2010 WC Qualifying draw is out - predictions and analysis?

Discussion in 'Central America' started by fscat, Nov 25, 2007.

1. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I posted a Wiki link of the draw, it's pretty easy to follow and it's succinct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONCACAF)

So what do we think of the draw?

Here's my brief rundown of where the CA teams drew and their potential for advancement:

Belize - one of the tougher preliminary draws against St. Kitts and Nevis in the First Round. I don't see them beating SKN.

Guatemala - has a First Round bye. Either gets Saint Lucia or Turks and Caicos Islands in the Second Round. Should be easy for them and should get into Third Round. In my opinion they are in the 2nd easiest group for the 3rd Round and if they play well should make final hex. After that, it's a toss-up for the 3rd and 4th spots. I'll abstain from making a prediction on if they'll get the 3rd or 4th spot since I'm biased and am a total pessimist when it comes to my teams :).

El Salvador - should win their 1st Round draw against Anguilla, and advance to the 2nd Round. Here they'll play Panama, who is much improved. I don't see them advancing any further.

Honduras - has a 1st Round bye and either plays Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic in the 2nd Round. If this was baseball, they wouldn't have a shot :D, but it's not so they should advance easily into the 3rd Round Group Stage. In my opinion, this is by far the toughest of the 3rd Round Groups and it's a total toss-up for the second spot behind Mexico. I can honestly see any 2 of the probable other teams (Jamaica and Canada) advancing into the final hex. I'll go with Honduras just on depth, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if they get knocked out here. If they do advance to the final hex, they'll challenge for the 3rd or 4th spot and wouldn't be surprised if they advance to the 2010 World Cup.

Nicaragua - has a tough preliminary 1st Round draw against the Netherlands Antilles (they have some players in the 1st and 2nd division Dutch leagues). Even if they do win their 1st Round tie and get into the 2nd Round, they won't beat Haiti.

Costa Rica - has a bye for the 1st Round where they'll meet either Grenada or the US Virgin Islands. It'll probably be Grenada, which isn't the easiest opponent. The have some players in MLS and England and can be a capable opponent if taken lightly. However Costa Rica should advance into the 3rd Round group stage where they'll be in the easiest group in my opinion. They should win this group and advance into the final hex where I see them getting the 3rd place spot and advancing to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. However I don't think it's a lock and wouldn't be surprised if one of their Central American neighbors beat them out for the 3rd place spot.

Panama - this team has really risen from the shadows and now has a 1st Round bye where they'll meet either Anguilla or El Salvador. They should beat their fellow Central Americans in the 2nd Round and advance into the easiest 3rd Round group. I see them coming in 2nd in this group and advancing into the final hex. They will push for the 3rd or 4th spots and wouldn't be surprised if they advance to the 2010 World Cup.

2. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    i think its going to to be in the first group USA and CUBA
    second group (the hardest) MExico and Honduras
    third group Panama and Costa.
    from there i dnt know but im hoping on this

COSTA,PANAMA, HONDURAS,GUATEMALA going to the WC2010.

3. Delapito

Delapito New Member

Jul 4, 2007
    MIAMI
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Honestly this will happen 1.USA 2. Mexico 3. Honduras 4. Panama

I hope this is what happens:)

4. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    What i would like to see...1. COSTA RICA
    2 HONDURAS
    3.PANAMA
    4. Another CA country or USA or Canada :D

What i think will happen...1. USA
    2. Mexico
    3. Costa Rica
    4. Honduras

I hope the final round is between Costa Rica, Panama, USA, Guatemala, Honduras, and Canada :cool:

5. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    yeh thats whats most likey going to happen...... but i dnt knw men the way honduras has beening playins i sure we will knock out mexico. men would that be something!!!!`

6. barcelonafc

barcelonafc New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Ciudad de Panamá
    i think the hex will be: usa, guatemala, mexico, honduras, costa rica and panama, but i wont be surprised if Canada or jamaica advanced, i mean, honduras have on rambo de leon, suazo, edgar alvarez, maynor suazo and wilson palacios, five europe based players that mkes them a touhg one to beat.
    wee all know thw jamaican talent that plays in the premier, and the rosario brothers, well the are very skilled.
    what about the haitians, i jean jaques pierre play in france, but who else??