt performances , not Club accomplishments

USA

Lewis, Dempsey, Ching, and Landon

Guatemala

Ruiz, Contreras, Trigueros and Cabrera

Trinidad

Stern, Roberts,

Cuba

Roberto Linares*??? Next deportee /Exile

5. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The US is looking a bit mediocre at the moment, but even the ridiculousness that is Bradley will see them through the group. Cuba will be a tough out, but, ultimately I think they will succumb to the pressure. The Soca Warriors are very lucky to even be at this stage of the competition, and, while they aren't going to suddenly turn into a bunch of no-hopers, I think they are currently in enough disarray that there will be no way back for them.

I'll go with something like this for the hell of it:

Final Standings:

USA - 11 points
    Guatemala - 8 points
    Cuba - 7 points
    T & T - 5 points

6. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

So 3 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss.

Ok, so who in this group do you see beating the US?

I see the US taking 16 points, with the only lost points being them held to an emotional draw in Cuba.

I'll go:

USA - 16 pts
    Cuba - 7 pts*
    Guatemala - 7 pts
    T&T - 4 pts

(Cuba ahead of Guatemala on head-to-head)

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A very key game in this group will be USA v Cuba. If this turns out to be anything like CONCACAF Olympic qualifying, it could create some controversy. Following Cuba U-23s first game, a number of prominent members of the squad defected, leaving them with 13 players for the next game. If Cuba suffers defections of its key players, expect there to be moaning by the teams who dropped points to Cuba earlier about the three easy points Cuba will become afterwards.

8. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All three teams have the tools to draw with the USA at home. thats how i see it. 12 point s for the USA.

9. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would love 16 points, but we aren't going to get them. Hell last time at this stage we advanced with 3 wins and 3 draws (and very very flukey draws in Kingston and Panama City).

And truth be told, the US are very mediocre travelling in CONCACAF. 3 wins and 3 draws wouldn't surprise me either as we are very capable of getting results on in all 3 road matches, but I get the feeling we'll slip up somewhere. Not enough for it to matter though.

10. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

The players that Cuba will take are probably players that have travelled abroad before and had the opportunity to defect but chose not to. It could happen, but I'm not so convinced it as likely as the Olympic Qualifying when many of the players were players likely on their first foreign excursion.

11. TrDm1n3r

TrDm1n3r Member+

Dec 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club América

Cuba 13
    T&T 10
    Guatemala 7
    US 0

12. manudo1987

manudo1987 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Heredia,Costa Rica

:D
    I see the US taking this group with little trouble,the second spot will be a close fight between T&T and Guate, i have my money on Guate to take that spot.

13. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

How did you come to those point totals?

Cuba 13 pts

The only possibility for that point total is a 4-1-1 record

T&T 10 pts

This could be a 3-1-2 or 2-4-0 record

Guatemala 7 pts

This could be a 2-1-3 or a 1-4-1 record

USA 0 pts

0-0-6 only possibility

Now, since Cuba and the US's records are absolutes that means when you add Cuba's 1 projected loss with the 4 US losses not attributed to Cuba the other two nations would have 5 wins, now with the only possible records to achieve those point totals I previously calculated you'd have to go with T&T having a 3-1-2 record and Guatemala having a 2-1-3 record to get the 5 victories. However the numbers don't make sense as Cuba, T&T and Guatemala all have 1 projected draw which is a mathematical impossibility as one of the teams would need to have 2 draws which drastically change the outcome of the points projections as to have another draw would require a result change in a Win/Loss match which means one teams point totals would have to go up by 2 and another team to go down by 2.

Your projections are illogical.

14. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The USA do look medicore right now, but this is a coaching/personnell issue. I doubt the US will look bad with some younger players on the pitch (Altidore, Holden, Torres, Subotic etc.) after the olympics. I think the USA will advance on top but will probably do so later--Much as in 2000 and not 2004.

In the end, I wouldn't write off Guatemala. I think Guatemala will advance handily--They are more talented than T&T, and they will steal points from the US. Cuba will play strong but team defections will hurt them, and I think the best talent they have has already left the squad. Cuba will only really harm T&T. Unless Warner has some really crooked officials, they and Cuba will be out.

15. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You really needed the mathematical dissertation to come to the final conclusion? I mean, really?

16. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

LOL @ Typical Mexican fan.

My picks: USA and Guatemala (as long as El Pescadito continues to play like he has. Everything revolves around him in the Guate Squad)

US 13
    Guatemala 11
    T&T 9
    Cuba 0

17. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Yeah the US finishing last and on 0 points was patently ridiculous, it's just something else about the numbers seemed off.

18. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I think you took him wayyyy to seriously lol

19. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

It's EduarDitto. Why are you taking him so seriously?

20. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

OK, so there is something about this EduarDitto that I am not privy to. Is he a known troll or something?

21. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cuba won't take 0 and T & T aren't winning 3 matches (or getting 2 wins and 3 draws).

But the US and Guatemala should advance.

22. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa

lol didnt know we had a psychic here :D why even bother play the games then:(

23. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I charge by the hour. ;)

But honestly, you are looking at 3 out of 4 against Guatemala and Cuba, a tall order from a team that scraped by Bermuda and is in total disarray right now. Most likely scenario for T & T advancing in my opinion is 2-2-2 and 8 points, which may or may not be enough depending on other results.

But the thread is about predictions, there's always a reason to play the games.

24. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley

Although T&T is in disarray, I don't think we could count out the unfortunate presense of Jack A. Warner and his ability to influence matches in T&T's favor.

With this in mind, I'm thinking that Cuba is gonna get royaly screwed in terms of calls when they play T&T, same goes when they play Guatemala.

If Guatemala is to advance they're gonna have to be that much better, they're playing against Jack A. Warner (Again).

25. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa

Well i don't much like T&Ts chances as of right now, if I'm totally honest, but history has shown that preliminary qualifiers don't always mean much when it comes to group play. That and the hope that things finally settle down here is all that I can cling to, hope wise. As of right now I'm just glad we made it past Bermuda, lol, never thought I'd say that. I'm not about to go about thumping my chest now considering our state of football. But come September overlook us at your own peril, now it will be us with nothing to loose! ;)