2010 Asian Games [R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by jonny63, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Exactly. It had nothing to do with Iran.

2. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Exactly. It's ridiculous how some members try to take this into their gloating agenda. If we were to really talk about the "most decorated team", what other team is more decorated than Korea in this continent anyways?

With the amount of taunting and jeering by the Korean public after losing to UAE, with an exhausted body and mind, this certainly was an emotional moment. This was about fighting for your one last wounded pride and dignity.

3. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Oh no no, they must have been crying that day because they lost to the most decorated and mighty, mighty mighty Koreans! and they know it! :D

The Korean news media boards (not football boards) were packed full of jeers and taunts towards the players all the time even when they were winning the games. Even when Park Chuyoung scored and won, the fans taunted him "Go to the military!" for missing one opportunity. Park Heesung was criticized for getting in through this "college connections", the head coach was criticized for bringing in his "connections", and being the head coach through his connections to begin with. Just about every major player was condemned for ridiculous reasons, and the players knew it.

And together with the comparisons with the baseball team(that easily won gold), the pressure had been surmounting forever.

4. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    sorry to barge into this conversation
    is there 'another way' to get military exemption then?

5. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LCY (Lee Chung Yong) doesn't have to serve in the military because he dropped out of middle school.

That's one way.

There are other ways but the whole process is complicated.

6. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    thanks for the reply
    two more questions
    1) does top 4/winning asian cup 2011 offer military exemption?
    2) given that Lee Chung Yong dropped out of school, would that actually recommend more soccer playing kids to drop out of school? (to prolong their soccer career)

7. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Nope. Asian Cup does not apply. Only the Olympics medal (any color) and Asian Games (gold) matter. Just up until couple years ago, being in the round-of-16 at the World Cup was a part of the deal, but that is no longer in effect. Yes, it's stupid considering how Asian Games is a meaningless tournament for football players compared to the World Cup.

Not that much. Because if you don't become someone like LCY, any other "middle school dropouts" will forever end up as a elementary school as the final education. That would be a lot to risk for any Asian parent, right? ;) The kid will then probably end up delivering pizza or something.

So, in short, winning a medal at the Olympics CAN save them from the military duty(and that's pretty much the last chance for Park Chuyoung), but that's really not an easy task.

8. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yet, you haven't won the Asian Cup in half a century , and Asian Games in quarter century. "Decorated" means decorated with continental medals and titles. Japan, Iran, and Saudi Arabia are all more decorated than South Korea at senior level. Now before you bring up World Cup qualification, that's not a title to be decorated with, but you have done better other Asian teams in that category. That, however, does not make you the "most decorated team in the continent", when you haven't been able to win the same continent's main title after 50 long years.

9. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I would willingly trade an AC or an AG medal for consecutive WC appearances and a round of 16 finish at the World Cup. But that's just me.

10. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    :)

Have fun with your decorations, Mani.

11. Zafaraniyeh

Zafaraniyeh Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Again, ANOTHER Iranian - Korean argument that stems out of a game. What's wrong with both sides? It's one thing to comment on the game but in each of these arguments, some Korean members begin to attack and scrutinize Iran (and not just in footballing terms). If the Koreans have a problem with how some Iranians conduct themselves here (and while there are some, there are no less Korean members who do the same), why do they play into it EVERY TIME? From one angle, they accuse the Iranians of having big egos and consider themselves humble but from the other angle, they have no problem being caustic and laughing at our team and country.

I haven't been a member here for too long as opposed to others and I've kept myself out of these arguments but seriously, why can't both sides just control themselves? I'm personally not here to join anyone's bad side and have done my best to reserve emotions when discussing football here but this cynical, critical, and egotistic attitude needs to subside FROM BOTH SIDES.

In other words, congratulations for the win. I fell asleep during the 75th so when I woke up and found out the score... :D

12. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You see here is the main problem. You guys always talk in passing and make tongue in the cheek comments and when someone calls you on it then it becomes about missing the points it is like arguing with women. He exactly used words like from Korean player perspective Iran is a "mid ranged team" and Korean players are so much better because they have played in the quarter finals of a world championship. All I am saying is get off your high horse, I don't give a flying ass about tears from Korean players and main reasons behind them all I am saying is that the actual event that took place on the field showed no such huge gap between Korea and Iran.

Now you can go on.

13. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEX5W_Bh_Go"]YouTube - [Goora8Real] Korea vs Iran - AG2010 Football 3rd-Place Match 101125[/ame]

6:45 onwards.

. . .

. . .

14. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Who says there was a huge gap between the teams?

This whole argument started when some Iranian posters posted pictures of the Korean team crying after the match and made claims that Iran must be soooo important to Korea based on the player's tears.

15. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Let it go, guys. Not going to ask again.

16. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    why dont you just PM korean football? he has wrote a 2 thread page essay and i didnt even bother to read it... im sure some others didnt either lol.

17. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I do want to let go and that is why I am not getting into the tears or hugs after the game which has no business being discussed in this forum. However I think this is a football forum and if someone wants to make an unsubstantiated claim after a 4-3 game that one team is mid ranged and the other team is well ahead then we should discuss this and point out how ridiculous such a claim is!

