2010 Revolution Roster Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Where are the goals going to come from? Do you honestly expect Twellman to come back and contribute? You predicted in the offseason that he'd be healthy for the season opener, when are you going to open your eyes and realize that these things just aren't going to happen? This team doesn't have a goal scorer or enough offensive firepower to win a playoff series, even with Joseph back.

2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we'll just have to see how things play out and whose more correct. :D

3. JumboRev

JumboRev Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Toronto
    Just to stick my hand into the fire,,,,I saw an article about NZ's world cup squad and it said Simon Elliot is unattached and out of contract. I know we're all about the "young kids" and "speed game" but I can't help thinking his experience and linking ability through the midfield might be the yin to SJ's yang.

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I never liked him very much.

And, we don't have SJ's yang anyway right now (if we did, I think Phelan's ying would be just fine!).

5. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think you need to recognize this isn't future tense anymore. Sure, there's plenty of season left to play, but things are playing out right now. I'm getting the distinct impression that you're suspending judgment in order to avoid admitting to some uncomfortable truths.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a win win that way though. At the end of the season, he'll say people are using 20/20 hindsight.

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I come from an outcome oriented world where retrospective analysis of what worked and what didn't work is a critical aspect of improving outcomes. Making hypothetical statements about what WILL happen or asking questions that can only have hypothetical answers may be fun as part of a discussion but they are NOT REALITY and will only become meaningful after the data is in.

8. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sure, retrospective analysis is always important. The Revs really should have done some after 2009. Retrospective analysis needs to turn into foresight at some point, otherwise it's just meaningless navel gazing. That's particularly true in a business where you have a designated window to fortify yourself in order to compete next year. In the sports world, waiting until after the fact is an abdication of responsibility.

More to the point, do you wait for a corpse before you diagnose an illness?

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, I don't remember anyone, except maybe Doc, saying you (Monty) were wrong about that.

I have railed against anyone screaming "dump Twellman!", but I also said (last winter and I stand by it now) just what you said above: plan to be without Twellman, and if he comes back it's a bonus.

Unfortunately, their plan was A) re-sign EJ and hope he can stay healthy (epic fail) and B) draft Schilawski (good, but no Twellman). Twellman is out of contract at the end of the year so, healthy or not, there is a good chance he won't be back for 2011. If they have any allocations left, they have a chance to audition his replacement in the summer transfer window. If the post-World Cup influx of talent doesn't include the Revs, I will be extremely disappointed.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but not surprised

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Initially, I was going to agree with you. But looking back, they have added players during the summer window for at least four years in a row:

2009 - Jankauskas
    2008 - Badilla
    2007 - Nyassi, Mansally
    2006 - Abundis, Oka

So, if they don't sign anyone, I will be surprised. The question is will they sign someone good enough to make a difference?

13. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When are we going to get an announcement on Castro? I don't see him on the injury list and he apparently isn't in NY, so is he totally out of the Revs' plans? If so, is he going to be cut so one of the in-school draftees can audition for a spot? They should be graduating this month, and I remember at least one was a defender, which is where we are shortest on bodies right now.

14. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    This is a fairly big deal. If he didn't play last night, I can't imagine when he is going to get on the field.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sort of refering to the the so called "big names" that Garber mentioned a few months ago.

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A defender and a defensive Mid. Be nice if either one could help out at this point but they might be looking at this team and thinking "do I really want to go to that team?"

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but on the flip side of that, they could be thinking "easy job to win, might as well give it a shot" given they'd probably get into the starting lineup relatively easily, especially the d-mid (Phelan? c'mon) compared to most professional teams.

18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Joker in the deck right now is Castro. When a players isn't listed as injured and he can't make the bench that says to me he's tagged to be cut and the only reason he's still with the team is his replacement isn't available yet. The real question is who that player might be? A rookie looking to make the team or someone who needs to wait for the transfer window?

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could be that they just wanted to sit him out one more game until this weekend. I don't buy that the Revs have a player in waiting, just not the Revs. I do however hope you are correct and they are going hand him his walking papers or in his case limping papers

20. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're kidding, right? Almost any college player -- especially one who weren't among the top dozen or so draftees --- is going to be thrilled to have a chance to try out for an MLS team.

I'll bet Nicol and the Revs have a pretty good reputation with kids coming out of college. Over the years it has been a good team and it has certainly been a good spot for draftees. It is frustrating to be a Revs fan right now, but I'll be draftees feel differently than fans about the organization. Besides, like RevsLiverpool points out, the current problems probably look like opportunity to trialists.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if the new CBA has a drop-dead date where if you drop a player, his salary for the rest of the year isn't on your books. They might be waiting till that point to drop Castro (ala Franchino). Or they'll just keep him on the roster till the August window. At this point, it does appear very much that he's not needed (or wanted).

22. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, we have two draft picks that are graduating very soon. Perhaps Castro is keeping a spot warm until/if one of them impresses.

23. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post makes my head hurt.

24. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest you take two Aspirin and call Monty in the morning.

25. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had another signing in the wings, wouldn't we just cut him? I seem remember back in 2007 (when the revs were really good) that they cut Daniel Hernandez in May or something even though they didn't have anyone lined up to come in. Then we sat with empty roster slots for what felt like an eternity while Gary Flood sabotaged our challenge for the Shield.