2010 Austin Player thread

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by rickbendes, Jan 22, 2010.

1. rickbendes

rickbendes New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good :)

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Lawrence Olum

Ha. I just saw that email and was about to post.

We're poaching players from other teams. Not sure this is necessarily that awesome, as it's a player from a team that was marginally better than us last year. But, hey, I'm glad to at least start seeing some players. That's two.

3. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't necessarily call it "poaching" if the team doesn't exist anymore. Maybe "rescuing" for the good players (which I hear is the category Olum is in) and "salvaging" for the not so good players. I've not done much research (really none) on Lawrence, but what I hear from Brian Quarstad (Inside Minnesota Soccer, and someone I respect) is that he's a really quality signing. I'm willing to bet he's not the last northern transplant before all is said and done.

5. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh don't be so (insert descriptive adjective here) about it! We are welcoming here in Texas and are pleased that Lawrence has come aboard for the Austin Aztex. I wish a great year and alot of success with the club.

6. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One things for sure between Yordany, Sullie, Tintin and Lawrence "The Cat" thats a pretty deadly quatrain of crossers an pochers.

Now all we need is either another Fox in the box (like Eddie) or a true stand up forward (like "The Gift" only more mobile) an methinks we should see a vast increase in our goal total.
    I'm thinking a Ricardo Fuller type who can get stuck in inside the box but who isn't just a post to aim at.

7. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005

Looks like Larry was called up for the Kenyan national team recently. Alejo will be interested to know his nickname is 'The Cat'. We could have used his heading ability last year.

http://www.kenyanfootie.com/news.php?NewsID=270

In light of the fact that the stated purpose of our team is to feed Stoke, I wonder if it's a coincidence that both our recent signings have international experience (since that makes it easier to get a work permit in the EU).

8. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

uhuh. Knew the first part all ready, but since when is our "stated purpose" to feed Stoke???
    If that was the case then why is Phil dropping the U23 side and continuing with the pro side, which is made up of players that would have to be bought and paid for by Stoke, and anyone else for that matter.

As mgray has stated time and time again are only "official connection" to Stoke is through Phil and the sharing of interests and resources partnership he has made with them, same as with Monterrey.

Sorry if this reply sounds a little tirs Frog, nothin against you personally mate.

9. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As I mentioned in an article late last year that dealt with the absence of a U23 side, the gap will be short lived, and was not purposeful for this year..

10. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005

No offense taken.

To his credit, I don't think Phil makes any attempt to suggest otherwise. This is a feeder team. That is not to say that it could not turn into something else over time. Also, that doesn't change that fact that it's our team here in Austin and we are supporters. I certainly don't have a problem with it. I would love to see one of our players in Europe. Also, without this arrangement we would not have pro soccer in town. The same arrangement exists for the Round Rock Express, the Austin Stars hockey team (is that what they are called?).

11. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lawrence is a very good signing for you guys.

They call him "The Cat" for his leaping ability? Great guy in the air but that certainly is not how he got that nickname.

12. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They're called the Texas Stars. I also agree with your statement on this being one of the reasons we got the Aztex. Phil and Co. have never hidden their focus for the team. Honesty, consistency. Wow, what a concept in a sporting organization.

13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007

I don't mind a lot of player turnover, but if you want to build a fan base, you have to win -- or at least, win more than we did last season. I grew up in a Triple A baseball town that supported its team well, despite very large personnel turnover. But it's a fragile thing economically, starting a new franchise. And I think some success on the field is a necessary ingredient at this stage.

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I see that said a lot, but, seriously, if winning were required of every team to succeed, then at least 50% of the teams would fail.

Now, with soccer, there's some that would argue that they do.

But there's a lot more that goes into a franchise's success and survival than winning.

As a fan, hell, yeah, I want my team to win.

But on a more practical level, I want the Aztex to be around for many years (and winning more often than not as an aside). And I hope they can figure out that magical brew of marketing and on the field success that does that.

15. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well getting this thread back on track. Has any one heard, or seen, a Ricardo Fuller type forward on the market to complement our Middfield fab four of Sullie,Tintin, The Cat and El Rifle?

16. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ruud Van Nistelroy?? No wait, he's been taken by Jerry.

17. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just a thought from a fan in new rival town St. Louis:

I saw Olum play for the PDL Lions once, he's definitely good.

18. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin re-signs Johnson, Bernard

Key players sign new two-year deals

Austin Aztex News Release - www.austinaztex.com
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010

AUSTIN, TX -- The Austin Aztex announced that forward Eddie Johnson and defender Kieron Bernard have each signed new two-year contracts with the club, pending USSF approval. Both players were standout players in the Aztex first professional season in 2009.
    [​IMG]

Read more here: http://www.austinaztex.com/news/headlines/index.html?article_id=244

19. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Austin re-signs Johnson, Bernard

A quick and friendly note...

It's bad etiquette to copy and paste the entire contents of a press release into a post. You can quote certain pieces, but if there's a full press announcement you want folks to see, link to it in your post. The hosting websites need the traffic, too.

20. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thanks...but that was not the entire press announcement
    I made sure of that

21. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right. You just copied a majority of it.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So are Austin fans glad these two are sticking around?

23. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Absolutely (at least this fan). Eddie did a great job up front, and paired with Jamie Watson, will frustrate defenders for the opposition.

Kieron Bernard is also welcome back. I've heard that his work off season has really benefited his game. He was actually being looked at by Stoke for a couple of weeks last Fall. Unfortunately, it came down to an inability to get a work permit as he's not done much Int'l play. In talking with him a couple of weeks ago, he's really focused on getting into top form so he can make an appearance for Jamaica, and potentially resolve the work permit issues. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kieron depart after this season over seas (if not sooner).

We've also got some good announcements in the next few days on another striker and a good left back.

Only real question now is the CBA, and how it affects our pre-season friendlies.

24. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This fanatico is happy to have EJ and Keiron back for sure.

Quality bhoys and players the both of them and with EJ going forward with the, soon to be, best Midfield quartet in the league behind him and with Keiron having some better quality help at the back, the RAW is gonna take all commers this season. :D

25. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I just got an email that leads me to believe they will announce the striker today.