Caesar what will it take to bring Asian Rivalries back? lets face it World Rivalries is just too big of a pond for small Asian fish to play in and that is why we keep seeing this rubbish float here in main forums disguised as soccer talk. There is no shame in admitting when one is wrong and I think you guys gave it a good go and it is really not working. Pages and pages of pretentious non-soccer related discussion really does my head in there should be a wasteland that you can just cut and paste this rubbish to and get the fools to go play there.

18. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    That's fine, but there's a line between football discussion and basically winding each other up. If people want to analyse the game and the strengths and the weaknesses of each team, do it here. If people want to speculate about what players crying means, or just generally measure dicks, that's why we have WR.

Asian Rivalries will never come back. The admins didn't want it originally, hated it when it existed, and have no interest in bringing it back. It was a worse cesspool than WR and the fights from AR bled into all the other forums to the point where they were worse than they are now.

The wasteland where rivalries talk goes is WR. I think I will be a bit more proactive in splitting threads and sending stuff there from now on.

19. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    why cant you just make AR then moderate it better? it is not our fault you let anything fly when it was there! simply put a sub forum in WR saying AR. otherwise we will make you suffer for the rest of your time here and you KNOW you cant contain us.:D

20. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Enough fingerpointing about who is to blame for the arguments please.

It's not our job to babysit posters, either in Rivalries forums or otherwise. skipshady left BigSoccer entirely basically because of all the extra work and headaches created by AR. It also made things worse for the other forums because people didn't know how to leave fights in Rivalries and took their feuds into every other forum. Most BS Asia posters are more sensitive than the guys who post in WR.

There's a forum request section in Customer Service, if you like you can start a thread there and take it up with the admins and the WR mods. I do not much like your chances though.

21. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    You can swing it however you want. But the reason why we're discussing is because Mani wanted to skew the meaning behind the tears and make Iran sound like Brazil or something. Which is entirely ridiculous. The reason why I brought up "mid range", was because this Korean team has been facing much tougher opponents(like UAE), and Iran is in no position to be likened as of some sort of a "ridiculously strong team that brings the tears from the players" just because they beat 'em.

My point is: No Iran had nothing to do with it although some of you may want to think so.

22. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    With all due respects to the other asian teams that participated in the asian games, Korea's objective going into this micky mouse tourney (as always) was the gold so that a whole bunch 23 kids can get their military exemption and hence salvage 2 priceless years of their footballing career before they are 28 years old (which is their prime). Surely nobody in Korea thinks this tourney is a walk-over considering the pedree and the teams that participate, without the military obligation on the line, this would really be a micky mouse tourney.

For a team that played 240 minutes of football in a span of 3 days and lose outright at the last 5 seconds against UAE and missing the chance for that military exemption was too cruel for most of the young kids. It's like running a marathon and leading for most of the race and then suddenly at the last 5 meters before the finish line your knees can't cope and you lose the 1st place. You can call it harsh, unlucky call it whatever. Football is a game of moments, comprising of many moments of brilliance something like what life has to offer. No matter how good or long you've been playing the game, you are bound to be stunned by such brilliance. No matter how long you've lived, how good you've lived, you're never know when you're gonna die and figure out life, because life is a life-long learning experience/journey.

The tears in Park Chu-young is a touching one, as he's very notorious for having a poker face. The reason why he cried was because he has realized the hardship of life and how football is teaching how to live his life. Remember, this 3rd place match was of ZERO value to the players, having rested 1 day after the 120 minute match, they were bound to lose with no motivation and no insentive at hand as the bronze doesn't get you the exemption. But because his teammates showed the fighting spirit to still play as a professional till the end and reap a result, he was touched. I don't think he will ever along with his team-mates, forget the priceless experience this micky mouse tourney gave to the young koreans, in a way to these players, the gold and the military exemption combined has of little value compared to the bronze because of the above mentioned circumstances.

This generation of players will be stronger than any of the generations korea ever produced thanks to Guangzhou!

23. Zafaraniyeh

Zafaraniyeh Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Great post. I agree completely that this tournament was rather pointless and that South Korea probably had the most to gain by winning. In addition, you're completely right when you say that football is a game where life lessons can be taught. Taking the senior side as example, were they not disappointed that they did not progress to the 2nd round in 2006 due to a controversial call? Of course. But they responded in 2010 by making the second round and nearly went even further.

As for us Iranians. We're disappointed that we didn't make the WC, and have failed on the youth stage consistently. However, I try to remain hopeful that our team can bounce and perform better next time. Some people may come and say that the government is to blame. Probably, however they'll go away in time and in the present, we can look to North Korea for motivation. Are their facilities much better than ours? I doubt it, yet they've done very well in the youth tournaments and even made it to the World Cup.

Anyway, hard luck to both sides for not being able to win gold but another day will come. As for now, we can turn our attention to the 2011 Asian Cup where we may possibly face one another for a 5th consecutive time in the QF. :D

24. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    What's more amazing is with the outside-world blocked, they have no way to see the world football's trends. This team will be a team to watch. They will always have that sting.

+1

well said.

25. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    excellent idea. no remove my yellow card so i can carry out your suggestion.